123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice Please: Repair cracked MBP screen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacDeb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Advice Please: Repair cracked MBP screen? Reply with quote

Hi All
My pen pal in the USA has asked for my advice.

Her MBP slipped off her lap, fell 50cm or 18 inches to the carpet, resulting in a cracked screen. It is now fuzzy & zig zaggy.

The tech @ her workplace (it's her school's mac) said it will cost $700 to repair. Doesn't seem to be insured & must be out of warranty.

The HD seems to be OK and he backed it up.

I have no idea which MBP it is or how it's configured, except it possibly has 8GB RAM.

She is due to retire in a year & has been saving up for a MBP 15 inch.
Should she:
1. do the repair to get through this final year?
2. Buy any el cheapo laptop even Windows to get through this year? I'm not clear if her school budget would cover this. Apparently no $$ for a MBP.
3. Buy her new MBP one year early.

Her technical skills are low e.g. up to now the tech has installed software.
I've been trying to talk her into an imac & iPad OR a 13" MBP & Mac display because she values portability when she travels with her family, & needs a bigger screen (eyesight issues).

I only got as far as getting a list of software & retirement tasks when this happened.

Personally I don't think a repair is cost effective. Given the cost of a new one & the possibility of an education discount, I think she should go for a new MBP one year early.

However prices, parts, repairs etc are so different in the USA, that I am hesitating.

1. Any other opinions please?

2. And is the difference in processor speed worth the extra $$ for the top 15 inch.

Her work needs are usual office type activities & in retirement Photoshop Elements, quilt design, genealogy & scrapbooking.

Many thanks

MacDeb
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

she gets the education discount. usa has a promotion she gets a free 200 ipod

see this link for free ipod touch info.

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/browse/campaigns/back_to_school?mco=MTgxNTgxOTU

here is link for a 15 inch with education discount.

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/configure/MC371LL/A

the broken machine has value as is on ebay she would get hundreds
see this link below.

ebay link to broken macbook pro

so to sum up new 15 inch mac book 1700 plus 200 dollar ipod is 1900 out of pocket rebate for ipod is 200 so you are out 1700 sell the ipod touch sell on ebay clear 150 sell the broken macbook clear a few hundred 250 that is 400 or more back out of pocket 1700 net 1300 for completely new at worst most likely you get 150 for the ipod touch clear and 450 for the broken macbook pro or 600 against 1700 so 1100 for a new machine.. If she is near me in New Jersey I could help her sell the broken machine and the ipod on ebay. no Way I pay 700 for a repair when 1100 gets me new and better.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
MacDeb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice and not just because you agreed with me. Much appreciated. I have passed it on.

Unfortunately she is nowhere near New Jersey, and as the Mac belongs to her school, it would be up to them to sell it.

I'd forgotten about the 'back to school' special. Ours happens in February, at the start of our academic year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: