123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMac Won't Boot ! Help!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: iMac Won't Boot ! Help! Reply with quote

OK, so since I got my iMac, most of the time I just let it Sleep at night. Last night, I decided to shut down completely. This morning, it would not Boot Up. I tried PRAM Reset. Repairing Permissions from Snow Leopard Disk. Also Running Onyx. I can most of the time get it to finally Boot Up after a PRAM but then the next time I shout down, it won't Start Up Again. I get the Grey Screen with Apple. And then the Swirly Circle starts going round & then Stops & Freezes. I could leave it there & it just stays on that Screen & won't do nothing else. I unplugged all my Peripherals but that did not help. Disk Utility Reports all OK. I have have even had it Freeze up after a Restart.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it will boot from your SL DVD, but not from the HDD?
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy,
Only Sometimes! And Sometimes with the PRAM. But Sometimes it gets Hung Up again. And when I did Verification from Disc, it got Stuck at the "1 Minute" point & I had to do a Hard Reboot. Then I ran Disc Utility (without Using the Disk), & it went through fine. I also repeated all that & more with Onyx. Thanks!
Dino
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw hell, Dino. I hate intermittent faults. Mad They're the worst to diagnose 'cos it's hard to see a pattern of (bad) behaviour.

As for the PRAM, I was always under the impression that if symptoms persist after resetting it once, then there's not much point in resetting it again. But I could be wrong if that's making the difference between your machine starting and it not starting.

So many system issues would normally point to a major hardware failure (memory, cooling system, logic board)... However, a hardware failure would affect your machine whether you were putting it to sleep on a night or shutting it down. But this doesn't seem to be the case with your iMac...

In the event that you have to re-install SL, is all of your data backed-up???
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here lies the Problem. Yes ALL my Media is on External Drives, but Reinstalling all the Programs & Updates would be a Nightmare. As I don't have Carbon Copy Installed. Here's what really Worries Me! Since the last Update 10.6.3, my Temps went up. But now today after a Fresh Boot they are even Higher. Tell me if I should be Concerned about the following Temps.

I use Fahrenheit, NOT Celsius.

HD: 126
CPU A: 99
GPU Diode: 130
GPU Heatsink: 122
Ambient: 74
Memory Controller: 131
Northbridge: 164

Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like bad RAM. I'd do a complete erase and zero out of my HDD. Then do a fresh reinstall. If you have some file structure problems. a time machine install will carry over those problems. After that if it still persist, back to Apple it goes!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with JohnnyBoy on this one; it sound like a hardware problem. Have you done any recent upgrading?

If you're lucky, this might be the result of bad RAM. Do you have any other RAM on hand to try?
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those temps are fine Dino. I wouldn't worry about that.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, The is the same RAM Apple installed from the Factory. I never upgraded the RAM. 4GB. This is a brand new Late 2009 27" iMac.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea but they did go up after the last Update. And even a bit more today. And I'm just using Safari & Mail. I have a lot of Video Rendering to do in the next 3 Weeks, so I'm a bit Nervous about Heat in the iMac. Question: If I'm rendering Video, I usually stop my iMac from going to Sleep. And in Sys Pref I have "Hard Disc Sleep When Possible", Unchecked. I would think that would be best for Rendering & Burning DVD's. Do you guys do that?
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its frustrating Dino. Sometimes RAM is just bad, even brand new sticks. I'd try running the app MemTest in single user mode. In a x64 machine it can test all the available RAM. In 32bit it can only test 2GB at a time. I run it for 4-5 hours if I think there is a RAM issue. If not I'd go with the mega-fustrating route I mentioned earlier. Crying or Very sad
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In System Profiler, it lists at the RAM being OK. My gut feeling tells me it could be something in Snow Leopard or the new Update. Probably Reinstalling a Clean "Erase & Install" of Snow Leopard might do the trick. But what a Nightmare. I use about 30 Programs, that need to be reinstalled. Ugh!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Time Machine backup, you could do a format and clean install from your SL install DVD, then use migration assistant to bring over your apps and settings.
This would save a lot of hassle.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea IF I had Time Machine Set Up. Thanks anyway. I guess I should have time machine Set Up. That would be an Advantage I could Use at times like these. I don't really NEED to Time Machine because I have Backups on DVD's & Hard Drives of ANYTHING Important. My important Files are Media & I have that backed up 3 & 4 times.

BTW, I just got it to Start Up with No Freeze. Maybe Snow Leopard will be smart enough to work whatever is wrong out. Wishful Thinking? Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I think I may have stumbled upon the Problem.
Disc Utility Reports under Remote Management, ARDAgent has been Modified & Cannot Be REpaired. Through Google, I found the ARDAgent is a Security Hole. So It could be a Virus.

Here is what it says to do From Macworld:

So that’s the bad news. There are some glimmers of good news in the gloom, though. First, it’s relatively easy to protect yourself from this security hole. The major security product vendors have updated (or will soon update) their code to patch this particular hole (and any known malware that takes advantage of it), so if you use such a product, make sure you update your virus definitions.

If you don’t use an anti-virus program, there’s a relatively simple method to temporarily plug this hole all on your own. (But please have a current backup before proceeding). Navigate to /System -> Library -> CoreServices -> RemoteManagement, and Control-click on ARDAgent. In the contextual menu that appears, select Compress ARDAgent (in 10.5; in 10.4, I believe it will say Create Archive of ARDAgent). This will create a zip file of ARDAgent on your Desktop (as you don’t have rights to modify the original folder).

Next, drag ARDAgent to the trash can, provide your admin password when asked, then empty the trash. Finally, drag the zipped version of ARDAgent into the RemoteManagement folder, again providing your password when asked. (This last bit is optional; you can keep the file wherever you like, but I find it easier to store it where I know it belongs.)

When Apple releases a security update to patch this hole, expand the zip archive before running Software Update—so that Software Update will find the full application to patch. Note that this solution will prevent anyone from using Apple Remote Desktop to control your Mac. If you’re in such an environment where someone needs access to Apple Remote Desktop—say, in a business or in a school—you’ll need to speak to your administrators about their preferred solution to this problem.

Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: