123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Premieres New Apple TV
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

The content producers have been busy trying to shut redbox down. Do you really think that they want that pricing to become the norm? There is no way they would allow Apple to price it at that ( and it's not a $1 for recent HD).

It seems to always be the case that someone looks around and finds some obscure example to claim that a product is not right. Of course the ATV is not perfect. Neither is a vending machine.

The unfortunate thing is that it would appear that very little exciting can happen in the media world ( music, video, publishing) given the mindset of those who control content. Since it appears to be impossible to go around them I just don't see how we can hope to see neat ereaders, media players, etc...

I really like my ATV and will probably get the new one, but it's not with a great deal of excitement. The best part I feel about the new ATV is Airplay. If it isn't saddled by too many restrictions that alone would justify the unit.

philip[/quote]

Not to argue but how is redbox an obscure argument that 5 bucks is too much for a movie. They are a very big force in the USA. In my state every movie is 1 dollar. And plenty of them are recent.

Now I will say a lot of people myself included don't care about hd/bluray movies. I was a first adapter for hdtv and they are all 720p or 1080i tv's in my home. Blu ray or hd movies would only work on my iMac. oh thats right steve doe not believe in blu ray. I guess I have to get that 99 dollar atv to watch iron man in hd. with my IMac 27 inch picture and small speakers.

So if redbox is obscure how about netflix? I can stream Or I can rent it in my case from netflix it comes on wed watch it on sat morning. on my 40 inch in 480p cause I have a 1080i but if I had a 40 inch 1080p netflix would send me a blu-ray. Oh and did I neglect to mention that I PAY NETFLIX 15 a month for 20000 movies/tv for streaming and I watch about 40 shows and 10 movies a month along with 6 ot 8 dvds shipped. At steves prices I would pay about 140 at netflix I paid 15.
If you want to argue for ATV which is fine for you to do so.. I mentioned some good reasons for it just read. Try to say things like it gives a lot of choice. Don't say my reasons for 5 dollars a movie being a bad price point are obscure. In the usa 5 dollars a movie is too much.

Case in point this month I watched all 5 years of Babylon 5. 110 shows at a buck a piece is 110 dollars on apple tv. on netflix 15 bucks. If redbox can rent a new movie for a buck and turn profit. steve and ATV can do it for 2.50 a pop few new and 2.00 a pop for old. The one limit is very simple at my price point the net would bog down due to too much viewership.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
cz3ch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saul wrote:
theGimpiest wrote:
So you can't play videos off a hard drive in this model, right?

There is no hard drive in this model.

You are supposed to be able to play off of your Mac's hard drive.

Do you know if you'll be able to stream movies from a NAS or a Mac mini full of movies/tv without having to use iTunes?
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cz3ch wrote:
saul wrote:
theGimpiest wrote:
So you can't play videos off a hard drive in this model, right?

There is no hard drive in this model.

You are supposed to be able to play off of your Mac's hard drive.

Do you know if you'll be able to stream movies from a NAS or a Mac mini full of movies/tv without having to use iTunes?

My understandig is no you need iTunes running.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: