123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How fast does the net connection have to be to stream?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gibmini

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: How fast does the net connection have to be to stream? Reply with quote

I've got a crappy 2Mb adsl connection. Will this be fast enough to viably use the stream new movies from itunes service on the new atv?

I download from itunes at the moment and then play later on my atv. I'm wondering if I will be able to use the new service with my connection.

Cheers,

GM

iPhone 4S
2.3GHz latest gen macbook pro, 2.4GHz latest gen Mini, 1.83GHz Mini, 2.0GHz Macbook
160Gb 1st gen ATV & 2nd gen ATV
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without doing any calculations, I would say that there will not be any issue with SD. The question is with HD, and I would guess that it may be challenged. Perhaps through buffering all would be fine, might just take a while before the buffer is loaded.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
gibmini

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Thanks ez Reply with quote

I hope you are right. I'm considering getting the new atv to replace my own, but I'm worried that actually my older version might be better due to the performance improvement due to having some of my movies locally stored.

tricky...

iPhone 4S
2.3GHz latest gen macbook pro, 2.4GHz latest gen Mini, 1.83GHz Mini, 2.0GHz Macbook
160Gb 1st gen ATV & 2nd gen ATV
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
bnumerick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be fine. With my 5Mb connection HD starts playing within 30 seconds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: