123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMac Won't Boot ! Help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit, talked to Apple Senior Tech today & he said because it won't boot off the DVD, it points to the Logic Board & not the Hard Drive. It also now shuts completely down when it goes to Sleep. And yes, it is doing some strange things. I had it with no programs & nothing connected, fresh Erase & Install & it did not Help. I'm going to have to have an Apple Authorized Service Center Repair it, which I'm not too happy about. I just know the'll scratch it up & abuse it. I tried my hardest to get a brand new one but the woman from Customer Relations said, this is a new Problem. Then I proceeded to say but it still has the Slight Color Variation on Screen, but she would not budge. So now I'm at the mercy of getting my first computer ever sent in for Service by an Authorized Service Center. Even with the Upgrade I was given, I still feel like I this should have never happened.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: I have finally hooked up an External to use for Time Machine. The Tech told me in case they had to wipe the drive, I could get all my Programs & Settings back by booting to SL Disc going to Utilities>Select Drive Time Machine>Restore. Will that REALLY give me back all my Programs & Preference Settings? If that is the case, then why do you guys use Super Duper & Carbon Copy?
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
If that is the case, then why do you guys use Super Duper & Carbon Copy?

Mainly because a SD or CC clone on your external is immediately bootable, absolutely no downtime should your primary internal boot drive suddenly go south on you.
Secondly because, having redundant backups is a good thing, more is better.
With more then one partition on an external drive, you can have both Time Machine and a bootable clone.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb wrote:
Dino1956 wrote:
If that is the case, then why do you guys use Super Duper & Carbon Copy?

Mainly because a SD or CC clone on your external is immediately bootable, absolutely no downtime should your primary internal boot drive suddenly go south on you.
Secondly because, having redundant backups is a good thing, more is better.
With more then one partition on an external drive, you can have both Time Machine and a bootable clone.

One other thing is that it makes for easy troubleshooting and flexibility. You can move the bootable drive to any Mac and boot off of it. It makes it easy to determine if you are having a hardware of software issue.

Each partition or drive can be set up differently. You can have a partition set up as Leopard another as Tiger etc.

I also like the fact that I can back-up when I feel like it. Time Machine isn't hogging resources. I think TM is flexible, but still I like the manual method.

I don't think serial numbers etc are and issue with a clone drive. They may be with TM. Again, I'm not sure.

jb hit the nail on the head with the instant bootable part. It's not just the data I want to back-up it's the entire system, I want immediate access to.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clone with super duper the drive can be walked from computer to computer. the 2 minis and the 1 imac.

I have 1 clone of each computer so that is 3 drives extra. I have a master set of clones in my bank's safety deposit bank. so that is 6 clones. I have 2 for my wife's stuff so that makes 8 clones. most on the oem 2.5 inch hdd's pulled from the mini's I have modded.

I have 10000 photos 15000 songs and some video to hdd tape on them they can't be replaced.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like I may want to do that after this ordeal. So if for some reason my iMac doesn't boot, I could boot to the clone & use my computer as usual, except it would be running off the External Drive.

For now, I went ahead & installed all my stuff on here & have Time Machine backing up. So when I bring the iMac in for Repair, I will back up with Time Machine before it leaves here. This way, if they have to replace or Wipe the Hard Drive, I could plug Time Machine Drive back in, Startup with SL Disc, Go To Disc Utility & Restore My iMac to an hour before I brought it in.
Sound Like A Plan?
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
It sounds like I may want to do that after this ordeal. So if for some reason my iMac doesn't boot, I could boot to the clone & use my computer as usual, except it would be running off the External Drive.

Exactly. You wouldn't know the difference (except maybe a bit of speed).
This is exactly what my buddy with a defective hard drive in his Macbook is doing right now.

Dino1956 wrote:
For now, I went ahead & installed all my stuff on here

on where? Not sure what you mean.

If your internal drive is working right now... this is what I would do. I would partition the external drive. I'd clone the internal onto one partition of the external drive. On the other partition, I would back up the data real time to with Time Machine. This way if your computer craps out you have a real time back-up.

If you have issues restoring the Time Machine backup (should Apple wipe your hard) you can always transfer the cloned partition back over to the iMac's internal hard drive.

Why not have a back-up plan? Just in case.

p.s. Dino, you're at 996 posts. Hopefully #1000 is a happy post!!! Smile
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit, I can't see my 1000th Post being great news, unless Apple changes their mind & swaps me out for a brand new iMac. Smile

OK, your Method is probably better but much more Complex.

Time Machine has a Feature, that you can Restore all your Programs & Settings back to the way you had them at any particular Date. But you have to boot up to the SL Disc & use Disc Utilities. So I can get all the programs back plus my Preferences & Setting by Restoring to Time Machine.

So I'll do a Backup before I bring it in for Repair. Then if they Wipe the Drive or put in a new one, I just plug in my Time Machine Drive, Grab My SL Disc & get all my Programs & Settings Back. This is a Feature I had no idea that Time Machine could do for me. Had I known, I would have kept Time Machine in the first place. I guess you could call this a Migration in a way. Either way, I won't have to reinstall all my Programs. Saves a lot of time & grief. I hope you understand & I'm explaining this right. Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, Just to add. I never use my Internal Hard Drive for anything but Programs. I save nothing to the Internal. So out of my 1TB Internal Hard Drive, I'm using no more than 20 Gigs. A waste of Space, Yes! But I have my Media, Photos, Video & Music backed up to several External Hard Drives that never get even Plugged in. So although my Back Up Plan, is Cave Man Like, Smile, it has always worked for me.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, So as long as I don't put the iMac to Sleep, it still runs like a champ, so I can hopefully finish a large Video editing project I have. I just have Screen set to Sleep. That's how I ran my Mac Mini all the time & I'd Power it Down at Night. Whatever Works, you know!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically your saying although it shouldn't freeze while booting off Disc if it were a HD problem, it still can be a HD Problem. According to Apple, there Disc Verification is thorough in Testing your HD. Of course, I have my doubts. The reason they gave me for having those Corrupt Files, was because I was forcing it over & over to boot by using the Power Button. It only reported corrupt files that one time & once I erased the Disc, I never received another bad report.

So I have an appointment on Monday to the AASP. Spoke to the Apple Tech & he said, the entire process in fixing is usually only 2 days, since Apple overnights the Parts to them. We shall see.

I told you my 1000th Post would not be good.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
I told you my 1000th Post would not be good.

Congrats on 1000 posts!!! Party! Party! I would expect nothing less of your 1000th post Dino. Wink Smile

Oh well at least your machine is going to get fixed for free. Probably best to just wait and see what the issue is, then look back at the symptoms and make sense of it all.

Have a good weekend.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My iMac has been crashing a lot in the last week or so. Since I updated to 10.6.3 and also added a few app updates and installed TextExpander.

The crash is really weird, no notification to say there is a problem it just locks up although the mouse still moves around ok. when it locks up I can't click on anything or close any apps and the only way to recover is to power it down. Sad

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher, strange enough because I did not NOTICE my problem until after applying the Update. But I hadn't Powered my iMac Up or down in days before the Update. So It was probably just a coincidence in my case. You know me! Just something else to make the Troubleshooting that much harder. Smile But there are quite a few people experiencing hangs after update. Did you try doing the Combo update over your already 10.6.3 update? There are people on Apple Discussion Forum experiencing strange stuff since update. I thought I was one of them, until I did my first Erase & Install & still had the issue. But It definitely is not the case, so the Title of this thread is misleading & now in the wrong section of this forum. Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I haven't, I thought the problem had gone when I uninstalled my printer which I'd noticed from the logs had crashed just prior to my last system hang. then I went two days without a crash so assumed I've got the culprit.

I'm going to do an erase and install back to 10.6.2 and see how I go. If it's crash free after a week I'll reapply 10.6.3 and see what happens.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: