123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boxee and the Apple TV - Why?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  

My current Mac is
My first Mac
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
My second Mac
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
My second computer, but the other is a PC
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I've lost count because I've had so many Macs
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
My first computer was an Apple II - I'm a kool-aid drinker!
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

KoderKev

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Boxee and the Apple TV - Why? Reply with quote

Maybe I'm a bit dim, but I've installed Boxee on my ATV, and am unable to watch most flash-based content. I'm not really into pirating torrents for shows, which might make Boxee more useful, but right now I'm having a hard time finding a reason to keep it. Most of my content is already in iTunes.

Can someone explain how they use Boxee to get a good user experience? I've tried, for example, watching "Fringe" via both the Fox and Hulu sources, and both are slow and stutter. Boxee mis-labelled my recent seasons of Doctor Who as classic Doctor Who seasons, showing me episode names that aren't correct.

Am I stupid? I just don't see what everyone is so excited about. I'm not wanting to just pointlessly bitch, I really want to like this program. Can anyone clarify or show me what I'm doing wrong?

2.3 ghz 2011 mini w/ 250 SSD & 8 gb RAM
2 tb ext. Time Machine HD "Superman"
1 tb ext. media HD "Batman"
32gb iPhone 5c
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like Boxee due to some of the reasons you mentioned above such as mislabelling shows and not letting me correct them. I use Plex which I find works much better for me.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been toying around the Boxee, Plex and XBMC. I still keep using FrontRow though, even with its limitations it just works every time. All my movies and TV shows are ripped for iTunes and tagged my way. What I don't like, or haven't found is the ability to have more control over the covers and sorting. What I'd really like to see is the Apple team step up to the plate and bring FrontRow current and something that can compete with the other 3, and allow more plug-in's and more add-on's to expand the functionality of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: