123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

graphic performance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhoussock

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: graphic performance Reply with quote

i bought my mac mini thinking i was going to upgrade the western digital live which i had connected as my home theater pc to watch digital movies and listen to pandora ect. i bought the new 2010 base model and am disappointed by the performance so far. it is barely out performing my dell mini hackintosh and as far as hd video goes my wd live is much better. i have tried all the basics...vlc perian codec plex and movist. my main problem i have is how incapable of dropping frames when running 1080p videos files. I also notice problems with simply draging windows around and cursor performance when running several basic programs safari itunes etc. i hope someone has an answer for my problems that can make this machine out run my 100 dollar western digital box. Thanks!

ps. connected to a 46" sony bravia via hdmi
MlNlME

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a single problem playing 1080p files on my base 2010 mini using VLC 1.0.5. Not 50GB direct BluRay rips, but transcoded 8-12GB mkv or mp4 files. Even plays 1080p 60fps files smoothly. No problems dragging windows either. Everything is smooth.

My mini is connected to a 22" LCD monitor via MiniDisplayport to DVI adapter and an HDTV via HDMI.

HD video playback is mainly a CPU intensive affair, so you should keep an eye on CPU utilization. Some apps like Quicktime X utilize the GPU to help with h.264 video decoding, but the CPU is still the main workhorse.

Some TV's has "special" picture modes that cause flickering or out of sync issues when connected via HDMI. Others have "gaming" modes since gaming requires higher refresh rates.

Before you blame the hardware, you need to do a thorough triage to understand what is going on with your system.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sony and mini don't like each other. it may not ever be a good fit. also the 2.4ghz cpu is not as good as last years 2.53ghz or last years 2.66ghz. try and see if another format will work, you may need to do hand brake to make a better format, good luck . smithcraft posts a lot he is big with handbrake to reformat video files maybe he can chime in.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
jhoussock

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after a bunch of tinkering i have got it working at about 98% windows are dragging and i have only about two movies that seem to mess up. i did a bunch of switches including setting hdmi 1 to gaming mode. anyone know if this will effect my cable tv when watching it? also my tv has a vga input is it worth getting the vga adapter from apple or will it be worse than the hdmi in quality?
swordsandtequila

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Samsung is connected via vga and it's fine; picture quality is as good as the source file (movie, tv, etc.). If you go this route, get the adapter from Monoprice, much cheaper than Apple, no quality issues.
NT Guardian Maximus 1TB Raid1, 500GB Raid0
OWC external Superdrive
An iPod for every occasion
iPhone 3g
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: