123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accessories and stuff for older macs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleBigGuy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Accessories and stuff for older macs Reply with quote

Hi all.

I found an old (1994 era) mac notebook in my local thrift shop and I was wondering if there is a website where one can find parts, accessories, and stuff for older macs. The notebook didn't have a power supply, but otherwise appeared to be intact.

If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it.

Oh, by the way, I know about ebay. I don't like ebay but if that is the only source I guess I'll have to look there.

LittleBigGuy
Ranter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys seem to be one of the biggest players in the used Mac arena.
I see their ads on many Mac-related sites, but I have no experience dealing with them.

http://www.powermax.com/

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PB Fixit is another parts dealer. What model is it?
iLife's a Bitch!
LittleBigGuy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi g5g5 and Ranter.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try those links.

The unit is a powerbook 520c. I had decided that I was not going to buy it when I found it the other day, but after I wrote my message I decided to check back and found it still there so I bought it.

I checked it out on apple-history.com. It was the first powerbook to have a dual scan color screen (640x480 resolution). It's old, but it's a mac. It originally sold for $2900. I paid $24.99 so if it turns out not to work I still come out ahead of the game. Perhaps someone would have one for sale that works but the case is messed up. Or if the monitor works but not the computer itself I could always find a way to adapt the screen for my mini (I remember an article about a guy who mounted his mini inside the case from a Macintosh SE. Or, I could just leave it lying around and let people think that I know what I'm doing. Wink
cinemafia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come check out the forum I help admin, the 68k Macintosh Liberation Army, if you need any help with it! We've got a ton of people who are quite literally obsessed with pre-PPC Macs ready to yak it up.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cinemafia wrote:
Come check out the forum I help admin, the 68k Macintosh Liberation Army, if you need any help with it! We've got a ton of people who are quite literally obsessed with pre-PPC Macs ready to yak it up.

I second this! There is a great group of people over there and they also have a trading post where you can but sell or trade all your Mac goodies! Also Cine and I have a fair amount of old Mac knowledge that we would be happy to share! Well I would anyway!!! Didn't mean to speak for ya Cine !
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LittleBigGuy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cinemafia and LouieMacGoo.

Thanks for the invite. I'll check it out.

I googled the powerbook 520c and found a place called pchub.com where I was able to order a power supply. Once I have that I'll know better what I need to do, replace, repair or whatever. I have a question about software availability but I suppose that is addressed on 68kmla.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: