123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Camino 2.0 Released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Camino 2.0 Released Reply with quote

Camino 2.0 Released
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

The Camino Project today announced the release of Camino 2.0, a major update to their web browser for Mac users. This release includes a number of new features and enhancements, including rearranging tabs by drag-and-drop, a new Tab Overview feature, phishing and malware protection, full content zoom, Growl notifications for downloads, improved support for Full Keyboard Access in the browser window, and displays web content using Mozilla's Gecko 1.9 rendering engine. The complete log of new features and bug fixes can be found over here if you're interested in learning more. Camino 2.0 weighs in at 15.8MB and requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1382.html
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't feel very fast to me.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Camino back a couple years ago when Safari was less stable, but I just don't find it to be a compelling browser anymore. The performance really isn't there either when you compare it to the current versions of Safari, Firefox and Chrome.
jthawke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Still my favorite Reply with quote

I agree that for many pages, Safari appears to load faster, but it seems less stable to me. I've been running betas of Camino 2 for six or eight months and it's crashed on me twice.

It does seem to have some inconsistencies in saved passwords, etc. but the overall look and feel seem more "Mac" like to me, even more than Safari which I think it just so ugly that every time I want to "give it another chance" I end up quitting it after a few hours.

I am hoping to like Chrome when it's finally done but it's not even halfway in my book.

Again, my POV. Very Happy
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree jthawke. Camino has treated me well over the years. It's also better on older Macs than some of the others.
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded it yesterday and have been test driving it. Not bad.
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of Camino's 'pluses' is that there is a feature that works much the same as Adblock Plus. AFAIK Safari only blocks pop-up windows.

If there is a feature in Safari that blocks web advertising I'd like to hear about it.

TIA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: