123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shared ethernet connection network config problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bolfings

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Shared ethernet connection network config problem Reply with quote

Heres the problem - I have a wired ethernet connected printer. When my macbook connects to my home network thru my wireless router, I can print to it without any problem. But the connection to the router is iffy - so I turned on ethernet sharing on my mini, sharing to airport. Now my macbook has a much stronger connection to my network, and I can easily access all the computers at home, but I cannot print to the ethernet printer - I get a communication error.

The home network is all 192.168.2.x, but the shared connection I get thru the mini is 10.0.2.x. I can connect to the printer with Safari, but it will not print until I log onto the router, and have a 192.168.2.x address - Or at least I think that is the error, mabe there is something else?

Anyone have any ideas on what to try?

Thanks!

(oh - all are running 10.6.3 if that matters)
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would need to set the printer up on the mini as a shared printer. The macbook would then print through the mini's shared printer rather than trying to find the network printer itself which going off your IP addresses is on a completely separate network.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: