123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone And Linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: iPhone And Linux Reply with quote

I don't own an iPhone but I intend to get an iPad in a couple of months. Since the iPad uses the exact same OS as the iPhone I want to know how well I'll be able to have it interact with Linux. Anybody here have an iPhone that interacts with Linux programs?

My plan is to dual boot my HP computer with Vista and the newest Ubuntu when it comes out. Will I be able to have the iPad interact with Linux or must I do everything through Vista? I've never heard of iTunes for Linux.

If Apple ever wanted to help Microsoft die it would make iTunes and Safari compatible with Linux distributions.

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
colryn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running Fedora 12 and tried to install iTunes with Wine. It began the install process, then right at the end I got an ugly message saying Wine crash. iTunes shows up as a program to use in Wine but it does not launch.

That is my experience with iTunes and Linux. To my knowledge, there isn't a Linux offering of iTunes.
iMac 24" 2.8C2D, 320 HDD
15" MBP
ATV
16G iPhone
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no version of iTunes for Linux, but there are versions of Linux audiovisual software that can interact with ipods (and I assume iPhone) in limited ways. I have the program, rhythmbox on my netbook, and it has an iPod plugin that allows the program to see and play music content when an iPod is connected to it. I believe it can copy songs over as well, but I don't think it can sync. However, there are other open source programs that can, e.g., GTKPod. Here is an article about the use of an iPod on Linux that you might find helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: