123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh what a feeling, Toyota!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Oh what a feeling, Toyota! Reply with quote

Any of you guys affected by the Toyota recalls? I was watching TV tonight and they keep running this ad about being sorry and needing to do better. It's pretty sad. I'm glad our new car is a Cadillac. I always try to buy American for the extra reliability. Wink Laughing
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never owned a Yota, probably never will. Even as a Ford owner I think a lot of what is going on is the Government striking out a Toyota, or at least it seems. I hope there isn't any validity to it, but with the Government having bailed out GM and Chrysler it does make you wonder.

I hope your Cadi was better then our Catera... and the "bend over and pay up" attitude from the local Cadi place.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother had two Toyotas.

The first was a early 70s Hilux pickup, that she picked up used. It was a source of constant sorrow. The second was like a 79 Celica GT. The Celica was good most of the time. I remember that there was one recall on it for the exhaust manifold. Even the replacement manifolds didn't last as long as the original, and she was having them replaced just about every six months. Should of gone with some nice tri-y headers. Wink

Toyota has also fought these problems for the last five years, constantly claiming driver error. The can apologize all they want for all I care, but they avoided any responsibility for these problems as long as they could. Just like pretty much every other car company would do.

As for the government going to bat for GM and Chrysler - I don't care what happens to Toyota, I'm never buying a GM! And Chrysler only has a slim chance since they gave up intelligent engineering for these butt ugly boxes I see all over the place with crap suspensions.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I'm never buying a GM! And Chrysler only has a slim chance since they gave up intelligent engineering for these butt ugly boxes I see all over the place with crap suspensions.

LMAO I couldn't agree more about the Chrysler line up.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of upgrading my car this year, but as its a Toyota I'm expecting resale values to have been badly effected.

I'll probably end up keeping hold of it now Sad

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all of this is getting blown out of proportion. Sucks that people have died, so I'm not going to downplay that part.

*hit happens. At least it's being dealt with.

It's funny because FORD is running ads that claim they are equally are reliable as Toyota and Honda. This is a bit of a spin from saying they are simply better than GM and Chrysler.

I bet they wished that this event had happened prior to making those commercials.

Personally I'm a bit disappointed with my '09 GMC Sierra. Hopefully I can get all of the bugs worked out before the warranty expires. With less than 12,000 miles on it, I have had they transmission pulled twice. They seem to have fixed the initial. Now that that has quieted down I'm hearing other issues. Rolling Eyes
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
It's funny because FORD is running ads that claim they are equally are reliable as Toyota and Honda.

Not really what people would want to hear at the moment "We're just as reliable as an unreliable Toyota" Razz

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I saw a J.D. Power Quality breakdown, Ford was above Nissan, and Nissan was above all of the GM divisions. And that was when Nissan was going downhill fast.

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Oh what a feeling, Toyota! Reply with quote

devo wrote:
.....I'm glad our new car is a Cadillac. I always try to buy American for the extra reliability. Wink Laughing

Wha Wha WHAT! You mean to tell me you didn't buy a Lincoln MKZ? Or the all new Taurus SHO? Shame, shame Devo, shame, shame.

Wink Wink Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MrBabou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm going to get bashed for this, but...

I can't say for a more distant future (because we never know what may change), but at present time, I would never buy a car from an american company (i.e., GM, Ford, Chrystler...). Their guarantees have often been shorter than the japanese ones - there's a reason for that. Of all the car talks I had with people, almost every time someone talked about problems they had or have with their cars, it's an american car. When I see a parked car on the side of the highway, it's an american car. I've been very happy with Toyota in the past, and still am.

Of course, that's for my needs. If I needed a pickup truck (I've never seen a pickup truck on the side of the road), it probably would be of an american brand, because they're best for those. If I could afford a luxurious car, I'm not sure what it could be, so it could very well be an american car.

I must admit though that Ford seem to have gone to extra length for their latest family cars. I'm keeping my eyes on them, mostly since I won't be purchasing a new car for many years. By that time, we'll see.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason why I won't buy an new car, when I can buy one, is OBD III.

I don't need a spy in my car.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Another reason why I won't buy an new car, when I can buy one, is OBD III.

I don't need a spy in my car.

SC

I don't think you need to worry

1) It's still not in use
2) there are Constitutional issues with "Mass Surveilance"
3) it's intention is towards emmisions failures, not driving habits, etc.

Check it out: Have you heard about OBD-III

I would only buy a Ford, not because I work for a Ford Dealer as I have been a loyal Ford buyer my entire life. I like the company's philosophy and the fact that some of the original "Fords" still work and direct the company. It's also refreshing that they took no government money, and are eagerly working on 'greener' cars. Shoot the new Mustang Shelby GT 500 no longer wears the "Gas Guzzler" tax! Now, that's saying something!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Oh what a feeling, Toyota! Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
I hope your Cadi was better then our Catera... and the "bend over and pay up" attitude from the local Cadi place.

It's early, but I hope not. I've read the Catera and earlier CTS models were plagued with problems though. Did you have a lot of issues or something?

MrBabou wrote:
I must admit though that Ford seem to have gone to extra length for their latest family cars. I'm keeping my eyes on them, mostly since I won't be purchasing a new car for many years. By that time, we'll see

You just made Hackers a really happy man.

I hear what you are saying. You just gotta buy what makes you feel comfortable. I don't blame people for buying foreign cars. They've had a better track record since the 70s. That being said, American cars are doing much better these days. I also think the new stuff coming out of GM and Ford looks better than ever. Personally, I think Honda and Toyota gave up on styling a couple years ago. It seems like they aren't taking any risks in that department.

hackersmovie wrote:
Wha Wha WHAT! You mean to tell me you didn't buy a Lincoln MKZ? Or the all new Taurus SHO? Shame, shame Devo, shame, shame.

Wink Wink Wink

No, we got a newer used CTS. It's an awesome car, but it really wasn't my decision man. I just pay the bills around this place. Laughing

How is the Taurus selling? I bet you've gotten a big bump in sales since the beginning of this Toyota fiasco.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
I would only buy a Ford, not because I work for a Ford Dealer as I have been a loyal Ford buyer my entire life. I like the company's philosophy and the fact that some of the original "Fords" still work and direct the company. It's also refreshing that they took no government money, and are eagerly working on 'greener' cars. Shoot the new Mustang Shelby GT 500 no longer wears the "Gas Guzzler" tax! Now, that's saying something!

I won't buy a new Ford even though I've been a life long Ford guy. I'll consider something that used B or C parts, and maybe make it more interesting by putting some F parts in it. Wink

I had some problems with the dealership I was taking the Mark to for service, and I contacted the top level customer service people at Ford and Lincoln. I informed them of the problems. A few months later I called back and asked about the issues. I was told that the customer will not be notified of the results of the investigation by Ford. Shocked

Then there is Ford trying to stop the car clubs that put any pictures of FoMoCo cars in any sort of sales items like calendars. After a pretty big campaign from the enthusiast, Ford backed off. There is the similar issue where Ford decided to go after any company that had Ford in it's name, that dealt in Ford parts. FordSix - Now Classic Inlines.

Then there is the great bit about Ford trying to kill Blue Oval News.

Yeah, I used to bleed Ford Blue, but not anymore. I'm still hopeful that Ford will dominate the domestic market, but I will never buy a new Ford.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Oh what a feeling, Toyota! Reply with quote

devo wrote:
It's early, but I hope not. I've read the Catera and earlier CTS models were plagued with problems though. Did you have a lot of issues or something?

We did sadly. Early on had radiator leaking issues, which was common. Got it fixed the first time under warranty no big deal, second time they fought me and I came unglued. Had some other issues, but nothing major but felt like every time I turned around something needed to be fixed. Had the low profile tires, and they wouldn't last. Then went through two sets of brake pads within 18 months. The car only had some 20,000 miles on it, the first 3,000 were from my mother before she passed. The final straw was it developed transmission issues. The problem was that the Catera was made by Opel and because it didn't sell that well many of the dealers didn't keep the necessary repair equipment, so I was told I'd need to take it about 4 hours away for service and it wasn't going to be cheap. So it traded it off and bought a Ford Edge. I've heard much better things about the newer CTS, dealer did try to get me into one of those, but after the Catara experiment I decided to pull a Nancy Regan and "Just Say No" Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: