123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPad on order
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundzen

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow !!! cant wait either...

i fancy the ipad for internet and ebooks at night in bed, away from the living room mac mini

i wont use iphoto because once i saw the pics i wont see them again

i find the keyboard amazing in real life size!

i only hope i can play music while surfing the net or replying my emails.

the real downsize to me is that its wifi dependent so i cant take it anywhere else than my apartment

cant take it to my summer house because we dont have net there, thats why i used to take my laptop and capture net with a usb SIM card bundle attached.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundzen wrote:
i only hope i can play music while surfing the net or replying my emails.

You can. You could do that on the iPod Touch or an iPhone anyway. The iPod section is one of the built it apps that will multitask and it continues to play when you leave the app and start something else.

soundzen wrote:
the real downsize to me is that its wifi dependent so i cant take it anywhere else than my apartment

cant take it to my summer house because we dont have net there, thats why i used to take my laptop and capture net with a usb SIM card bundle attached.

Thats why I went for the 3G model, it was an extra £100 and I may not use it but I at least I always have the option to enable the data plan if I do need it.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
soundzen

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx cypher, i thought the ipad didnt do multi-tasking and that the user has to close one app to open another... something about an upgrade in the fall?

about the 3G, you need to seal a contract with your operator for them to serve you with internet when you are not wifi covered, right? is it a SIM card that is put inside the ipad, like a cellphone?

so a wifi 3G ipad costs 600 euros i would say... the price of a netbook 10" computer fully equiped with windows vista but LESS COOLER !!! Laughing
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are correct about the third party user apps multitasking, but the iPod section and other Apple background tasks such as push notification already do multitasking.

Quote:
About 3G Data Plans for iPad

To start 3G service on your iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G, you will need a micro-SIM card and a data plan. A range of data plans are available and most don’t require a contract. When you order your iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G from the Apple Online Store, you can add a micro-SIM card from any of the carriers listed below. You can start 3G service anytime after installing the micro-SIM card. Some plans can even be started right on the iPad.

In the UK it looks like we can have monthly rolling contracts as well as short "I need it now type connections" the monthly ones aren't like the standard mobile phone contracts where you sign up for 18 months or 24 Months, you can cancel these ones at anytime.
O2 are also offering a range of tariffs which includes a £2 a day offering. http://shop.o2.co.uk/ipadtariffs/
Orange are offering a daily and a weekly plan for £2 and £7.50 - http://shop.orange.co.uk/ipad/ipad-choose-your-plan
both offer various bandwidth restricted monthly offerings as well.

I'm sure in time we will see traditional contracts offered forcing you into a long term contract but these will probably come with a "free" or heavily discounted iPad.

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got my iPad yesterday, for some reason Apple shipped them all in the UK a day early.

What can I say other than it's awesome. I can really see me getting a hell of a lot of use out of this. The apps look amazing now that their not constrained to the small screen size of the touch or iPhone. Browsing is so good on this. Also the keyboard feels almost as natural as using a real full sized keyboard.

{edit}
I had a few little issues with some later forum posts and correcting mistakes is a little tedious without having the use of the cursor keys to navigate back to, but I'm sure I'll get use to it the more I use it. I would never have attempted to type long posts like this on my iPod Touch.

Last edited by Cypher on Fri May 28, 2010 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
soundzen

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf !!!

not for your shipping that is, but for the portuguese latest apple-news that the ipad will cost 700 Euros for its basic 16Gb wifi version !!!

what a outrage for portuguese fans...

$500 dollars equals 400 Euros on this month currency converter - so where the hell does those extra 300 come from? im so pissed off !!!

lucky you my friend who can get the ipad at its true price Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
soundzen

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Well I got my iPad yesterday, for some reason Apple shipped them all in the UK a day early. What can I say other than it's awesome. I can really see me getting a hell of a lot of use out of this. Browsing is so good on this. Also the keyboard fells almost as natural as using a full sized real keyboard, The apps look amazing now that their not constrained to the small screen size of the touch or iPhone.

congratulations cypher im happy for you and expect a review with pics plzzzzzzzz Wink
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundzen wrote:
lucky you my friend who can get the ipad at its true price Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

The model I bought was £599 which is approx $875. In the US the same model sells for $729. allowing for sales tax which I believe isn't shown on the US site but is on the UK it would be $855 at our rate of taxation. So it's not as bad as I had first thought when the pricing was first announced. Although i think thats more to do with the dollar - pound exchange rates changing in the dollars favour.

I'm not sure where you got your pricing info from but the Spanish pricing is €479-679 for wifi and €579-779 for 3G
France and Germany are slightly more expensive at €499-699 for wifi and €599-799 for 3G

Assuming the Spanish pricing will be similar to Portugal the same model I have would be €679 which at current rates is £580 - $842 slightly cheaper than I paid assuming your pricing doesn't exclude any form of sales tax.

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher and Soundzen.

I don't know if you noticed, but your avatar colors and shape are similar. When I scroll through this post it looks like the same person talking to themselves Smile
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fancied a new iMac Wink

Is that better Laughing

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I fancied a new iMac Wink

Is that better Laughing

Laughing yes

very affordable upgrade. Smile
soundzen

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for changing your avatar cypher lol - im doing the same!

the price is from an renowned european online store (www.pixmania.com) which is french based so maybe the pricing come from them and not the portuguese resellers.

its sells ipad 16gb wifi (without 3G) at 700 euros which i find expensive for the low entry model even with taxes to be included... indeed its the exchange fault and all middle-men who take bite$ along the wayu of the production <-> consumer line , making the price rise!

http://www.pixmania.com/pt/pt/5341808/art/apple/apple-ipad-wifi-16gb.html

can you believe that we dont have an apple store here? only electronic stores (sort of "best buy") selling many brands all together along Apple... there is only an online 100% mac store to buy from, but they dont do cheaper prices for that reason, so it doesnt matter where i get my apple stuff.

for 700 euros i can get a basic wifi 15" laptop with Win7 and see any extension of movie & music through memory card and usb entries, plus do production with Office sheets, word, powerpoint and even install other apps such as Autocad to work... i know the ipad is not for production, only fun and mobility and no laptop its as cool and minimalist as an ipad - but if only apple would promise to maintain the same price across europe for the basic model (under 600 euros), then huge sales are guarantied here in portugal.

i hope the 700 price tag was made up from the store i mentioned above and does not reflect the final ipad price here... i will ask around. Wink
soundzen

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a very sad news from a phone forum:

Quote:
In Portugal, Media Markt has received stock of the tablet, letting customers view and even touch the iPad, but not buy it at this time.

The retailer is taking in pre-orders already, while Expansys in the same country promises delivery in five days following the payment, of all three Wi-Fi variants, but the 3G ones, as it haven't been made available by Apple.

The price on Expansys (similar to pixmania) for the iPad 16GB Wi-Fi edition is at EUR764.99 (US$1023.90), more than double of the price in the USA, which is US$499.

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
very affordable upgrade. Smile

If only it were like that in real life Razz

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundzen wrote:
the price is from an renowned european online store (www.pixmania.com) which is french based

unfortunately renowned or not Pixmania is owned by UK based DSGi (Dixons Store Group) in the UK they trade as multiple companies including Dixons, Curry's and PC World and are equally renowned for their competitive pricing. They masquerade as separate companies and are only competitive with themselves. Evil or Very Mad

Can you not buy from the Spanish Apple store and have it shipped, or wiat for the Portugese Apple store to start selling ? The likes of Pixmania are just cashing in on the fact you guys didn't get the same release date as the rest of us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: