123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Display / Dell Ultrasharp U2311
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expensive, but worth every penny. Probably not exactly the type of monitor you are looking for but thought I would throw it out there. Love this thing:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689880-REG/NEC_PA271W_BK_SV_MultiSync_PA271W_BK_SV_27_Widescreen.html
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
I hate monitor shopping. You always want to second guess if you made the right choice. Confused

I hear you.

I know Apple displays aren't for everyone, particularly glossy. However, I bought a Samsung years ago and I ended up bringing it back and going with a 20" Apple Cinema Display. I ended up paying more for the Apple, but I've been 100% happy with it for 5+ years now.

It doesn't need to be Apple, but all I can say is don't compromise. You may kick yourself in the butt once (when the Visa bill arrives), but that's better than kicking yourself in the butt numerous times for years wishing you hadn't compromised.

So Smitty, I suggest you get what you truly want. It's not like you are an occasional computer user. Your computer is part of your life. A monitor isn't like a back-up drive. You use it every day for years.

Don't cheap out. Treat yourself buddy.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
TonyMontana wrote:
The Dell U2311H looks like a nice monitor with good reviews. Probably one of the cheaper and decent IPS panels you can buy.

I hate monitor shopping. You always want to second guess if you made the right choice. Confused

I hear you.

I know Apple displays aren't for everyone, particularly glossy. However, I bought a Samsung years ago and I ended up bringing it back and going with a 20" Apple Cinema Display. I ended up paying more for the Apple, but I've been 100% happy with it for 5+ years now.

It doesn't need to be Apple, but all I can say is don't compromise. You may kick yourself in the butt once (when the Visa bill arrives), but that's better than kicking yourself in the butt numerous times for years wishing you hadn't compromised.

So Smitty, I suggest you get what you truly want. It's not like you are an occasional computer user. Your computer is part of your life. A monitor isn't like a back-up drive. You use it every day for years.

Don't cheap out. Treat yourself buddy.

Yup! I agree with both of those sentiments. I just wish I could go and look at a Dell display before I spend the money.

My display that just died, has a glossy finish. At first I wasn't sure if I would like it, but now matte displays just seem to lack vitality in their color performance.

I'm not even sure which of the two displays will give me wysiwyg performance with the rare bit of design stuff that I do, but I'm leaning towards the 23" display to accommodate my old eyes with some bigger pixels. Wink

ez061111, that is a mighty fine display, and after looking at FULL HD for a day, I'm relieved to see that some monitors go beyond 1920 by 1080!

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
DewGuy1999

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
philiparcario wrote:
This viewsonic has good dot pitch.

Interesting. I didn't know anybody discussed dot pitch since CRT days. I wouldn't have even considered this spec on an LCD.

It can make a difference. Here's an example:

Dell Ultrasharp U2211H - 21.5" diag. - 16:9 - 1920 x 1080 - 102.46ppi - 0.247mm pixel pitch
Dell Ultrasharp U2311H - 23.0" diag. - 16:9 - 1920 x 1080 - 095.78ppi - 0.265mm pixel pitch

Because the U2211H had a higher ppi (pixels per inch) and a smaller pixel pitch the same thing will appear smaller and sharper than on the larger U2311H. A good tool for finding all this out (for those manufacturers that don't list it) can be found here, Display PPI (Pixels Per Inch) Calculator.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you send the Dell back if you don't like it?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

I'm sure I can, at my expense I would imagine. But wouldn't it be easier to just go somewhere and look at them to compare with other displays?

When I spent two months looking for a flat panel teevee, I looked at sets every week, and then looked them up at the AVS Forums. I was shocked to read about people buying two or three different displays and setting them up and seeing which looked the best and returning the others. Maybe since I worked in retail (a looooong time ago!) I'm not keen on returning something I didn't plan on keeping in the first place. Much like people going out and buying fancy home theater setups for the Superbowl and then retuning the whole kit and caboodle after the game.

With Computer City, ChumpUSA both gone there aren't really any places for checking out stuff. My only options are Frys and Costco at the top tier, and then office stores for the second tier. I spent half an hour at Frys just trying to get the guy that was "in charge" of the displays to set up a sequence of pics and vids that would actually demonstrate the displays. After I convinced him to do it, he let the pictures run for a few minutes, and then went back to the halloween pictures which were great for showing black levels and red/orange.

I just wanna go and get a display!

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
DewGuy1999

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

I'm sure I can, at my expense I would imagine. But wouldn't it be easier to just go somewhere and look at them to compare with other displays?

When I spent two months looking for a flat panel teevee, I looked at sets every week, and then looked them up at the AVS Forums. I was shocked to read about people buying two or three different displays and setting them up and seeing which looked the best and returning the others. Maybe since I worked in retail (a looooong time ago!) I'm not keen on returning something I didn't plan on keeping in the first place. Much like people going out and buying fancy home theater setups for the Superbowl and then retuning the whole kit and caboodle after the game.

With Computer City, ChumpUSA both gone there aren't really any places for checking out stuff. My only options are Frys and Costco at the top tier, and then office stores for the second tier. I spent half an hour at Frys just trying to get the guy that was "in charge" of the displays to set up a sequence of pics and vids that would actually demonstrate the displays. After I convinced him to do it, he let the pictures run for a few minutes, and then went back to the halloween pictures which were great for showing black levels and red/orange.

I just wanna go and get a display!

SC

With Dell, I believe it's a 15% restocking fee as well as the buyer paying the return shipping costs.

I've got the same problem here, with only having access to Best Buy and Staples. Neither of which sells the Dell Ultrasharp monitors. Actually I'm not sure that any B&M (brick and mortar) retailers sell them. I believe that current line of Ultrasharps use some form of an IPS panel, most (if not all) the monitors that you'll find in the consumer friendly B&M stores are displays with TN panels, so finding something similar isn't even possible.

About 3 years ago the Mrs. needed a new monitor and wanted a flat panel as well as one of the new fangled widescreens. We went and looked at Best Buy, Circuit City and Staples. If I remember correctly Staples had very little in the computer area and I don't think they had anything widescreen. Best Buy and Circuit City had an assortment, but in almost every case, they were either set to a resolution lower than the monitors default resolution, or the image was stretch to fill widescreen (most were) or were running some kind of demo. Combined with the bright store lighting and the near impossibility or doing an actual comparison we gave up and did online research and purchased one from Dell.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the order is in for the U2311 with the 25% discount. Sadly Dell must have some sort of store or something up here in Washington, since they charged me sales tax. Sad

It's expected to arrive by the fifth of October! Shocked

SC

Make sure it has pins!
DewGuy1999

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Well, the order is in for the U2311 with the 25% discount. Sadly Dell must have some sort of store or something up here in Washington, since they charged me sales tax. Sad

It's expected to arrive by the fifth of October! Shocked

SC

I think Dell charges tax in most, if not all states. I believe that Dell is known for overestimating delivery dates, so you'll probably receive it before then. How about a review?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a blurb about Dell overcharging people in Washington, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I'm not sure how useful my review will be, but I put one up somewhere.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's shipped! Estimated delivery date has been bumped up to the fourth of October. Confused

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
It's shipped! Estimated delivery date has been bumped up to the fourth of October. Confused

SC

Can you post a link to the one you are getting.
I don't feel like going back and figuring it out.

Thanks. I'm feeling lazy Smile
DewGuy1999

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Smithcraft wrote:

SC

Can you post a link to the one you are getting.
I don't feel like going back and figuring it out.

Thanks. I'm feeling lazy Smile

I believe this is Dell that Smithcraft is getting:

Dell UltraSharp U2311H 23"W Monitor

and here's it's nearly identical little brother:

Dell UltraSharp U2211H 21.5"W Monitor

and you can find the coupon code for 25% off here:

Dell UltraSharp U2211H/U2311H LCD Display
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dewguy.

Nice looking monitor. It has lots of features that the ACD lacks.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the deal right there.

The U2311 and the 25% off coupon. Note that the coupon deal may end earlier than the fifth of October.

Another update - FedEx now has electronic papers on it, and they estimate delivery on the first, but Dell still estimates the fourth.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: