123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Win7 on Macmini.....the ultimate nightmare

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nutcr0cker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Win7 on Macmini.....the ultimate nightmare Reply with quote

I have a recent version of MAC mini (4 months ago)came with a snow leopard disk and nvidia 9400 card.I need to run windows 7 32bit on my MAC mini for some applications. Here is what I did
1. Partition 20gb using Bootcamp assistant
2. Installed win7 32 bit
3. Installed bootcamp 3.0 and the upgrade 3.1

The problem is that after the second reboot the screen goes blank/black and never comes up. Any solutions ?
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking this is due to a bad Nivida driver. Try deleting this off your bootcamp partition.

C:\windows\system32\drivers\nv*.sys
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
bad Nivida driver

I suspect that as well. I had very little issues installing W7 (32 bit) and W7 runs perfect, but I have the older 2008 mini with the older gm 950 graphic card.

Good luck and keep us updated.
EXT. HD:Lacie D2Quadra-1TB and WD Studio 2TB
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".
Dbeau

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue. For me though all I did was leave the windows partition to boot until I heard the hard drive no longer spinning.
Then I did a hard power down by holding in the power button of the mini.

When I rebooted I got the improper shut down screen. Selected "Boot windows normally". Windows booted with basic vga drivers and once I did the driver updates I no longer had issues.
b0bb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Win7 on Macmini.....the ultimate nightmare Reply with quote

nutcr0cker wrote:
I have a recent version of MAC mini (4 months ago)came with a snow leopard disk and nvidia 9400 card.I need to run windows 7 32bit on my MAC mini for some applications. Here is what I did

The problem is that after the second reboot the screen goes blank/black and never comes up. Any solutions ?

The partition size should also be increased by another 10Gb. I have
run into issues where Win7 does not clean up properly during install
on partitions less than 30Gb
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W7 has been a Nightmare on my Late 2009 iMac. Startup Problems galore. It gets stuck & freezes up constantly. Audio Skips. Tried updating various drivers & even the Bootcamp 3.1 Update Freezes up.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally got W7 working in Bootcamp. The 3.1 update seemed to fix my issues. But getting the update to load without freezing up my iMac, took 4 downloads & tries. It's almost as if the original BC Drivers on the Snow Leopard DVD, made Windows worse after Installing. This has been quite an ordeal. Like I said, Installed on old P$ PC with No issues. So it's not my Disc. The iMac because it's an All In One, has many detailed Drivers & that would be my Guess why it has issues.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dgktkr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Win7 on Macmini.....the ultimate nightmare Reply with quote

This is much too late to be of any use to the original poster, but someone else may want to try what worked for me.

My Mini is mid 2010 with the Nvidia 320m and the display is an old analog Princeton AF3.0HD.

The install of Windows 7 went OK as did the driver update from the OS-X install DVD. On subsequent reboot, the text "Windows" would appear temporarily, but then the screen would go black.

I found that if I held down the F8 key during bootup, I could choose "Use low display resolution" (or something to that effect) and the system would continue to bootup and the desktop was visible. I went into Display settings and found the Nvidia driver GUI. There I selected a resolution that my display could handle. Apparently the screen was going black, because the system was defaulting to a resolution that my display couldn't handle.

dgktkr

nutcr0cker wrote:
2. Installed win7 32 bit

joeleitz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Win7 on Macmini.....the ultimate nightmare Reply with quote

dgktkr wrote:
This is much too late to be of any use to the original poster, but someone else may want to try what worked for me.

My Mini is mid 2010 with the Nvidia 320m and the display is an old analog Princeton AF3.0HD.

The install of Windows 7 went OK as did the driver update from the OS-X install DVD. On subsequent reboot, the text "Windows" would appear temporarily, but then the screen would go black.

I found that if I held down the F8 key during bootup, I could choose "Use low display resolution" (or something to that effect) and the system would continue to bootup and the desktop was visible. I went into Display settings and found the Nvidia driver GUI. There I selected a resolution that my display could handle. Apparently the screen was going black, because the system was defaulting to a resolution that my display couldn't handle.

dgktkr

nutcr0cker wrote:
2. Installed win7 32 bit

That's pretty close to what I was experiencing word for word.. I could try it again but the only reason I was running that was for an old WinFaxPro setup I had where it was nicely configured with menus and fax-back options and I was too lazy to redo it properly. At this point I've got internet fax setup and I'd really only go back to Windows for some gaming and lately all the really addictive games work great on OSX.

Between WoW and Minecraft I barely get anything productive done on the computer, I don't know why people want more games. They just need more work! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: