123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Debian on PPC Mac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mshaddix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Debian on PPC Mac Mini Reply with quote

Has anyone had success with Debian on their PPC Mac Mini.

I have a 1.5 GHZ Mac Mini that isn't seeing much use these days and I was thinking of doing a Debian install. Is there anything I need to know about before taking on this project? My main concern is getting the airport and bluetooth drivers to work..
120GB iPod
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, Ubuntu may have a Livecd for the PPC, if not the current versions maybe you can find an older version to try out. At least it should let you know if the Airport will work. In fact, if you can find any PPC livecd of any distro to try out.

Debian will be a good choice but not sure about Airport and Bluetooth working out the box, may be tricky to get those working but should be doable.

I just found this link, it may be helpful. Let us know how it work out if you give it a go.

http://sowerbutts.com/linux-mac-mini/
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried Ubuntu, yellowdog and a couple of others I can't remember offhand on a 15" PPC G4 PowerBook, in each case I had no luck whatsoever with wireless, no problems with ethernet but that is not much help for a portable.
I could have probably lived with Linux on a mini, in my case that would be a desktop, non portable installation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: