123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need help on itunes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom d

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: need help on itunes Reply with quote

I need to know how to make cd album stay as one. I have a Time Life set of about 15 cd's of 50's and 60's music that is on 15 seperate cd's. When I import them they are all mixed up. I want to keep what is one 1 album as 1 album not mixed up with others. I have tried "By album" in view but it doesn't work.

I am using a new skinny mini and itunes 10.

Be kind , you are teaching "an old dog new tricks" !!!

tom d
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to rename every song and artist and album . put for each song on the first album time a then the right song title. for each artist time a then the correct artist
then for album title time a then the album number.

the albums get
time a then the real album
time b then the real album
time c
time d
time e so when all is said and done the 15 albums will all have a to o for 1 to 15 the artist will match and the songs will match. and if someone knows abetter way please let me know

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: need help on itunes Reply with quote

tom d wrote:
I need to know how to make cd album stay as one. I have a Time Life set of about 15 cd's of 50's and 60's music that is on 15 seperate cd's. When I import them they are all mixed up. I want to keep what is one 1 album as 1 album not mixed up with others. I have tried "By album" in view but it doesn't work.

I am using a new skinny mini and itunes 10.

Be kind , you are teaching "an old dog new tricks" !!!

tom d

There is not a real effective way to do what you want, due to the way iTunes sorts using the metadata on the track. At least not without losing that very data. I am assuming that since this is a Time-Life series that, it is a CD with multiple different artists. About the best you can hope for is to get the tracks on each CD to stay next to each other in the viewing window. There are a couple of things you can do to accomplish that. Select all of the tracks on say CD #1. You can do this by holding down the control key and clicking on each track. After you have chosen them all either right click and click Get Info or hit command-I. This will bring up the info panel. Under the Options bar there will be about half way down an item that says Part of a compilation. Most likely it will not be checked. Check it and move over and have the drop down read Yes. While the info window is still open, move over to Sorting. Since it is an assortment there will be nothing under Artist and Album Artist. Type in something along the lines of "Various Artists" in both panels. I know that seems tedious but, after you have done it a few times it really isn't all that bad. In the end CD #1 will still appear to be multiple tracks but, they will all be sorted right next to each other. And you will still have retained all of the metadata that makes each track unique. I have roughly 65000 tracks sorted, when necessary, in this manner. Hope this is of some help to you.
tom d

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank Phil and Fuentecigar for their replies. First off Phill you were way over my head, and Fuentecigar was perhaps more manageable.

However I came upon a streak of Dumd that worked. I went to view in itunes and clicked albumview, then went to options and a box came up and I checked track number along with three other clicked okay, went back to main view and all the songs on each album were together. They were no longer scattered all over, now the albums are not all in a row but I can live with that.

I have been reading the support pages at Apple for a few days trying to get info out of there, with some success.

My second stroke of Dumb was I have 2 minis a 2.26 and the skinny mini. I.cloned the hard drive from the 2010 used Carbon Copy and put it into the 2.26 and everything was there and the 2.26 worked fine,

tom d
DewGuy1999

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From iTunes 9 help (I imagine it's the same for 10), I believe the one I hightlighted in red will do what you want:

Customizing the information about items in your library

Information about the items in your library—such as a song’s artist and genre—is stored in the item’s Info window (choose File > Get Info). You can change this information to suit your needs.

For example, you could:

• Group individual movements on a classical CD into one work by indicating the movement (for example, “Piano concerto in A Minor, Op. 54”) in the Grouping field.
  • Group songs that are part of a compilation together in your library by selecting the “Part of a compilation” checkbox. Then choose iTunes > Preferences, click Advanced, and then select “Group compilations when browsing.”
  • Identify the individual artists on a tribute album in the Artist field, and then type “various” in the Album Artist field.
  • Create your own genre category by choosing Custom from the Genre pop-up menu.
  • Change the order in which tracks on a CD play by changing the numbers in the Track Number fields.
  • Create a Smart Playlist that includes only songs that are just the right speed for your workout by adding the number of beats per minute to the BPM field.
  • Identify a movie as a music video (click the Options tab and then choose Music Video from the Media Kind pop-up menu).
  • If you import an audiobook from a CD, you can change its Media Kind to Audiobook (click Options in the Info window) so that it appears under Audiobooks (instead of Music). If you do this, iTunes also remembers your place in the audiobook.
  • Click the Sorting tab and enter custom text to sort by.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: