123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why am I bummed out about apple?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: why am I bummed out about apple? Reply with quote

Well they passed Microsoft as the leader in value. They are now the number one tech company in the world. I don't mind Apple being number one,but they are selling tech that is like crack cocaine.

Being a friend of 4 dead crack users ( They grew up with me in Queens ) I know a bit about so called good things. Speak like it is cheaper and better then coke. iPads are cheaper and better then laptops. Yeah but just like crack they never satisfy and the motto is more more more. I am sitting at my mini and I realize I am at a dead end with apple.

No usb 3 no light pipe fw1600. my processing needs and wants are not satisfied at all. I want blu ray not in site I want usb 3 not in site I want fw1600 not in site. I want to have a 4tb raid with usb 3 not in site I want a 4tb raid with fw 1600 not in site.

I have never owned a pc I may have to cross over to the dark side and build what I want. can't do that with a mac no matter what I pay. But for about 1k I can have what I want with a diy pc. this is really annoying. will need to wait at least a year for apple to do some of what I want. well I guess I could save up some dough and see what they release.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: LUV Me, LUV My Apple Reply with quote

Philip, if your not afraid to hack the Apples
internal SATA port you CAN have USB 3.
However, If you hack the SATA port you can
have SATA so you don't need USB 3.

Almost no one has Light Peak so don't blame SJ......yet!
And I don't know of anyone with FW1600, so......you know.

Let us know what PC you build and how it runs Snow Leopard.
I mean Windows 7!
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: I Understand And Agree Reply with quote

I understand and agree. Since beginning to observe technology in computers when I had to shop for a replacement computer for my XP machine two years ago, I learned what was available.

USB 3 exists and is compatible with USB 2 so why hasn't it been plugged in to computers for the past two years? I can understand why firewire isn't everywhere. Not all computers or devices can use that connector, but USB 3 uses the same type of connector as USB 2. Even if it were included in computers for just a couple of years it would still be useful until the next great thing comes out.

I have an external hard drive with an esata connection. That would be great to have. It too is almost two years old yet there are no low end computers using it. No Macs use it. I can buy a PCI slot adapter for my HP computer and just plug it into the motherboard. It's on my list of things to do.

Actually I intend to sell my Apple computer (after I fix it) and get an iPad. For my other computer uses I think I'll connect my external hard drive to the HP and use it as my Linux platform in the dual boot capacity. I'll keep Vista around for the purpose of maintaining iTunes for synchronizing with the iPad.

I've also been contemplating creating my own desktop computer when the HP wears out. That should be a few years from now so who knows what will be available then. I might change my mind.

The Apple hardware is indeed very functional and more attractive than its competitors but other than their battery technology the internals aren't cutting edge. They're just equal. It's Leopard that makes Macs so wonderful, not the hardware.

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: why am I bummed out about apple? Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
Well they passed Microsoft as the leader in value. They are now the number one tech company in the world. I don't mind Apple being number one,but they are selling tech that is like crack cocaine.

Fortunately most of us can, and do exert self control and not become addicted to crack cocaine or Apple products.
For those who just need or must have every and all the latest that technology has to offer, I do not feel sorry for, same as any other addict.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I avoid focusing on "wants". I focus on "needs".

My mini does everything I "need" it to do (and more).

I respect and understand, that everyone has different wants and needs.
Voyager

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand it when geeks have a rant. I have a computer to do stuff. I try to predict what I want a computer to do and look for one that does what I need. For what reason do you imagine you need to have a 4Gb raid USB 3, FireWire1600 and BlueRay in a Mac mini?

If Apple don't make it then you'll obviously have to go elsewhere for it. But you realise that other major international computer manufacturers probably don't sell that sort of kit don't you?

The number of buyers other who need that sort of configuration is minuscule and if you want to make profit for your shareholders - which is what Apple, Microsoft and everyone else exists to do - then you make stuff that sells to the most consumers.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I avoid focusing on "wants". I focus on "needs".

My mini does everything I "need" it to do (and more).

I respect and understand, that everyone has different wants and needs.

Which is why I usually very happy with my G4 mini for desktop use.

I did build a nice peecee, by picking up pieces over time, but now I want a better video card, and I would like to go with an ATi card but Apple hasn't included the new cards so that I can hackintosh it. Win7 is ok, but Handbrake doesn't have as many features in Windows as it does in OS X. Or I should say the one feature that I want...

However, this is really why Apple needs to build a mini tower type system, in my opinion.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Voyager

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
However, this is really why Apple needs to build a mini tower type system, in my opinion.

A mini Pro? Not a bad idea.

If I were in Mac marketing I think an 'office' version of the mini would be an easy option. Small hard drive, no DVD, wired keyboard and mouse, optional budget monitor, preconfigured for 'office' applications and networking at bit less than the basic MacBook/iMac price point. That could really start eating into Microsoft's customer base....
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also gave up chasing the latest and greatest, be it a new car or the fastest PC money can buy, it's just not worth it. I was always the guy at work with the best PC and also built systems for lots of people. After several years I realized that the new PC just cost me an arm and a leg but it didn't really do anything the old one couldn't, other than maybe doing it a little quicker.

I stopped chasing the upgrades and just settled into using the PC. From time to time I will upgrade and will briefly have the latest and greatest but I'm happy to then live with that for years until it fails and then I'll buy the latest model again. I still have my last PC and it still works should I ever need it, it's only a Athlon 1800 XP, a rocket ship of a system when I built it many years ago. It was replaced by a 2.0 GHz Core2Duo iMac that still works a treat after 3 years of constant use and runs more than fast enough for all the computing tasks I need.

Chasing the upgrades is fine, but you never catch up. When you get USB3 or FW1600, they will announce FW3200 and USB4 or some other new technology which will do it better and faster than what we already have. I'm more than happy now to just have a stable system which does the tasks I need.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I also gave up chasing the latest and greatest, be it a new car or the fastest PC money can buy, it's just not worth it. I was always the guy at work with the best PC and also built systems for lots of people. After several years I realized that the new PC just cost me an arm and a leg but it didn't really do anything the old one couldn't, other than maybe doing it a little quicker.

I stopped chasing the upgrades and just settled into using the PC. From time to time I will upgrade and will briefly have the latest and greatest but I'm happy to then live with that for years until it fails and then I'll buy the latest model again. I still have my last PC and it still works should I ever need it, it's only a Athlon 1800 XP, a rocket ship of a system when I built it many years ago. It was replaced by a 2.0 GHz Core2Duo iMac that still works a treat after 3 years of constant use and runs more than fast enough for all the computing tasks I need.

Chasing the upgrades is fine, but you never catch up. When you get USB3 or FW1600, they will announce FW3200 and USB4 or some other new technology which will do it better and faster than what we already have. I'm more than happy now to just have a stable system which does the tasks I need.

I agree with all of the above but my needs have changed due to hdtv recording. I have huge files and drives with no time for handbrake or any encoding. 4tb raids take a long time to copy at 50-60 mb of firewire800.

I don't like that to get sata raid I need a mac pro at 2499 usd. plus the raid card.

philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the second part to the rant is I went out and got a nice machine the iMac 27 inch with the 3.06 processor and the better graphics card. The picture is really nice and I had to have an all in one. I like it better then the mini to be honest about it.
Now that I have had it for 4 months the one flaw is becoming obvious it only has FW800. No esata and it is not a low end piece of gear. 1600 usd If any gear from apple really should have an esata slot it is this piece of gear. I own a OWC elite-Al pro Qx2 it is silly fast with 4 1tb samsung hdds in it.

I get really good speed from this machine, but it has an eSata and I would be 3x the speed. I go on B&H Photo forums alot and everyone screams have they feel fff'd by not being able to use the newest iMac with eSata for video processing.

Think about it the machine with one of the clearest sharpest screens designed for graphics has terrible connectivity. When I first started using my machine {iMac} as a dvr I knew it had a storage limit so I purchased some gear to offload and save shows the owc 4 bay. Now it kills me to know that if I boot with the owc it is way faster then the internal hdd and if I could use the freaking esata on the OWC it would be 3x faster. I guess I get annoyed when I really am intentionally avoiding owning pc's and a 25 to 50 dollar option was left off the iMac. If you own a new mac and want to use eSata it has to be a mac pro. I don't really want to hack the mini and use 1 sata for a raid 0 and use the other for a second raid 0. If I go that route this looks like the only plug and play raid 0 I can find.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111112&Tpk=ts2ct

I set this up for one forum member as a fw800 raid 0 and it was really quite nice. To start I could buy one and use it with a pair of samsung 1tb f3's.. Hey billb give me the link to a mini top for servers. I am buying that top and the sans digital. maybe I will grab a pair of velociraptors .

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All valid points Phil. There is no reason you can't have a Mac and a PC. With your thirst for "real world" engineering and constant upgrades, I'm surprised you don't already have a PC.

It would be like owning a muscle car (PC) and a reliable daily driver (Mac).
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really a convoluted thread. Griping that neither the iMac nor the Mini have eSATA? Video pros, the ones that are not hobbyists, the ones that wouldn't be complaining on B&H forums would be using a MacPro. They wouldn't go out and buy a Mini or an iMac and then complain about it. They are not hobbyists using it for a DVR and know that as such a RAID is huge overkill for simply watching video.

Sure it's a nice toy to have a ultra fast RAID with fastest current connectivity and the fastest HD's around. Is it necessary for watching video at home, nope. If you want the best and the fastest, pay for it. Apple, or insert other company here, does not exist to do exactly what you or I want.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
This is really a convoluted thread. Griping that neither the iMac nor the Mini have eSATA? Video pros, the ones that are not hobbyists, the ones that wouldn't be complaining on B&H forums would be using a MacPro. They wouldn't go out and buy a Mini or an iMac and then complain about it. They are not hobbyists using it for a DVR and know that as such a RAID is huge overkill for simply watching video.

Sure it's a nice toy to have a ultra fast RAID with fastest current connectivity and the fastest HD's around. Is it necessary for watching video at home, nope. If you want the best and the fastest, pay for it. Apple, or insert other company here, does not exist to do exactly what you or I want.

Well it is a convoluted thread due to the nature of my mind. I am a very convoluted individual.

It is really quite simple solution a low cost option eSata that has triple the speed of fw800. It is restricted to mac users unless they buy a mac pro or a xserve. If you don't want that option just wait a few more years of recording and you will want it. Also Apple claims to be a green company. Just one question how many hours have been spent with handbrake doing encoding worldwide? as anyone know handbrake is slow and burns power.

if you had an esata port that let you hook up to a 4 bay raid unit for your dvds your tv shows you would not waste time burning juice doing handbrake. file compression would be far less important. But no. It is not available for under 2499 on a mac . it is available on 400 dollar pc's..

So my gripe is I have to think disposable and not be green. esata is not cutting edge. OWC had esata on its ministack v3 over 2 years ago. So why does apple want to hold back fast connectivity to all of its units. I do not need a mac pro it has far more then I need. I don't need an xserve it has far more then i need.. So steve if you are out there let us have a high speed hook up to imac or mini's or both.

ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I don't use HandBrake or any other software to transcode or compress so it seems pretty simple to me. Uncompressed media doesn't need RAID or eSATA. FW800 is plenty fast, Gigabit Ethernet is fast enough. Heck, VIDEO_TS plays excellently over Airport for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: