123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few questions about re-installing the OS on my mini.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stabstone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: A few questions about re-installing the OS on my mini. Reply with quote

My now ex-girlfriend had installed a key logger on my mini and still refuses to give up the password for it. So doing some googling I come to the fact that my only choice is to re-install the OS on my mac mini.

1. On a PC I know there is a way to make music as a "data" format so it takes up less space, is there a way to do that on a Mac? Otherwise I guess I will just transfer all my music via iPods.

2. Do I need to use the disc that came with the mac mini or can I just re-install Snow leopard and would that be good enough?

3. Any tips on how to keep old stuff (downloaded software, widgets, etc) would also be helpful.

Sorry if these seem like noob questions but I have never had to do this before.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, interesting ex. You might look at doing a clean install of the system and perhaps you may avoid the headache of having to move all of your data off. You will still need to reinstall anything that resides in your system folder. I am 'assuming' the key logger resides there, but thank goodness I don't have any experience. Do you know what the name of this program is so others might suggest alternatives?
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can start downloading all the stuff that you have downloaded already. I'm not sure what you mean by archiving your music as "data." I would just copy it over to DVDs, although the iPods might be better.

Whatever you decide to do, set up the first account as a system admin, and then keep that password to yourself. Then create an account for you that is not an Admin account.

Also, I'm thinking you will lose iLife, unless you back those apps up.

I didn't even know there were key loggers for OS X...

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Stabstone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I go about doing a clean install?
Voyager

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: A few questions about re-installing the OS on my mini. Reply with quote

Stabstone wrote:
My now ex-girlfriend had installed a key logger on my mini and still refuses to give up the password for it. So doing some googling I come to the fact that my only choice is to re-install the OS on my mac mini.

Why not just remove it? You should see it running in Activity Monitor.

Or is the password you don't have for the admin account on your computer? In which case you'll want to be fixing that anyway.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stabstone wrote:
How do I go about doing a clean install?

When you boot from the install disc, tell it to format the drive. Everything on the drive will be gone, and you can do a clean install.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Stabstone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: A few questions about re-installing the OS on my mini. Reply with quote

Voyager wrote:
Stabstone wrote:

Why not just remove it? You should see it running in Activity Monitor.

Or is the password you don't have for the admin account on your computer? In which case you'll want to be fixing that anyway.

She knew the password thats needed to install software, as for the password itself that opens the key logger I have no idea what that is. I have looked in the activity monitor and can't really tell what it is. Any tips on spotting it?
Voyager

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: A few questions about re-installing the OS on my mini. Reply with quote

Stabstone wrote:
She knew the password thats needed to install software, as for the password itself that opens the key logger I have no idea what that is. I have looked in the activity monitor and can't really tell what it is. Any tips on spotting it?

No real point - without the root (admin) password you'll only end up reinstalling the OS at some point anyway.

Bite the bullet, make sure you have saved your work, check you have access to whatever applications you want, internet and mail settings and start the clean install - and pay attention to what the computer asks about creating a password when you start it up!

Good luck!
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Smithcraft, set up an admin account with a password only YOU know, then set up standard accounts for yourself, your *new* girlfriend or wife or significant other. Then if they get mad and give you the boot, you can always get back in to your admin account and DELETE them!
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: