123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I buy the new 2010 Mac Mini or buy a refurbished one?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supergreen34

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Do I buy the new 2010 Mac Mini or buy a refurbished one? Reply with quote

I've been wanting to replace my PowerBook G4 and decided to replace it with a Mac Mini. I know the new mini just came out, but I also know you can buy a refurbished older mini for a lot cheaper price. I've been hooking up my PowerBook to a 22" HP w2207h monitor and was hoping to hook up the mini to it.

Any advice on which mini I should buy?

(a little bonus question--what should I do with my PowerBook?)
MlNlME

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you an indecisive person or just too lazy to do your due diligence? Compare the specs, factor in the price differences, and figure out for yourself which one is better for you. I bet sales people love it when you walk through their shop doors.
swordsandtequila

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a new member, that's a pretty hostile reply. I think all the poster was asking was a little advice from those with firsthand experience, i.e. is there a big difference in performance vs. the price gap between last years refurbs and the new unibody.

The regular contributors to this forum are very helpful/knowledgeable and you never know when you'll need their help. You don't do yourself any favors with responses like that.

To the original poster, check the threads on the new mini, lots of comparisons. Really depends on your needs, but you can't go wrong with a maxed out refurb.

Peace
NT Guardian Maximus 1TB Raid1, 500GB Raid0
OWC external Superdrive
An iPod for every occasion
iPhone 3g
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swordsandtequila wrote:
As a new member, that's a pretty hostile reply. I think all the poster was asking was a little advice from those with firsthand experience, i.e. is there a big difference in performance vs. the price gap between last years refurbs and the new unibody.

I agree... my eyebrows went up in disbelief.

Welcome to the forum supergreen34. Feel free to ask any questions without intimidation.

The overall consensus on this forum is the a refurbished 2009 mini is the best value. Forum member philiparcario eats Mac minis for breakfast on on numerous occasions has pointed out the benefits of the older mini over the new 2010 model. Now appreciate that Phil is very technical and some of the things he does to his machines may not be for you.
I think he actually has a new one for sale right now. if you look in the classified section and he will upgrade it to your liking.
http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27663
Basically he scoops the refurbs up off the Apple site and resells them new. Nothing wrong with that it saves you from having to spend weeks hoping to get one off the Apple store.

I personally haven't kept up with all the ins and outs of the new model vs. the old, but I'm sure someone can recap them for you.
ReliantLion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the 2010 mini would be better in at least one scenario: Using at as an HTPC with middle ranged home theater equipment.

In a high end home theater, a simple Mini Display Port (or Mini DVI) to HDMI adapter can be used for video with the optical used for audio. Lower end receivers can't mix and match inputs like a high end receiver can.

In a low end home theater, you are going to get much anyways, and many TV's nowadays have some sort of computer monitor hookup with stereo mini plug for audio.

In the middle, HDMI for both audio and video is usually the main option, which the 2010 Mini provides, but the 2009 Mini lacks (there are adapters, but it's a cluster of wires, believe me).

I would rather have waited and spent more, but I also game on mine.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little busy right now. send me a pm and I will give you a longer explaination of why one piece of gear is better then another and in some case it is the 2009 as a clear winner but in other cases the 2010 is better.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As a new member, that's a pretty hostile reply

I agree with you on that. We can do without members that take such an arrogant position with someone that is simply asking a question.
EXT. HD:Lacie D2Quadra-1TB and WD Studio 2TB
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MlNlME wrote:
Are you an indecisive person or just too lazy to do your due diligence? Compare the specs, factor in the price differences, and figure out for yourself which one is better for you. I bet sales people love it when you walk through their shop doors.

Wow if that was the way we greeted all new members this forum would have died out long ago Embarassed

@supergreen34 Welcome to the forum.

I bought a 2.53GHz refurb the week before the new model launched and it's been a good buy. I use it mainly as a HTPC running plex and not had any issues with it. Whilst the new model looks to be better suited to a HTPC with the inclusion of the HDMI, my choice would still have been for the refurb. This is based mainly on costings, the new model was more expensive than the older model. As I also got it on a refurb I got quite a good discount. I think both models will work equally well with slight pro and cons on both models.

Which ever you choose just sit back and enjoy it and don't worry about if you made the right choice or not. Both are capable machines.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
tom d

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Supergreen34 welcome to the forum.

In reply to your question either of the two years models are good, in my own humble opinion. I happen to own both.

I bought the new one simply because I wanted it, there was a lot of talk about the new unibody and changes made to it. I wanted to dive into it and see if it could be modded easily. It is much easier to change the ram, and as far as the hard drive goes it is not any harder than the old mini, just requires more screw drivers and a pair of eyebrow tweasers if you have big hands. As far as adding esata to it and putting many T's of storage on it that would be Phills area.

My needs may be different than yours I use it for the internet, Email a few movies, a few Itunes, a little utube, and writing letters, and most important making my wife's T times for golf.

I have seen some comments on here where some say it is a hot box and is not good, the highest the temp has gone up on me was 58c with the fan at 2900 and that was cloning some large drives. Most generally runs about 39c to 46c 1790 to 1850 fan, according to SMC fan control.

If you get the chance to get last years reburb, I would, they have been coming out with 4 gigs of ram and a 320 hard drive.

These are just some supported statements, because I own both.

Pay no attention to the first reply, not called for.

tom d
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new machine has a very nice scaler to fit a tv screen. The new machine has a better graphics card it is a little better for gaming but this is not a major gaming machine. The new machine has easy access to a ram upgrade. The newer machine with a 2.4ghz cpu and adding the ram to 4gb is 699 plus 100 or 799. a 2.53ghz refurb is 589. 210 difference.

if you use a computer monitor I would buy the refurb. then use the 210 to buy a nice external hdd with fw800. I would buy an external that uses 2 bays or more I would want the external to be able to run raid0 and raid1 my choice. I would want the external to not have a boatload of it own programs. I would use the external as a boot drive.

this is good

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/ME8Q7T20GB64/

I would google superduper and use it as a clone program

I would buy this below and use it once a week to clone the raid0 boot drive

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5384378&sku=M261-8232&cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2006-_-CatId_136_M261-8232

this would setup above smoke have tons of storage and a backup cost 589 plus 240 plus 130 total 940 or so.
the worst problem of the new mini is the hdd uses a very delicate cable compared to the 2009 mini a sata jack. this makes swapping a hdd harder[cable damage is more common]

It makes the double esata hack next to impossible.
what is a double esata hack?

here is a very long link.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=213477

this link starts with making a 2 drive mac mini before apple sold them. it ends with morphing it into a double esata hack . this machine gets maximum speed and huge storage.

my 2009 2.66 mini has a 400gb raid0 and a 2tb raid0 attached via esata hack . can't do this safely with a 2010 mini. i like this hack so much I did it with a second 2009 mini. I am in the process of making it look pretty it is a bit rough around the edges.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Supergreen34, welcome to the forum. Smile

I thought that a few words from my own experience might be helpful...

I've got a 2009 2.0GHz Mini with 4 gigs of memory. I don't spend a lot of time obsessively checking the numbers on Activity Monitor, but I've yet to see a situation where I have been using more than half of those 4 gigs -- in other words, if you're not sure how much memory you should have, 2 gigs is a perfectly good starting point.

As for processor speed, I'm a regular user of iMovie, GarageBand and Keynote (often at the same time). Even though they are processor-intensive apps, my 2.0GHz CPU never seems to show any signs of being "overworked". So you can probably imagine that tasks like web browsing, e-mail composing, word-processing and photo manipulation are well within the capabilities of a 2.0GHz machine.

Anyway, I hope that a bit of background info helps you to make your choice! Smile
Mac1000x

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Mac mini 2.53ghz Refurb vs Mac mini 2010 Reply with quote

Hey Supergreen34! Welcome to 123macmini Very Happy

As for your question, I currently have a 2.53ghz Model which is the Late 2009 model, and just as others stated yes it's a very good value. I also picked mine up from the refurbished store and it was in super great condition. If you plan to work a lot on it with very data intensive applications, you will require the extra memory and that is just what the 2.53ghz model offers. With 4gb ram you can get pretty decent performance. Gaming wise, well Apple says that the newer 320m on the new Mini, is around 2 times faster than the older 9400m. But then again, not many people game on a Mini. The 9400m does indeed handle some light gaming. If you require hooking the mini up to your HDTV then go for the newer model. But if performance matters to you the most (minus the gaming department) then I say go for the Late 2009 model. They are both great machines, but just in my opinion I believe the Late 2009 model, holds the edge.

The choice is totally up to you, but nonetheless I could tell you that both these machines are still very good. Good Luck! Smile
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Do I buy the new 2010 Mac Mini or buy a refurbished one? Reply with quote

Hi supergreen34, welcome to Macmini.com. As another person that has held onto PPC's for a long time, and one who used a 1.33ghz PowerBook Al to as a desktop with an external monitor, I can tell you that you won't go wrong with either purchase. My 2 generations old 1.83 mini runs circles around the PowerBook, and both newer models have much faster processors and much better video cards than my 1.83. One of the best things I did to increase the speed of my mini was to upgrade the drive to a 7200 rpm. From what I've seen and heard about the new mini, it seems a HD upgrade is easier to do in the previous generation model. And this would give you a RAM upgrade as well, so barring the need for HDTV use, I would lean to the older model refurb.

As for the bonus question, I am still using my PowerBook at my university for making presentations. It is better in one way than the newer Intel models in that no dongle is needed to connect it to an external projector. It isn't fast anymore, but it remains a very viable portable computer for most uses. If you don't have another portable, use it for when you travel and want an occasional internet connection or to watch DVD's on the road. The other possibility is to keep it somewhere else in the house (bedroom?), where you can use it for a quick internet connection. Some people keep laptops in their kitchens and use them for storing recipes, watching videos while cooking, etc. You can always sell the PowerBook, but it isn't worth much anymore. Better to keep it if you have a secondary use you can put it to.
supergreen34

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!!! this is really great detailed advice. This is what I was hoping to get when I asked my questions about the new and old mini. I think the refurb mini is the best route I will be taking. Thanks for the info!!!

philiparcario wrote:
The new machine has a very nice scaler to fit a tv screen. The new machine has a better graphics card it is a little better for gaming but this is not a major gaming machine. The new machine has easy access to a ram upgrade. The newer machine with a 2.4ghz cpu and adding the ram to 4gb is 699 plus 100 or 799. a 2.53ghz refurb is 589. 210 difference.

if you use a computer monitor I would buy the refurb. then use the 210 to buy a nice external hdd with fw800. I would buy an external that uses 2 bays or more I would want the external to be able to run raid0 and raid1 my choice. I would want the external to not have a boatload of it own programs. I would use the external as a boot drive.

this is good

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/ME8Q7T20GB64/

I would google superduper and use it as a clone program

I would buy this below and use it once a week to clone the raid0 boot drive

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5384378&sku=M261-8232&cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2006-_-CatId_136_M261-8232

this would setup above smoke have tons of storage and a backup cost 589 plus 240 plus 130 total 940 or so.
the worst problem of the new mini is the hdd uses a very delicate cable compared to the 2009 mini a sata jack. this makes swapping a hdd harder[cable damage is more common]

It makes the double esata hack next to impossible.
what is a double esata hack?

here is a very long link.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=213477

this link starts with making a 2 drive mac mini before apple sold them. it ends with morphing it into a double esata hack . this machine gets maximum speed and huge storage.

my 2009 2.66 mini has a 400gb raid0 and a 2tb raid0 attached via esata hack . can't do this safely with a 2010 mini. i like this hack so much I did it with a second 2009 mini. I am in the process of making it look pretty it is a bit rough around the edges.
supergreen34

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap-sh#t!! You are all awesome for your great advice. I wanted to get on here because you are all experienced Mini owners. MINIME’s post….WTF!!? I know I could’ve easily compared the specs of the old and new macs and drop 700 bucks or more You guys uncovered A LOT of things about the 09 mini. It looks like I can get around with modding and saving money if I go with a 2009 refurb mini. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: