123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7200rpm 100GB Drive in PB worth it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e3mw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: 7200rpm 100GB Drive in PB worth it? Reply with quote

This weekend I'm planning on buying a 15" powerbook (I've sold my 12" iBook and some other stuff to get up the $ for it.)

While I was configuring the PB online I saw that for $200 extra you can get a 100GB drive that spins at 7200, I want an opinion from you guys, is that extra Rpm worth the extra $200 in a Powerbook with 1GB of Ram?

I'm going to be doing lots of stuff with the PB
- moving all my Garageband work to it
- video editing
- games (possibly)
- all the regular computing tasks, internet, e-mail, music, pictures, video etc.

What do you guys think?

/e3mw
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't think the extra 20GB is worth $200. I would also be a little concerned with the extra heat and noise a 7,200RPM drive is bound to make. I'd think about putting that $200 towards a Cinema display, more memory, or AppleCare.
iLife's a Bitch!
e3mw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out that my student discount takes a nice chunk out of the price increase for this upgrade... so money's not much of an issue anymore, but I'd still like to hear more of your opinions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
xyzzy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that the hard drive is the weakest link in most of today's hardware configs, it's typically money well spent. In fact, we are evaluating new notebook standards for our company and we are considering making 7200 RPM drives our standard. That said, if you were a bit enterprising you could greatly reduce the cost of going 7200 RPM by purchasing one separately and selling the included 5400 RPM for a decent chunk of change. I think 80GB 7200 RPM drives are going for around $180 from newegg.com.

So my take is that the performance gain is worth having, but as usual, not at Apple prices. How's that for a confusing opinion? Laughing
xyzzy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a question that might factor into this: Which 1GB memory option did you take? The reason that I ask is that if you are working within a budget and the choice is either to take the 2x215 option and upgrade the HD vs. take the 1x1GB module and not be able to do the HD upgrade, I would do the 1x1GB option with no HD upgrade. The reasoning is that it would be nice to keep the other SO-DIMM slot for adding even more memory later.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with G5G5. I would probably be happy enough with the standard 80GB 5400rpm drive. My friend has a 7200rpm drive in his T42 Thinkpad. He is always complaining about how hot the palm rest gets. I'm not saying the PowerBook will act the same way. The PowerBook's hard drive is underneath the trackpad. I could probably stand a little more noise for the gain in performance.
e3mw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went up to the Apple Store today (Earlier than I had expected Wink ) and bought their "ultimate" powerbook. It features everything I mentioned above except with a 100GB 5400rpm drive - since this was the only type HD they had in stock I wasn't going to be picky.

So far I am in love with the Powerbook, it's amazing!
Ranter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 15" PowerBook about a month ago, and I'm very pleased with mine also.

I went for the 120gb 5400 RPM drive because I wanted to maximize storage over speed. It's great.

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate you guys! Wink

e3mw will this speed up the completion of the Devo tracks you're mixing for me? Laughing

For real, Garageband should look really good on the PowerBook's new higher resolution display. I haven't had the chance to see the new models person.
xyzzy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new addition!! Now you can truly fit in when you have a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: