123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros iTunes 10 With Ping
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely need the colours, it just makes it much more visual and easier to differentiate things when each section has it own colours.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I definitely need the colours, it just makes it much more visual and easier to differentiate things when each section has it own colours.

I see your point if they did that to safari I would go bonkers.
chillvisio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is the new iTunes 10.0.1 — even more bloated than ever before. It now « features » the Ping button everywhere you would not like to see it : in playlists — next to track's name, in right click menu, just before the Get Info. Oh, and it is not all - you could simply not get rid of this Ping stuff anywhere in iTunes options. Anywhere !

And yeah, it really starts getting me annoyed and thinking to switch to another — not as bloated music app (maybe the Songbird app). Maybe it is not too late the time we will get the ugly Ping button everywhere in the OS — Safari, Mail.app (Ping your business partners and recommend them to go download latest Lady GaGa tune), Contacts (Ping your contacts with Britney's coolest track), iChat (oh, how beautiful it will be to recommend songs in your status message), iCal (get the latest events featuring your recommended artists), Disk Utility (backup all your Pings to a .dmg file and fly away in hell), Pages (get creative and write an article about your favorite Ping artists). I just need some more privacy and hot this annoying crap Evil or Very Mad

Anybody knows some alternative players except pingfull iTunes, Songbird and VLC ?

Last edited by chillvisio on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chillvisio wrote:
And here is the new iTunes 10.0.1 — even more bloated than ever before. It now « features » the Ping button everywhere you would not like to see it : in playlists — next to track's name, in right click menu, just before the Get Info. Oh, and it is not all - you could simply not get rid of this Ping stuff anywhere in iTunes options. Anywhere !

+1
I don't need or want that stuff. It should be removable. Evil or Very Mad
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get rid of the Ping buttons next to the tracks by running this in Terminal:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.itunes hide-ping-dropdown -bool YES

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I really wish I'd stayed with iTunes 9 now. I really dislike the things Apple are doing with iTunes 10. I have no interest in having a really bland UI nor am I in interested in have Ping forced up on me.

The lack of colour has definitely not grown on me and I find it slower to use not have the visual colour of the icons to help differentiate between the various options

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Sad I really wish I'd stayed with iTunes 9 now. I really dislike the things Apple are doing with iTunes 10. I have no interest in having a really bland UI nor am I in interested in have Ping forced up on me.

The lack of colour has definitely not grown on me and I find it slower to use not have the visual colour of the icons to help differentiate between the various options

I didn't upgrade. It sounds like I made a good choice.
Apple has to be careful. It seems each new version of iTunes introduces more crap/bloatware. It also introduces new security measures to defeat jailbroken iPhones.
Still to this day I only use iTunes for playing my music and listening to podcasts. All of this other junk is always a turn off to me.

I may be old school, but if Apple keeps going in this direction more and more people are going to look for simple alternatives to manage their music.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I may be old school, but if Apple keeps going in this direction more and more people are going to look for simple alternatives to manage their music.

+1
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
chillvisio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuentecigar wrote:
You can get rid of the Ping buttons next to the tracks by running this in Terminal:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.itunes hide-ping-dropdown -bool YES

Oh, great ! Thanks for the tip.

Edit : It looks like this only hides the button from the playlist, but the Ping menu at right click is still here.

Bandit Bill wrote:
I didn't upgrade. It sounds like I made a good choice.

Colorless icons do not disturb me as much as Apple's tries to push this thing called Ping. It looks like the much they fail to achieve some goal, the harder they keep on trying, the easier their actions are looking dumb. Let me guess - they will never dump Ping as there are enough stoopid users who have nothing important to do with their life except keep on clicking « I Like » buttons. In France we call them ironically « CONsommateurs » (con in French means stupid) Smile

Time for me to go for a real alternative of iTunes. I've just find one simple player that works great : VOX

Last edited by chillvisio on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chillvisio wrote:
However they will still put next iTunes 10.x in the upcoming version of Snow Leopard and you will have no way except if you wish to not upgrade to 10.6.5 Rolling Eyes

Where did you get this info? Do you have a link? I'd be quite interested in reading the info.

I don't recall a forced app update via a OS update in the past. Maybe my memory is failing me though.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like Ping, but I like the new iPad iPod app look of iTunes 10.
chillvisio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

Where did you get this info? Do you have a link? I'd be quite interested in reading the info.

I don't recall a forced app update via a OS update in the past. Maybe my memory is failing me though.

I am sorry. I've never read this, but just supposed that it should happen with next update. Never noticed that iTunes updates separately. I shall edit my posting now. Sorry again for misleading info.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chillvisio wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

I am sorry. I've never read this, but just supposed that it should happen with next update. Never noticed that iTunes updates separately. I shall edit my posting now. Sorry again for misleading info.

That's cool. Who knows it might happen.

Apple users are pretty particular about having certain things forced upon them ie product keys, copy protection etc. Which is funny because Apple in notorious when it comes to forcing things upon us, maintaining tight control etc.

I thought I would have recalled a lot of whining if something like this was forced upon us.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like things being forced on us, but I like iTunes 10 for the most part.
zedtvl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Onyx can also fix most of that...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: