123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPad slooooooooooow Internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: iPad slooooooooooow Internet Reply with quote

So slow it's painful I am using one now. This site isn't bad compared to every site on the net. At least ten times slower than dial up using dsl and wifi from my mini.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a blazer. Laughing

Websites that are light on Javascript and Flash do much better though. Wireless is also much stronger with an 802.11n-based router.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
It's not a blazer. Laughing

Websites that are light on Javascript and Flash do much better though. Wireless is also much stronger with an 802.11n-based router.

I'm using shared internet connection on my early 09 mac mini. I believe that is a "n" based network. Could I do better? Heck I tried it 3 foot from it and it made no difference. Also when I got the full wifi signal it was just as slow as when I got two bars.
theGimpiest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Finkle wrote:
I'm using shared internet connection on my early 09 mac mini. I believe that is a "n" based network. Could I do better? Heck I tried it 3 foot from it and it made no difference. Also when I got the full wifi signal it was just as slow as when I got two bars.

Sounds like you may have IPv6 switched on. This slows down WiFi in most cases.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theGimpiest wrote:
Ray Finkle wrote:

Sounds like you may have IPv6 switched on. This slows down WiFi in most cases.

I just went into network settings and this set to automatic. Should I switch it to off and give it a try?
theGimpiest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Finkle wrote:
I just went into network settings and this set to automatic. Should I switch it to off and give it a try?

Yes. I was only getting about 35Mb/s until I turned it off. Now my 802.11g is back up to normal.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theGimpiest wrote:
Ray Finkle wrote:

Yes. I was only getting about 35Mb/s until I turned it off. Now my 802.11g is back up to normal.

I done it seems a little better thanks. Are there any other tricks to speed it up? Mine may just have a bad wifi connection. I don't know.
theGimpiest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the only one I know of Smile
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weird thing is after a page is loaded video seems to load just as fast or faster than a website, like photos and such. It takes longer to load say youtubes website than it does for a video on youtube to load on the same website. The ebay app seems to be the only one that works well for me they done a great job with that, and cbs is stellar. Still worse than dial up speeds but not streaming vids just getting there if that makes sense. Sometimes it will say server stopped responding. Its a tough one to explain I talked with an apple tech tonight, and did about everything. Just reinstalled the os don't see any speed improvements yet. Nothing that would make me really see a difference.
theGimpiest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try a google search for that problem? Maybe someone else is also experiencing it and has a solution on another site.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I tried changing the channel from manuel to channel 1 that hasn't seemed to do much either. I just switched the airport/ethernet/MTU from manuel to custom 1452 gonna see how that goes. I guess these early 09 minis are notorious for bad wifi problems in the apple discussion boards from my searching. Most those folks are trying to connect their mini to a router though. Still makes me think it could be the mini but I do have a nintendo wii that is connected and it works fine but it's known for real slow internet surfing as well, but Its faster and more reliable. I also tried using a new network it seemed slightly better but not enough. Just incase I was getting to much interference from those other devices. Also I would like to add I am getting a strong wifi signal on my ipad.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting a replacement let you all know if it works out.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my replacement super slow net. This stinks i want to like this but this is crazy slow and my time invested in this is far to much. I may need to buy a router maybe the Mac minis built in airport extreme is junk. Works fine for other stuff though. If buying a new router didn't work I would be furious. Typing on the pad now. This site like I said is descent on it. It takes longer to use google search than it does to load a video. Never experienced that kind of web surfing by far the worst net experience I have encountered. If it was fast as my mini it could be the best. It's cool having it in your hand but when it's slower than dial up for web pages to load it really takes the fun out it.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok finally tried a different router my airport express. More speed for sure tons more speed still not as fast as my desktop but it sure is better than it was. I have to go without AirTunes now and i am sure my desktop will take a hit but at least I found the problem. Again like the poster above said not a blazer but much much much better than I had going on. The range is way better as well. Now I don't know whether to get another express or go extreme. I will give it some time i got to see if this speed is adequate for now. Anything seems lightning fast compared to the minis airport. I heard the pad likes 5 ghz range not sure if its on that so i may poke around with some settings.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, i ended up buying the airport extreme. I wouldn't say it's any faster or has better range. In fact I think the express for some reason could be better in my home its also smaller which is nice. I do like the extra features of the extreme
But that's it. I noticed no speed increase in net browsing or downloads when using the hyped 5ghz range. Notta if anything it's worse. Now that I am totally wireless other things are neat. Well hopefully apple updates the safari browser for more speeds and tweaks the wifi a bit. I am getting strong signals, full spectrum. Maybe I just expect deskstop performance from this browser. Anyways it's a very fun machine and I will keep it. Just had to spend an extra fortune to get the browser up to dial up speeds can be frustrating. Downloading is a different story it's descent and streaming is as well where you can that is. Hoping for an update soon for the browser and wifi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: