123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AppleTV boot problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiredboy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: AppleTV boot problems Reply with quote

Help. My AppleTV seems to be having problems booting.

When I got home from work last night I went to watch something on my AppleTV but everything looked like the number of colours used had been reduced (ie about 16 colours rather than true colour) even though everything seemed to be working (syncing to iTunes, playing video albeit with reduced colour palette, etc). The night before it had been working without problems. I tried changing the output settings with no luck so I ended up pulling the plug. When I plugged it back in it seems to be stuck in an endless boot just showing the apple logo and getting no further. Also the apple logo looks poor quality. I get two different versions, one looks like its using a reduced colour palette, the other has vertical lines going through it but looks like a full colour palette (I’ll attach pictures if I work out how to). The light on the front just flashes orange the whole time. It also now doesn’t show up in the remote app on my iPod touch (I haven’t checked whether it’s showing up in iTunes yet)

I tried connecting it to a different TV using different leads (composite rather than HDMI and a different power supply) but there is no change (I usually have a second apple tv connected to the second TV using the composite leads, so just swapped the units). I tried to get to the factory restore/diagnostics test but I don’t get the menu come up, just the apple logo.

I have a really bad feeling that I now own a brick. Has anyone got any suggestions on what to do to try to fix it?

I would bite the bullet and just buy a new one when they come out but I don’t like leaving my laptop on all the time so only having a streaming option isn’t acceptable for me.
[/img]
gibmini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really sorry you've had this, but it does sound like your ATV is a gonna with a hardware failure of some kind. Has this continued?

GM

iPhone 4S
2.3GHz latest gen macbook pro, 2.4GHz latest gen Mini, 1.83GHz Mini, 2.0GHz Macbook
160Gb 1st gen ATV & 2nd gen ATV
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
tiredboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still like it. I think you're right about it being a gonna. Replaced it with a reconditioned old style appletv. Will put the non-working one in a box and take it with me next time I'm near an apple store in case they can think of something to help. If not, I'm looking for ideas for a dead appletv!
mebeljohn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that Apple Store could reprogram the operating system via the USB port if it was a software problem. Contacted my local authorized service center and they do not seem to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: