123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMac Won't Boot ! Help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I definitely need some help! Now when I Verify Disk it's giving me "Invalid Volume Directory", "Hard Drive Was Found To Be Corrupt" but it won't Repair from the Disc. It says it's Reppaired but once I go back out of the Disc & Reboot, the Errors are Still there. I tried to put do an Erase & Install but when I go to Disc Utility, It gets Stucks in the Middle of Unmounting & Freezes. Please Tell Me What's Going On. Is my HD fried? And just to Boot to the Disc, it takes me 20 tries.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Phil but it looks like my Hard Drive as Bandit Suggested is the Problem. I can't do an Erase & Install even. It gets Frozen when I try to Erase in Disk Utility while Unmounting. I'm going Crazy Here. Please forgive the Gibberish.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
dino I could mail an imac boot osx on a usb drive just a 10.6.2 right from a fresh install. I can also mail the 4 ram sticks . lets you test your system. with good ram with a good install.. if it does not work you most likely have a weird mb/logic board issue. you can send it back after testing.

Very generous offer Phil. It's gestures like this and members like yourself that make this forum awesome.

Good suggestion on the target disk mode jb. I personally have not done this myself.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like bring it in to repair.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
OK. I definitely need some help! Now when I Verify Disk it's giving me "Invalid Volume Directory", "Hard Drive Was Found To Be Corrupt" but it won't Repair from the Disc. It says it's Reppaired but once I go back out of the Disc & Reboot, the Errors are Still there. I tried to put do an Erase & Install but when I go to Disc Utility, It gets Stucks in the Middle of Unmounting & Freezes. Please Tell Me What's Going On. Is my HD fried? And just to Boot to the Disc, it takes me 20 tries.

I had a similar issue on my MacBook. It came up Invalid File Count. I used Disk Warrior to repair it. Typically, Disk Utility won't repair an invalid file count or a faulty volume directory. I have sort of followed this thread and hesitated to recommend Disk Warrior as it costs right at $100.00. But, if you have a copy, I believe you would be in business. You would, of course, need to boot from the Disk Warrior disc or an external. In my case, I had a copy. I can't really remember why I bought it. But, it did save me as I have described and turned out to be money well spent. At the point you are at, I can't say that I would recommend buying it; but, if you already have it you may want to give it a try.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuentecigar wrote:
Dino1956 wrote:

I had a similar issue on my MacBook. It came up Invalid File Count. I used Disk Warrior to repair it. Typically, Disk Utility won't repair an invalid file count or a faulty volume directory. I have sort of followed this thread and hesitated to recommend Disk Warrior as it costs right at $100.00. But, if you have a copy, I believe you would be in business. You would, of course, need to boot from the Disk Warrior disc or an external. In my case, I had a copy. I can't really remember why I bought it. But, it did save me as I have described and turned out to be money well spent. At the point you are at, I can't say that I would recommend buying it; but, if you already have it you may want to give it a try.

Agreed... Disk Warrior is one of my most used apps in my tool arsenal.

If I was doing this repair for a friend I'd use the following until the problem was solved.
1. Onyx (general cleaner)
2. MemTest (Memory)
3. DiskWarior (file structure)
4. TechTool Pro (for surface scan)
5. Zero out disk and reinstall.
6.Apple Service Diagnostic "ASD" (Not available to the general public)

6. Send to Apple because I have been defeated.
Twisted Evil
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if they included Disk Warrior in a software bundle. Smile Wishful thinking. I didn't mention it because the machine is under warranty and the drive has already been formatted... thus the data likely wasn't critical. Although every tech should have Disk Warrior, it think it is losing it's appeal more and more everyday for the average consumer. For the cost of Disk warrior you can buy a couple of external drives at today's prices.

Being Dino still has warranty, I assume his next step is to call Apple and have them deal with it.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't agree more about the warranty issue. For most consumers its better to send it in if covered. The price of Disk Warrior is close to Apple Care prices depending on where you buy.

We are pullin for ya Dino! Damn if it ain't one thing or the other. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
The price of Disk Warrior is close to Apple Care prices depending on where you buy.

With DiskWarrior, if it works for you, you will salvage your data, not so in almost every case with an AppleCare warranty job.
Apple will just replace the drive, you can say goodbye to anything that was on it.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The least thing I am worried about losing is Data. I never keep any Important Files on my Internal Hard Drive. They are all on External Hard Drives & I have Backups of Backups.

OK, back to my problem. I was finally able to do an Erase & Install, after Erasing the HD, I lost all Mouse Connectivity. So I had to do a Hard Restart but the Install Started & all was installed fine. It looks, so far, fingers crossed, Like It was my Files on my HD had become Corrupted. Like I said, I was downloading from RapidShare last night. Anyway, I did Verify Disk & All Reported OK so Far. I'll give you the Full Update tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for the Help!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Just got off the Phone with Apple. Tech seems to think as Bandit said. Hardware Issue. Hard Drive. I have no Apple Store for 300 Miles & I told them, I did not trust an Authorized Apple Service Center. I have my reasons. I have a call into the Customer Care person who upgraded me. I'm going to push for a swap out with a new iMac. But it's over the 60 Day period, but Tech seemed to think, because I have gone through 3 iMacs, they may make an exception.

It isn't easy being me!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{edit}
ops !

sorry I didn't notice there was a page 4 and was replying to a post from page 3.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dino have you watched "men who stare at goats" You need to think nice thoughts at that mac!

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: If I can't boot & it freezes off the Snow Leopard DVD until I try with 10 Hard Start (Pressing Power Button), does that confirm it is in fact the Hard Drive? I thought if it were the Hard Drive, it would boot off the DVD with no Problem. So it won't boot normally or off the DVD. Like I said, I can get it to do boot up or boot to DVD after almost a dozen tries.

I don't know a lot I admit it! But for some reason, I think my HD is fine. I have all good verification reports from Disk Utility. Since I did the 1st Erase & Install. No corrupt files. All OK.

I guess I really need a to to test my HD thoroughly.

Men Who Stare at Goats is on top of my DVD Player as I type, Phillip. Smile
Should I put that DVD & play it on a Loop all day in the iMac? Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't freeze while booting off of the Snow Leopard DVD if it is the hard disk. That being said I worked on my buddies MacBook that had a corrupt hard drive and all sorts of funny things happened. Initially when he gave it to me it wouldn't even make it to the start-up chime. After resetting the PRAM/NVRAM it chimed. I reinstalled managed to format the drive and everything appeared to be working properly. No errors from disk utility. After giving it back to him a day later BOOM. The drive is corrupt again and the thing is all locked up again. After replacing the drive he has had no issues for at least 6 months now.

Bottom line. A corrupt hard disk may not appear to be corrupt via Disk Utility and it may end up doing all sorts of strange things to your system.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: