123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac-mini connections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tokyofan

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Mac-mini connections Reply with quote

I'll soon be upgrading from a Powermac G5 to a Mac-mini. I'd like to know what cables/adapters I'll need to connect an Apple cinema display 23" flat panel....and also my television via HDML (for mirroring).

Thanks!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's an ADC display, then you will need something like this adapter. If it's a regular DVI display, then just a mini DVI to DVI adapter should do it.

To go with the HDMI, then you will need something like this cable.

As far as I know, the mini Displayport does not provide audio, so you would need something like this adapter to get 5.1 out to a receiver. Or a regular stereo mini jack to get stereo out to speakers.

As for the mirroring - I'm not sure, about that.
SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
tokyofan

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

Thanks! I did some checking and my Apple cinema display is DVI...

So, with the Mac-mini, I believe I would need a mini DVI to DVI adapter to connect the display. (DVI port)

And for the HD TV, I would need a Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter...I already have a long DVI to HDMI cable. (Mini Display port)

For audio with the TV, I would be using an AD-DA converter that I'll be connecting to the Mac-mini via Mini-Toslink and will have a stereo plugged into the converter's phone jack.

Does this all make sense?

Thanks again!
macmini2010

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mini DV to DVI connector comes with the Mac Mini, one caveat it's just pressure-fit so make sure the DVI connector is supported on a flat surface not and not dangled off the desk/shelf if it's in a house where it's in danger of a pet/child running into it.

It seems to make sense but I haven't connected mine to a TV (My HTPC is a windows based computer). I have read on other message boards some TV's just don't like the adapter (I forget which one but it wasn't the major brands ie Panasonic/Samsung/Sony/LG).

Good luck and enjoy your Mac Mini.
- Power Mac - G4 "Sawtooth" 450/2/80/DVD/ZIP! Panther
- Mac SE/30 192/30/SuperDrive Ocelot
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need a dual link adapter unless you have one of those fancy 21 by 9 HDTVs. Everything else you mentioned looks good.

Like macmini2010 said, not all displays play nicely with the mini. You may need to use SwitchResX to get it to cooperate.

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
tokyofan

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys!

I just ordered a Mac-mini from Apple Store in Japan (where I live).
2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2
500GB Serial ATADrive

Added an Apple Mini DisplayPort - DVA adapter, Apple Remote, Apple Care...

Should get here within a few days! Will plan on using 'Migration Assistant' to transfer data from the old G5.
Thanks!
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Smithcraft that the dual link DVI adapter is not the proper connector for any HD TV that I know of so I would check the TV connector options carefully. Only a select few high res monitors use a dual link DVI cable, and I can only think of two, with one being Apple's ridiculously over-priced monitor.

edit: Good choice on the high end Mac Mini! Can't ever go wrong with the maximum horses for any particular model you buy.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
decaturnc

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
To go with the HDMI, then you will need something like this cable.

As far as I know, the mini Displayport does not provide audio, so you would need something like this adapter to get 5.1 out to a receiver. Or a regular stereo mini jack to get stereo out to speakers.

What would we do with out Monoprice.com? My mother was running her new 32" LG HD TV off of the old RCA A/V cable that she used to connect her DirecTV receiver up to her OLD 27" Sanyo tube television. It hurt so bad watching TV at her house that I jumped on her computer and suggested that she get a HDMI cable to connect the receiver to the television. She got the cable in the mail and installed it and admitted that the picture looked "much better." I think the only reason she ordered the cable was because the Radio Shack dealer in "town" wanted $39.00 a 6' HDMI cable and Monoprice.com had a 6' for $9.00.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my recent order, I picked up a six foot TOSlink cable for under three bucks, while Frys in town wants something around twenty bucks!

Gotta love the monoprice!

SC

Make sure it has pins!
joe1946

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a DVI-HDMI cable from Monoprice to connect my Mac Mini to my 1080p HDTV and Mini Display port -HDMI adapter also from Monoprice to connect to my 26" Samsung T260HD monitor/TV using a HDMI cable. I view 1900x1080 on my HDTV and 1920x1200 on my T260HD in dual monitor mode and it works great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: