123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parallels VM Lessons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Parallels VM Lessons Reply with quote

After using Parallels VM with XP Pro on my Mac Mini, I've learned a few things about VM on the Mac. They don't like services behind the scenes connecting to the outside world. After great frustration with the VM being pushed to 100% of the available CPU so no mouse clicks are processed, I finally started to clean house and rid myself of all the extra services stuff being duplicated on the Mini, including iTunes, Windows Live Junk, misc Apple updater things and everything else that wants to connect to the Windows machine from the outside. This has stopped the 100% cpu usage by the VM. No need for all this junk when your running inside the Mac Mini world. Keeping a working snapshot is also good for backing up when it locks out.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
b0bb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Parallels VM Lessons Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
After using Parallels VM with XP Pro on my Mac Mini, I've learned a few things about VM on the Mac. They don't like services behind the scenes connecting to the outside world. After great frustration with the VM being pushed to 100% of the available CPU so no mouse clicks are processed, I finally started to clean house and rid myself of all the extra services stuff being duplicated on the Mini, including iTunes, Windows Live Junk, misc Apple updater things and everything else that wants to connect to the Windows machine from the outside. This has stopped the 100% cpu usage by the VM. No need for all this junk when your running inside the Mac Mini world. Keeping a working snapshot is also good for backing up when it locks out.

Parallels can fall into a hole like that when a service insists on running. I have
had issues with anti virus programs and failed USB hotplug events on Parallels.

VMVare fusion is a little better in this regard but the disk io is worse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: