123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AEBS Signal Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalManiac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: AEBS Signal Issues Reply with quote

I live in a 2 story + basement apartment home. I keep my AEBS in the basement. Machines include two 11n laptops, one 11n desktop one 11b AEX.

I get perfect reception an all floors. However, when I go to the backyard, literally 15 feet from the router, I get almost no reception (one bar that comes and goes). Any idea why this would be the case? Is there some sort of directional setting I can change?
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wireless is like that. you need a repeater or another antenna at the basement window that faces the back yard

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
MetalManiac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
wireless is like that. you need a repeater or another antenna at the basement window that faces the back yard

Sadly there are no windows to the backyard. Is the window necessary? That is, can the outer wall of an old 2-family house really block the AEBS' signal?

This never happened with my linksys g router. In fact, I could use machines in the backyard with the linksys in the middle of the first floor, more than 3 times the distance I'm trying ti get working now.

Would switching to a g-only network change the reach of the router? Goodness I'm confused.

Perhaps I'll try to go the antenna route. Do all antennae involve opening the AEBS and replacing one of the existing antennae? Can anyone suggest a good one?
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalManiac wrote:
Sadly there are no windows to the backyard. Is the window necessary? That is, can the outer wall of an old 2-family house really block the AEBS' signal?...

YES just have the right piece of metal and o well.

MetalManiac wrote:
Perhaps I'll try to go the antenna route. Do all antennae involve opening the AEBS and replacing one of the existing antennae? Can anyone suggest a good one?

The antenna route may be best.

Don't feel too bad I live in Howell NJ 5 different military bases form a circle around my home. All no closer then 5 miles or more then 30 miles.
When they put jets and radar planes up in the air over my town wireless is just about impossible for me and my neighbors. I have everything hard wired I gave up trying to do wireless.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: