123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini To Evolve Into Digital Hub?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Mac mini To Evolve Into Digital Hub? Reply with quote

Mac mini To Evolve Into Digital Hub?
Tuesday November 29, 2005

Think Secret is reporting that an Intel powered Mac mini will be reborn at Macworld Expo as the digital hub centerpiece it was originally conceived to be. The Mac mini's new features are rumored to include: Front Row 2.0, "TiVo-Killer" DVR application, Built-In iPod Dock, and possible move to a 3.5" hard drive. The built-in iPod dock was rumored to be included on the first Mac mini and then later scrapped by Apple. The inclusion of a larger 3.5" hard drive may indicate the size of the Mac mini will be increased. Many enthusiasts have been critical of the Mac mini's slow 2.5" hard drive from the time it was released last year.

"Apple's Mac mini will be reborn as the digital hub centerpiece it was originally conceived to be, Think Secret sources have disclosed. The new Mac mini project, code-named Kaleidoscope, will feature an Intel processor and include both Front Row 2.0 and TiVo-like DVR functionality.

While the specific model and speed of the Intel processor in the new Mac mini is unknown, sources are confident the system will be ready for roll-out at Macworld Expo San Francisco, in line with other reports Think Secret has received that Intel-based Macs will be ready some six months sooner than originally expected.

The new Mac mini is also said to sport a built-in iPod dock, a feature that was scrapped from the Mac mini Apple first introduced one year ago. Other hardware specifics are unknown, such as whether the Mac mini will feature video recording out of the box or whether an add-on will be offered for those looking to employ the Mac mini not as a second computer but as their living room command center" notes Ryan Katz of Think Secret.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/399.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:32 am; edited 5 times in total
castaway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll buy one of those in a heartbeat! I just hope they don't raise the price or increase the size that much.
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will buy one if they stay under $1000. Imagine recording your favorite TV shows with the PVR and popping your 5G iPod on top to sync up with the video. Very cool! Cool
xforce11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad 6 months after I buy they come out with what I really want. I would love to have my Mini be a DVR. I can't afford $47 extra a month on my cable bill (to add digital cable & DVR). I wonder if Apple will release a firewire adapter to add TV in on existing Mini's. That would be great to have FR and DV with just the cost of an adapter.

Mac Mini, Ministack (160 gig), LG Flatron 17"
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is real exciting news even though it seems too good to be true. I'm not really buying into the DVR part of the rumor. While possible, it seems like an unlikely feature on an entry-level machine. It's possible that this is an entirely new machine and not the Mac mini. Hey, I'm all for adding another inch or two to the overall height of the Mac mini to accommodate a 3.5" drive. I guess my only question is what video card will they use? Apple really needs to boost up the video card big time for all these extra media goodies. The Radeon 9200 ain't going to cut it anymore. I'll tell you this - my credit card will be ready to go if they introduce a Mac mini for $799 with:

1.8GHz Dual-Core Yonah
512MB RAM
128MB Video Card "THAT DOES CORE IMAGE"
8X Dual-Layer SuperDrive
Front Row 2.0 and iLife 06
Apple Remote
100+ GB Hard Drive
DVR functionality
Built-in iPod Dock
Audio-out and IN
Added bonuses would be Gigabit Ethernet and FireWire 800

Ring her up, cha-ching ! Very Happy
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
This is real exciting news even though it seems too good to be true. I'm not really buying into the DVR part of the rumor. While possible, it seems like an unlikely feature on an entry-level machine. It's possible that this is an entirely new machine and not the Mac mini. Hey, I'm all for adding another inch or two to the overall height of the Mac mini to accommodate a 3.5" drive. I guess my only question is what video card will they use? Apple really needs to boost up the video card big time for all these extra media goodies. The Radeon 9200 ain't going to cut it anymore. I'll tell you this - my credit card will be ready to go if they introduce a Mac mini for $799 with:

1.8GHz Dual-Core Yonah
512MB RAM
128MB Video Card "THAT DOES CORE IMAGE"
8X Dual-Layer SuperDrive
Front Row 2.0 and iLife 06
Apple Remote
100+ GB Hard Drive
DVR functionality
Built-in iPod Dock
Audio-out and IN
Added bonuses would be Gigabit Ethernet and FireWire 800

Ring her up, cha-ching ! Very Happy

Wow, this is exciting news, but it does seem a little too good to be true unless they raise the price to about $1000, or use an Intel Celeron M processor to keep cost down. The 1.8 dual-core Yonah processor alone is close to $300. I agree, they would need a much better video card to support DVR and that also would cost significantly more.

I guess the problem that I would have would be where I would put this thing?? I would still want to use it as my primary computer but I would not want to have it sitting next to my TV.

Man, I guess we will all have to wait to hear the official news..
cookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I better start saving my money. I wouldn't mind making a system with all those specs my second Mac.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely an exciting product and would sell like hotcakes, but personally it's not going onto my credit card unless I can record and playback HDTV. Until then, I'm happy with the HD-DVR supplied by the cable company.

I'm hereby starting the rumor that HD capability, for the same price as the original hardware, will roll into an upgrade just in time for the Christmas 2006 shopping season. Assuming all this even happens in January. Not to be Eeyore, but Think Secret hasn't exactly been at the top of their game recently--AppleInsider has been much more accurate, and they haven't breathed a peep about any of this.

Smile

Jamie
mark2741

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really puts me in a bind....

I was just looking at the cost of eyeTV and cringing at the thought of paying hundreds of dollars to do what I could do for $30 on my PC with a PCI card. I know. I know...but no OS X. : )

I have only had my Mini for a couple of months now. I've already added a Ministack external firewire drive. It's been my (limited) experience that Steve Jobs likes to keep prices the same while adding new features. At least that's what he did with the new iMac.

If he puts out a Mini with all these new features, including TV input so I can plug my cable into it, and he does it for under $800, and it includes a 3.5 drive, I'd be crazy not to ebay my Mini and ministack and buy one of the new Minis. However, I'm afraid he's going to roll out all this new functionality at the same price points. In which case I won't get squat for my Mini on ebay : ( Or, I would have to time the sale to occur right before the announcement, while not knowing for sure what the new announcement is going to be exactly. Tricky. I may have to look at selling everything, including my LCD Dell monitor (got it from work as a gift - 19" DVI, nice!) and getting one of the non-FR G5 iMacs for $999.

I'm pretty bummed about this. So to clarify - this would include a TV input right? That's the main thing I want. My Mini is my main computer so I don't need a PVR but would like to be able to watch basketball games in a small window on my desktop while surfing the web : )
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark2741 wrote:

I have only had my Mini for a couple of months now. I've already added a Ministack external firewire drive. It's been my (limited) experience that Steve Jobs likes to keep prices the same while adding new features. At least that's what he did with the new iMac.

They may keep the price points the same and introduce a new "Super" mini model for around $1000. The lower 2 or 3 models will just include the basics like they do now.

Quote:
I'm pretty bummed about this. So to clarify - this would include a TV input right? That's the main thing I want. My Mini is my main computer so I don't need a PVR but would like to be able to watch basketball games in a small window on my desktop while surfing the web : )

I'm sure it will have a video input and the ability to watch TV in a window. How else could you have a PVR? I wonder if they will add any buttons to the remote? I hate scanning through TV channels. I like clicking the channel number and getting there, if you know what I mean.
e3mw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini i'm using now will go straight to my parents if this is true, while I'll be basking in HTPC goodness Wink
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BIG DUANE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is exactly why i've been holding off on buying my first mini. i can't tell you how friggin anxious i am for this. but the questions is... do i risk it and buy the first version of the intel mini?!
mr_cazorp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this rumor is true, then I wonder a couple of things:

1) Will FrontRow 2.0 be released as a standalone product that we can install on our existing minis? I know a lot of minis are in a lot of living rooms. I hope Apple throws us early adopters a little scrap from the table.

2) Will the new Intel minis be as quiet and power-miserly as the current crop? My mini is on 24-7 precisely because it runs so cool and quiet. (Unless I'm trying to play 720p content, of course. Then the fan runs somewhere between jet engine and Saturn V rocket.)

As an aside, I'm thinking this hypothetical mini will have a different form factor--more like a slim DVD player. Might not even be part of the mini line at all, but something completely new.

Hank
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding a 3.5" hard drive inside the mini would be great, but I hope they don't fiddle around with the mini's overall size. The mini's small form factor is one of the things that made it so special. With me at least. I'd be ok with them adding an inch or so to the height like suggest above, but I hope they keep the width and depth the same. They would probably need to raise the height of the mini anyways for a top loading iPod dock. Maybe Apple figured out a way to sneak a 3.5" hard drive in there.

Another issue would be the noise from the larger drive. I love the fact that my mini is so quiet. I could never go back to a machine that has a lot of fan noise. Even my iMac that is relatively quit sounds like a freight train next to the mini. I can't wait until January to see what happens. It will be like Christmas in January.
iLife's a Bitch!
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
It's possible that this is an entirely new machine and not the Mac mini.

The Cube 2 - Revenge of the Myth! Laughing

This new machine sounds sweet! Think Secret has been pretty accurate lately. I hope it pans out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: