123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Second SATA hard drive in Mac mini

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Undo
Member
Member


Joined: 22 Nov 2009
Posts: 151
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Second SATA hard drive in Mac mini Reply with quote

Hello, I found an old thread on the topic of installing a 2nd hard drive but it had become a discussion of PCIe instead, so here's a new thread.

I just finished installing a second hard drive in my 2009 mini and it was quite simple. Thanks go to philiparcario for suggesting I use this hard drive caddy purchased through eBay. The caddy/sled replaces the internal optical drive. Cost with shipping for the caddy which arrived in about 10 days from Hong Kong was about $23.

Installation took about 20 minutes. There is nothing particularly difficult about it and no soldering involved. A small plastic tabbed strip must be detached from the caddy so it will fit in the mini.

I'm pleased to now have two fast internal SATA drives. Loss of the optical drive is insignificant since I have an external drive to use on those rare occasions I need one. And now I have a spare internal optical drive if needed for my other Mac mini.

Very Happy Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NRecob
Member
Member


Joined: 13 Aug 2007
Posts: 210

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinking seriously about dumping my optical drive in my Late 2009 2.53 Mini and putting in a hybrid (make the hybrid the Boot HDD & the original HDD the Time Machine HDD) and top it off with a new slotless cover:

http://bit.ly/9gmnng

my question is, why is the hard drive caddy even necessary? Is it acting as a heat sink? Is there some electrical connectivity issue it solves? Both? Neither i.e., some other reason?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Undo
Member
Member


Joined: 22 Nov 2009
Posts: 151
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unable to find a cable which would connect a hard drive to the SATA connection in the Mac. The caddy solves that problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NRecob
Member
Member


Joined: 13 Aug 2007
Posts: 210

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undo wrote:
I was unable to find a cable which would connect a hard drive to the SATA connection in the Mac. The caddy solves that problem.


Newer HDD's are SATA--what am I missing? Is the connector plugged into the optical drive something other than SATA?

Philip[arcario] can you shed any light on this (since you seem to be the resident expert on these sorts of things)?


Last edited by NRecob on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Posts: 4577
Location: Howell NJ USA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I am looking for a good picture.
_________________
2010 Mm 2.4 C2D oem 320gb hdd 8gb ram
2012Mm base 2.5 with 16gb ram diy fusion drive
2012Mm quad with 8gb ram oem 1tb hdd

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Posts: 4577
Location: Howell NJ USA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a clear picture if you have a 2009 here is the connecter board


http://cgi.ebay.com/Interconnect-Board-820-2367-A-Apple-Intel-Mac-Mini-DDR3-/200465918270?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eacb3293e#ht_500wt_1154

look at the zoom it is a mini sata or even an apple only size





http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/bX3OL6xWxX12Defm.huge


this should help clear it up.
_________________
2010 Mm 2.4 C2D oem 320gb hdd 8gb ram
2012Mm base 2.5 with 16gb ram diy fusion drive
2012Mm quad with 8gb ram oem 1tb hdd

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Posts: 1322
Location: USA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NRecob wrote:
my question is, why is the hard drive caddy even necessary?
Its not, but acts as a good stable mounting frame for an HD.
NRecob wrote:
Is it acting as a heat sink?
That to.
NRecob wrote:
Is there some electrical connectivity issue it solves? Both? Neither i.e., some other reason?
Neither.
_________________
2011 Mac mini 2.7 GHz i7 with
16GB RAM, Samsung 512GB SSD
MacBook AIR 11 Inch
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Posts: 1322
Location: USA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
I found a clear picture if you have a 2009 here is the connecter board. http://cgi.ebay.com/Interconnect-Board-820-2367-A-Apple-Intel-Mac-Mini-DDR3-/200465918270?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eacb3293e#ht_500wt_1154
look at the zoom it is a mini sata or even an apple only size
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/bX3OL6xWxX12Defm.huge
this should help clear it up.

Philip, Philip, Philip,

Do you think this interconnect board
could be used to up-grade
my OLD Mac mini (model 1.1 Intel)
with A SATA/IDE Interconnect Board
to a SATA/SATA Model mini?

Is it worth a try?

What do you think?
_________________
2011 Mac mini 2.7 GHz i7 with
16GB RAM, Samsung 512GB SSD
MacBook AIR 11 Inch
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Posts: 4577
Location: Howell NJ USA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billb wrote:
NRecob wrote:
my question is, why is the hard drive caddy even necessary?
Its not, but acts as a good stable mounting frame for an HD.


IF YOU HAVE A 2009 MINI THAT IS NOT A SERVER MODEL. YOU NEED TO ADAPT THE TOP MINI SATA TO A PROPER SATA!!




NRecob wrote:
Is it acting as a heat sink?
That to.
AGREED!!

NRecob wrote:
Is there some electrical connectivity issue it solves? Both? Neither i.e., some other reason?
Neither.


THE CADDY SOLVES THE CONNECTION ISSUE YOU CAN NOT DIRECTLY CONNECT TO THE TOP SATA SLOT IF YOU FIND AN ADAPTER YOU CAN.!! ALSO IF YOU BUY THE SERVER CONNECTOR YOU WILL HAVE 2 STANDARD SATA HOOKUPS!



NOTE THIS IS A BITCH TO HOOK UP BUT IT GIVES 2 STANDARD SATA CONNECTS
ALSO THE TOP DRIVE WILL WOBBLE without something to hold it. see below


http://www.applecomponents.com/items/922-9112_board-interconnect-dual-hard-drive/0000004317?pn=1&cmp=0161&per_page=30
_________________
2010 Mm 2.4 C2D oem 320gb hdd 8gb ram
2012Mm base 2.5 with 16gb ram diy fusion drive
2012Mm quad with 8gb ram oem 1tb hdd

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Posts: 4577
Location: Howell NJ USA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billb wrote:
philiparcario wrote:
I found a clear picture if you have a 2009 here is the connecter board. http://cgi.ebay.com/Interconnect-Board-820-2367-A-Apple-Intel-Mac-Mini-DDR3-/200465918270?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eacb3293e#ht_500wt_1154
look at the zoom it is a mini sata or even an apple only size
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/bX3OL6xWxX12Defm.huge
this should help clear it up.

Philip, Philip, Philip,

Do you think this interconnect board
could be used to up-grade
my OLD Mac mini (model 1.1 Intel)
with A SATA/IDE Interconnect Board
to a SATA/SATA Model mini?

Is it worth a try?

What do you think?


a shot in the dark but it is low cost get the server one with 2 of the same sata connections and it is 10 bucks cheaper.


http://www.applecomponents.com/items/922-9112_board-interconnect-dual-hard-drive/0000004317?pn=1&cmp=0161&per_page=30


warning lots of small parts.
_________________
2010 Mm 2.4 C2D oem 320gb hdd 8gb ram
2012Mm base 2.5 with 16gb ram diy fusion drive
2012Mm quad with 8gb ram oem 1tb hdd

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
NRecob
Member
Member


Joined: 13 Aug 2007
Posts: 210

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
billb wrote:
NRecob wrote:
my question is, why is the hard drive caddy even necessary?
Its not, but acts as a good stable mounting frame for an HD.


IF YOU HAVE A 2009 MINI THAT IS NOT A SERVER MODEL. YOU NEED TO ADAPT THE TOP MINI SATA TO A PROPER SATA!!




NRecob wrote:
Is it acting as a heat sink?
That to.
AGREED!!

NRecob wrote:
Is there some electrical connectivity issue it solves? Both? Neither i.e., some other reason?
Neither.


THE CADDY SOLVES THE CONNECTION ISSUE YOU CAN NOT DIRECTLY CONNECT TO THE TOP SATA SLOT IF YOU FIND AN ADAPTER YOU CAN.!! ALSO IF YOU BUY THE SERVER CONNECTOR YOU WILL HAVE 2 STANDARD SATA HOOKUPS!



NOTE THIS IS A BITCH TO HOOK UP BUT IT GIVES 2 STANDARD SATA CONNECTS
ALSO THE TOP DRIVE WILL WOBBLE without something to hold it. see below


http://www.applecomponents.com/items/922-9112_board-interconnect-dual-hard-drive/0000004317?pn=1&cmp=0161&per_page=30


Now I'm getting it Philip-THANK YOU! I hope to have the opportunity to be as helpful in the future...

SO COOL you found that board at the same place where I was going to buy the slotless cover Wink

Thanks again!
--
BillB-thank you as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.