123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Macbook Pro / MC665LL/A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjk6277

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: First Macbook Pro / MC665LL/A Reply with quote

I have a Mac Mini and I'm considering buying a 17" i7 antiglare Macbook Pro.
The model is a MC665LL/A. Any advice, suggestions? I'm just not a big fan of the glossy displays... Thanks!
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the baby brother 15" with the antiglare, great machine. I used to own the previous generation 15 with the glossy and it was a beauty for graphics as long as there was no glare. The screen on this is quite nice, but doesn't have quite the same pop and wow but is no slouch...although I plug into an external monitor depending on where I am and what I'm doing. Previously had one of the last models 17" G4's but it actually was too large for my preference.

It does get HOT, the i7 processor when it is working, particularly processing stuff in Aperture 3, Lightroom 3 or very using filters on large files in Photoshop CS5. By hot, I mean it really wants to melt through the earth's crust. Not uncommon for processor temp to peak past 100 °C and always runs hot (50 - 60 °C) when connected to an external monitor, I suppose as the faster vid card kicks in full time, but not really sure of that.

It's certainly zippy out of the box but I installed 8GB RAM and modified it to dual HDs: installed an OWC SSD for booting and running applications and changed the standard HD for a WD 750 GB. Snappy. CS5 uses the SSD as a scratch disk and really feels punchier.

Other than the heat, best laptop I've had.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: