123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backing iTunes to external drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renerator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Backing iTunes to external drive Reply with quote

Can someone advise how to back up all my iTunes music onto an external drive?

Thanks
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to backup your music to an external drive or do you want to move your music to an external drive and have iTunes access it from there?
Renerator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a two week old Mac mini user. I appreciate ur quick response! I recently converted my library over from flac to aiff to accommodate iTunes. I have all my aiff files stored on an external drive. I noticed on iTunes as I navigate around, some songs get lost. U know, where the exclamation ! Point shows up next to the song file. When u choose to play the track iTunes asks u if u want to find the file. So my two questions: how do i back up iTunes files to ext. HD and 2) why do files get lost like that?? Thanks again.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renerator wrote:
I have all my aiff files stored on an external drive.

Renerator wrote:
So my two questions: how do i back up iTunes files to ext. HD...

You've lost me a little bit here, Renerator. I'm not sure how you can back up your aiff files to an external drive when you're already storing them there. Confused If you want to back them up onto a different external drive, then it's just a case of using Finder to copy them over.

Renerator wrote:
I noticed on iTunes as I navigate around, some songs get lost. U know, where the exclamation ! Point shows up next to the song file. When u choose to play the track iTunes asks u if u want to find the file.

Renerator wrote:
why do files get lost like that??

iTunes' default storage space for your music is "Music / iTunes / iTunes Music" on your internal HDD. In that "iTunes Music" folder, iTunes creates another bunch of folders, one for each artist/group in your collection, and in each of those folders it creates a folder for each album of that artist/group...

However, you can move this entire structure from your internal HDD to another drive so long as you either tell iTunes where you've moved the "iTunes Music" folder to in iTunes preferences (under the "Advanced" tab, you can specify the new location for "iTunes Music") or create an "alias" (Windows would call it a "shortcut") in place of "iTunes Music" that sits in Music/iTunes on your internal drive and re-directs to the new location of "iTunes Music".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: