123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When to buy with education discount?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ma5ter5

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: When to buy with education discount? Reply with quote

I'll be getting a new laptop for school this fall (have yet to decide between the MB and MBP). One of the perks of being a student (and I hope the run the offer again) is that when I purchase the computer, I get a free iPod. I would love to pick up the latest and greatest iPod, but according to the MacRumors buying guide, Apple tends to release the new iPods in September. Two things:

1) Does anyone remember how long Apple runs the free iPod promotion? If I am patient and can wait the first two weeks of school without a laptop, should I wait so I can get a new model iPod?

2) Since the promotion is a rebate, I have to buy the iPod first. If I recall correctly, a customer may return an item if a newer generation is released within 14 days of purchase? So, If I wait until August 31, and a new iPod is released on Sept 9, would I be able to take it back in exchange?

Thanks,

Steve
iPod Touch 2nd gen 32gb (dead, stupid washing machine incident)
iPod nano 1st gen 4gb
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that deal last year. the rebate check takes 40 days.

I think if you return the ipod they will cancel the check. even if the return is for an upgrade. You have a lot of ifs in your question. soooo don't worry too much until the deal unfolds. If the deal is the same as last year and you buy the MBP and the 'Old' ipod while you wait for the rebate check you could sell the 'old' ipod on ebay. then when the rebate check comes you could cash it in and then buy a " new" ipod if the new ipod comes out in oct or sept.

you would end up losing 20 maybe 30 in ebay fees but you would get the newer model.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station

Last edited by philiparcario on Tue May 25, 2010 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
ReliantLion

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have to ask yourself what could a newer iPod really have over the previous generation? I tend to skip a generation or two before buying a new piece of hardware, simply because prices aren't usually good enough to get the latest and greatest all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: