123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it worth it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Is it worth it? Reply with quote

I have a question for all new switchers...

Honestly... is it worth it? I've been waiting for more than a month for my mini to arrive, and it is delayed again. Confused

I am beginning to wonder what can I really expect from a company that cannot produce a product in this long.

I'm thinking of cancelling my order and buy a PC. At least I would have something!!

So, is it?

JS
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point maybe you should cancel yor order and wait for Tiger. How long did they move it back? I'd still get one, I mean what else are you going to get a Dell! Sad
bubba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to cancel it, at least get a Mac (powerbook/ibook/powermac). Yes it is worth it. If you want something that doesn't require tons of additional software in order to function (AntiVirus, Anti-Spyware/Adware, etc etc) and want something that "just works" then you should stick with it. Otherwise, you can go back to your blue screens and your spyware.
nalenb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of functionality, it's okay. It's not a screaming machine, but for $500 it's not bad. It handles my email, browsing, digital pictures just fine. There isn't much I couldn't do on it and it is pretty. But it's no comparison to my AMD 64 with a 10k rpm drive. I don't really try to keep too many apps open at once since I only upgraded to 512 ram. And the mini is a little pokey at times (like having it open a few applications on start up).

The price is a toss up too. I spent $599 for the mini and then $100 for a usb dvd burner and $70 for 512 ram = $769. I paid about $750 for a new AMD 64 box at newegg (self assembly) with XP Pro.

If you are needing OSX (like I am to develop an OSX version of a product) or want to try out OSX, the mini is definitely the way to go. I'd say if you have the money and know OSX is for you, a PowerBook or iMac G5 is probably the way to go.
JS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two questions

Speaking of spy wares, viruses...

Are we really THAT safe with macs, without anti-viruses? It seems that with the mini, Macs are going to be more and more popular. Aren't we gonna have to buy all those softwares anytime soon?

About speed...
I bought a 1,42Ghz with 512 Ram. I do not plan to use it to make heavy things like create movies or anything, but maybe some music recording. Will the harddrive be too slow? I read that 5200 rpm could not handle more than 8 tracks played simultaneously, which is enough for me. Am I wrong?

Thanks
JS
bubba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JS wrote:
Two questions

Speaking of spy wares, viruses...

Are we really THAT safe with macs, without anti-viruses? It seems that with the mini, Macs are going to be more and more popular. Aren't we gonna have to buy all those softwares anytime soon?

About speed...
I bought a 1,42Ghz with 512 Ram. I do not plan to use it to make heavy things like create movies or anything, but maybe some music recording. Will the harddrive be too slow? I read that 5200 rpm could not handle more than 8 tracks played simultaneously, which is enough for me. Am I wrong?

Thanks
JS

At this point, you only need to worry about security holes, etc which Apple does a good job of patching. Since OS X is based on Unix (FreeBSD to be exact), there isn't alot that could be done as far as viruses or spyware. Of course someone could write a simple script or app that will go through and delete all of your stuff, but unless you have authorized it to run as the root user (you know, the password prompt that you see at times when installing software) then the only thing you will lose are your personal files or things installed under your user.

A machine is only as secure as the owner allows it to be, this is true for both Windows and OS X. The only drawback is that it is difficult to keep Windows secure because of all the holes that MS has left in their OS.

I've never had AV on any of my Linux machines or OS X machines and don't plan on it.
nalenb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe the problem is with the XP OS per se, but the fact the users run as root and certain applications run scripts and stuff by default. So I bubba is right, it's a user issue. If you have people running things without thinking on the machine, you're going to have problems.
bubba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalenb wrote:
I don't believe the problem is with the XP OS per se, but the fact the users run as root and certain applications run scripts and stuff by default. So I bubba is right, it's a user issue. If you have people running things without thinking on the machine, you're going to have problems.

Well, XP also has issues with its OS integrated browser that provides an easy route for internet borne objects to enter the system. That coupled with years of not providing and adequate firewall, etc. And the fact that viruses, worms and spyware are mainly targeted towards Windows. It is a User issue, but it is also an OS issue. Microsoft has never had security as their number one objective, perhaps barely even on their radar until now. SP2 provides a firewall but doesn't do anything about Spyware, and their AntiSpyware beta is going to be a subscription service. So, not only are they going to create a swiss cheese OS but they'll also provide the software to protect it? Sounds like a fox is guarding the henhouse to me...

But yes, I agree it is that people are running things as Administrator and Microsoft hasn't really done anything to incorporate privledge separation into their OS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: