123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMac Won't Boot ! Help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Idea! At least you'll find out right away if it's software issues. And I hope in your case, it is software! I sure wish mine was! Sad
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Congrats Bandit! That 1000th Post shows you how many Problems I've had. You of all people have to admit, my Problems are doozies to troubleshoot. Too many coincidences leading me down the wrong road is my usual.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Thanks for the Congrats Bandit! That 1000th Post shows you how many Problems I've had. You of all people have to admit, my Problems are doozies to troubleshoot. Too many coincidences leading me down the wrong road is my usual.

Yah, it's pretty funny Laughing at least for me it is Smile

Do you know how to partition a drive and use CCC or SuperDuper? It is very easy. I could post screen shots. It really is very little effort. Maybe I'll do it just for the benefit of others in a thread of it's own.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the 1000 posts Dino. Cool

Good idea on a Partitioning and running CCC / Superduper tutorial thread Bandit. I've always been a fan of these type of apps and its very useful info for everyone to know.

On windows I always had a couple of Norton ghost Images of my system for quick reinstalls and I was quick to get a similar system set up on the Mac. I had a base image of Windows + updates + MSOffice etc, no software that updated frequently. I also had a full ghost image of my system with all my installed apps. Every 6 months I would replace my system with the Ghost Image to speed it back up. My data emails etc were all stored on a separate partition so I never lost any data I was only updating my apps and windows installation.

After buying the Mac and later an external firewire drive, I then used CCC to clone my Tiger install to the firewire drive which was fully bootable. I also did the same with my Leopard and Snow Leopard installs The only trouble is I stupidly updated the Snow Leopard one after I had upgraded to 10.6.3 and just before I started to notice issues with my system. So I don't want to risk reverting back to that one as. So it looks like its time for a clean install this weekend.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm really depressed. I had my iMac Up & running temporarily , but I decide to update to 10.6.3. So I do the Update & machine Restarts & I think. Maybe it's fixed itself. So I try to restart One more time & now it won't Start Up at all. Thought I was going to get stuff (editing) done with it for the Weekend. Now I may as well bring it in tomorrow & give the Tech a head start on the Troubleshooting. But get this. I look at my Brand New Install Disc that came with iMac & there are gauges & scratches on the entire disc. That happened from the drive trying to boot to disc over & over again. The Drive chewed up the disc. The Tech is expecting me to bring the Disc in tact. He says the iMac can only boot to that Disc. Also said my Retail Version of SL would not work for the iMac. So now I have to beg the lady at  Customer Relations to send me a new disc. This has been a bad experience.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Dino, I had to laugh, shake my head and then hold it in disbelief. It could only happen to you buddy.

It's not like it's your fault if the drive scratched it. This shouldn't happen though as it is being read by a laser. The only contact should be in the center of the disk. I have to question if it got scratch on the side of the DVD drive slot as it was inserted and ejected.

The only reason I ever purchased double layer DVD disk was to make a copy of the OS disk. There is no copy protection on it (if all is still the same) so it's simple to copy. Keep the original is the grey box and hope to never have to use it again. Sorry to sound like I'm preaching (it's just good practice).

Are you at least getting to the start-up chime?
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit, YES, ONLY ME! Smile
Apple won't overnight the DVD. 3-4 Days. Crap! Why did the Technician tell me the iMac would not load my Retail Snow Leopard Disc. He says the iMac needs the Discs that came with it.
Well It's at the Repair Shop now. Hopefully they know what their doing! I brought it in early, because silly me was feeling Lucky last night & went ahead & did the 10.6.3 Update. It restarted after the Update fine. But then I was feeling frisky & thought, maybe the Update fixed it. Well guess what? It never booted up again. So much for felling Lucky.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Technician has been testing HD on a loop for like 5 Hours. No Errors. He should have Started with the Logic Board, that is what the Senior Tech suspected through our troubleshooting on the phone.. But let him test it all. That's what I want. Also, Apple is sending me new Install Discs in a few days.

I rehooked up my old trusty, tiny & reliable Mac Mini & I'm blasting the new Slash album through my Yamaha MS10's. I have a renowned Respect for my little Mac Mini. I guess you could say it is one hell of a little computer. I do miss that iMac 27" Display though! Smile I'm using my 19" Samsung Matte Finish. I kinda' like the Matte finish.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit, Yes Startup Chime most of the time. I've tried booting it so many times I got different scenarios.
1. Chime, Apple, Swirly Gear Loads & Freezes = Frozen
2. Chime, Apple, Blue Screen loads Swirly Gear, Then Repeats this indefinitely until I force Shut Down.
3. No Chime, Apple, Swirly Gear Loads & Freezes = Frozen

You can preach to me any time Bandit! I value your experience, knowledge & Opinion.

I've said it many times, out of any Forum I have ever been a member of, this is by far the best. Reason being, It's Knowledgeable, Patient, Kind & Courteous Members.

As always, Thank you all for your help & sincere concern.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Yes if you could please post either CCC or SuperDuper. Whichever one is Free would be great! Smile It seems i need a better Back Up Plan these days.

Question, if they replace my Logic Board, will they have to Wipe my Hard Drive?
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

super duper above

carbon copy cleaner below

http://www.bombich.com/

I prefer super duper.. you may lose your hdd info.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may try to talk my parts express forum into letting me post. a set of photos on cloning you macs hdd and adding a big external hdd as a music server. owc elite-al. I would show the clone process with superduper and the mods to the elite-al. Also how to set up as a raid or as a jbod.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I use Super Duper, can I save it on the same Drive I use for Time Machine, just a different Folder?
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
If I use Super Duper, can I save it on the same Drive I use for Time Machine, just a different Folder?

I don't have experience with time machine, I'm not sure if it likes to be left alone. That being said SuperDuper and CCC are very small apps. You could download them any time you need them burn them to disk of store them on a memory stick.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I use a USB Drive for Super Duper? Or will the Mac only boot up to Firewire?
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: