123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One Thing At A Time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: One Thing At A Time Reply with quote

Since I don't own a smart phone I don't know what they can do or how they operate. I've read that the iPhone OS can only run one application at a time. Some people have speculated that the next version of the OS will allow multitasking. This would carry over to the iPad (the product that interests me).

I thought of a feature that would be beneficial to iPad users if there will not be a way to multitask on it. Maybe this feature already exists. I don't know.

If the iPad is fast and switches between apps quickly will a multitasking capability be necessary in all situations?

I sent a message to Apple about a feature request. It was for them to make all applications have an additional button beside the close program button. That new button would be the remember button. It would cause browsers to close the current page and reopen the same page upon the next time the program was opened.

I proposed that such a button be made for all applications. If that were the case, users could switch between apps and go back and forth without needing to reconfigure their apps or retype internet addresses. Essentially it would be a slightly slower version of using Expose.

Wouldn't that alleviate most of the needs for multitasking? Surely it wouldn't allow streaming radio to work constantly while doing other things. It wouldn't fix the problem of not being able to do something else while downloading a video.

There are probably plenty of workarounds to make the iPhone more capable right now. Developers will take the iPad even further.

There is a report at one of the Apple reporting sites (I can't find the story quickly) that says the SDK allows ways to get more applications running at the same time.

After watching the video on this page I learned that I'm using the wrong terminology about multitasking.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/02/18/inside_apples_ipad_multitasking.html

The man in the video also said that the applications opened and closed quickly and he didn't feel the need to have multiple applications running to do simple copying and pasting. His explanation of how the security works on the iPhone OS makes me think having multiple applications open at once isn't necessarily a good thing.

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: iPhone OS 4.0 Fixed Some Shortcomings Reply with quote

Now that iPhone OS 4.0 has been announced with all of its new features, it seems the iPad is closer than ever to taking the spot of home computer away from laptops and desktops.

We'll see how it goes this fall when it is released.

I'm really glad I didn't order one at the release date. It has given me time to learn of its capabilities. I won't be waiting until the next version comes out but I will now wait for the fall edition that ships with the 4.0 software.

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: