123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got a new imac i7 yesterday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueeggs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Got a new imac i7 yesterday. Reply with quote

Went to my local apple store and got myself a new imac i7. The speed of this system is amazing! They started stocking The i7's a few days ago. Im glad I waited and saved some more money for this one.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations,

I would just love to get my hands on a Quad Core 27" iMac Embarassed

I think it's just a bit out of my league though Razz

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 27 inch with a 3.06 cpu and the better graphics card it is very fast, so your i7 must fly

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
blueeggs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I ripped a 2 hr movie in handbrake and only took 25 min took about 2 hrs to do on my mini 1.83 c2d. Handbrake uses hyperthreading so it really takes advantage of the i7.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they resolve all those screen/display issues with the new iMacs?? (haven't been following that for a while)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blueeggs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I exchanged mine today at my local apple store. I had some yellow tint on mine like alot of other posts I read. Even as it was very slight yellow. Alot of people would not have noticed. I called apple care and they told me they were aware of the issue but it should be fixed by now. My mac was made week 12 of this year. Like a week before I purchased it. Apple care told me I could take it back for an exchange. The apple genius also noticed the color variation across the screen. I said I hope the next isnt like this one. He said he would opening them untill I found one I was happy with. The first one we opened had a perfect screen. No yellow or dead stuck pixels. It was also made the same week as my returned Imac. I was very amazed at the level of customer service. Thank you Apple.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I haven't owned an iMac for quite a while (well, I do have an old 17" G5 iMac). I purchased a 20" iMac (CD) right after the switch to intel. I enjoyed it, but eventually sold that iMac and a 12" iBook in favor of a first gen Macbook.

Since then, I seem to jump from one new MB/P release to the next. Smile

I'd love the raw horsepower of one of the new iMac's for all the virtualization I do for work...but I'd rather they come out with beefier MBP's. (my current MBP sports 8GB of ram and (of course) a core2duo CPU, but would love to see a mobile i5 or i7)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cheef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my 27" i5 for a couple of months now and absolutely love it. I monitored the 200+ page thread on the Apple discussion forums for around 2 months before I pounced and bought one.

The problem certainly kept me at bay until I was sure Apple were reacting to it. I was very lucky though, no yellowing, and not one flicker on my 2009 week 45 build.

The screen real estate is incredible, and so bright. They're certainly a great piece of technology and very powerful.
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
Interesting. I haven't owned an iMac for quite a while (well, I do have an old 17" G5 iMac). I purchased a 20" iMac (CD) right after the switch to intel. I enjoyed it, but eventually sold that iMac and a 12" iBook in favor of a first gen Macbook.

Since then, I seem to jump from one new MB/P release to the next. Smile

I'd love the raw horsepower of one of the new iMac's for all the virtualization I do for work...but I'd rather they come out with beefier MBP's. (my current MBP sports 8GB of ram and (of course) a core2duo CPU, but would love to see a mobile i5 or i7)

right now the imac is a far better deal then a macbook pro. It will need a big upgrade. I have 12gb ram a 3.06 cpu and a 27 inch screen. my cost was about 2000 with my own ram included.

philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a mac book pro 15 inch with a 3.06 ghz cpu a 750gb hdd and 8 gb ram is 2900 if you do the ram, hdd yourself. 900 more then the imac. of course if you need it to be portable you don't have a choice.

blueeggs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I love being able to have two full safari windows open side by side have still have room left over.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
a mac book pro 15 inch with a 3.06 ghz cpu a 750gb hdd and 8 gb ram is 2900 if you do the ram, hdd yourself. 900 more then the imac. of course if you need it to be portable you don't have a choice.

the price is, largely, irrelevant as I'm more interested in getting the appropriate tool/toy then getting the best deal. For now portability is key. Thus, I have the 13.3", which I hook up to an external monitor when I am home.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes they really hit you hard in the wallet to be portable.

NRecob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
I have the 27 inch with a 3.06 cpu and the better graphics card it is very fast, so your i7 must fly

the i7 does fly-- VMWare Fusion POPS open in like 1/2 sec!---on my "old" 2ghz C2D Mini it used to take like 20+ sec to fully open.....

NEAT processor--now if they can just get an i7 inside the old Mini enclosure I'd think I've died and gone to heaven! lol On second thought, it's fast for a consumer desktop but if you really want to scream, study weather patterns on a global scale etc etc there's nothing like Cray's $65,000 24 Core "desktop" (more like a desk): http://content.dell.com/us/en/enterprise/hpcc-cray-cx1-iws.aspx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: