123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Safari 4.0.5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Apple Releases Safari 4.0.5 Reply with quote

Thursday, March 11, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

Apple has released Safari 4.0.5 for Snow Leopard, Leopard, Tiger and Windows via their Software Update utility and website. According to the company, this update is recommended for all Safari users and includes improvements to performance, stability, and security. This would include the following:

- Performance improvements for Top Sites
- Stability improvements for 3rd-party plug-ins
- Stability improvements for websites with online forms and Scalable Vector Graphics
- Fixes an issue that prevented Safari from changing settings on some Linksys routers

The Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger versions of Safari 4.0.5 weigh in at 30.52MB, 38.59MB and 26.78MB, respectively.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1964.html
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top Sites does seem much faster, but I'm sticking with Chrome.
Lori Dixon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:

Nah, Firefox. Wink
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safari 4 life! Very Happy

The update feels good. It could be just quitting then reopening it would do the same but I'm always glad for updates on safari. They always seem better.
somefreak90

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm downloading it right now. Will report back in a bit...
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having a bunch of trouble opening certain sites with 4.0.4 and now that is gone. And the funny thing is, I use a Linksys router. Does anyone know what they really changed?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too lazy to restart right now. It will have to wait until the weekend like everything else. Wink
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:

I love having the tabs on top. I wish Apple had kept that option around because it was killer in the Safari 4 beta.
Grover Time

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel no difference in the performance of Top Sites either way. Everything else seems about the same too.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hardly ever use Top Sites, so it's hard telling.
iLife's a Bitch!
lot41

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Releases Safari 4.0.5 Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

Apple has released Safari 4.0.5 for Snow Leopard, Leopard, Tiger and Windows via their Software Update utility and website. According to the company, this update is recommended for all Safari users and includes improvements to performance, stability, and security. This would include the following:

- Performance improvements for Top Sites
- Stability improvements for 3rd-party plug-ins
- Stability improvements for websites with online forms and Scalable Vector Graphics
- Fixes an issue that prevented Safari from changing settings on some Linksys routers

The Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger versions of Safari 4.0.5 weigh in at 30.52MB, 38.59MB and 26.78MB, respectively.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1964.html

After doing the update. It won't open all I get is the spinning ball and Safari not responding. Good thing I had Firefox. Now what? Can I just move it to the trash and go to apple site and try downloading it again? Need help.
Thanks Joe.
Also is there another browser that is popular besides Firefox or maybe I should just stick with firefox. Either way I don't like the idea something may be screwed up.
jthawke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Still don't like it . . . Reply with quote

Okay, yes Safari is faster. However, still weird quirks (does anyone else have the problem where it sometimes decides to open in the top right corner instead of where it was last opened?).

I'm still using Firefox, even with it's memory leaks, etc. I've tried Camino, but it has issues with stored passwords. I love the look and speed of Chrome, but I set my browser window to be NEARLY full screen (use Spaces!!) and with Chrome, when you download a file it EXPANDS the bottom of the window, which then bumps up against the Dock causing it to move up. Chrome on Windows doesn't do this. If they would fix that one thing, I'd switch.

Anyone have a browser that does it all? Smile
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until any other browser offers easy to use AdBlock and NoScript I won't be switching. I haven't found the Safari adblock programs as easy to use or as customizable.
marrydavidson101

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent the webmaster, administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

??? Looks like a robot spammer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: