123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Aperture 3 [U]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Apple Releases Aperture 3 [U] Reply with quote

Apple Releases Aperture 3
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today introduced Aperture 3, the next major release of its photo editing and management software, with over 200 new features including Faces, Places and Brushes. According to the company, Aperture 3 makes it even easier and faster to organize large photo libraries by building on the Faces and Places features introduced in iPhoto '09. It also introduces new tools to refine your photos including Brushes for painting image adjustments onto parts of your photo, and Adjustment Presets for applying professional photo effects with just one click. The software also makes it easy to share your work with slideshows that weave together photos, audio, text and HD video.

"Millions of people love using iPhoto to organize, edit and share their digital photos," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Aperture 3 is designed for both professionals who edit and manage massive libraries of photos and iPhoto users who want to take their photos further with easy-to-use tools such as Brushes and Adjustment Presets."

Aperture 3 is available now through the Apple Store for $199. Existing Aperture users can upgrade for $99. A downloadable 30-day trial version is also available here. It should also be noted that Aperture 3 runs as a 64-bit application on Macs with Intel Core 2 Duo processors running Snow Leopard.

[Update:] Well, that didn't take long. There's already an update in Software Update for Aperture 3 users. It's called Aperture SlideShow Support Update 1.0 and it looks to address an issue affecting the playback of video clips used in slideshows with Snow Leopard.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1441.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:03 pm; edited 6 times in total
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited about this. I'm not an Aperture user but I work with Lightroom. I'm hoping this will push Lightroom 3 out faster.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
I'm excited about this. I'm not an Aperture user but I work with Lightroom. I'm hoping this will push Lightroom 3 out faster.

It might also help with pricing. Don't the full and upgrade versions of Lightroom cost way more than Aperture 3 now? I'm more inclined to buy Aperture at this point coming in empty handed. I'm definitely going to give the trial version a spin.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Lightroom is $299 compared to Aperture at $199. Upgrades on both are $99.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to read more, but I'm pretty excited about upgrading. I know having the ability to sync and merge libraries has me excited for sure. Places also looks awesome in comparison to iPhoto. And the full-screen browser looks awesome!
jrt1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, but I was hoping for new MacBook Pros today. Sad
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's already an update called Aperture SlideShow Support Update 1.0 in Software Update for users.
somefreak90

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it compare with Photoshop?
khisayruou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its about time! Can't wait to see the new features in action, glad to see the brushes finally come about.

somefreak90: For true image editing/creation/manipulation photoshop wins, aperture is more for photo editing and really helps out with the work flow. Any serious photographer will want both.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somefreak90 wrote:
How does it compare with Photoshop?

They're pretty different. Aperture compares more to Adobe's Lightroom. ...yet, both, Aperture and PhotoShop do some similar things. Since you mentioned PhotoShop, I'm assuming you're looking for a way to edit photos? Aperture is good at retouching images, but it's more of a tool to manage large amount of photos in, and it provides ways to present that large amount of photos in a user friendly interface. Think of Aperture as a database for photos that's capable of editing to improve images.

PhotoShop on the other hand, can cost close to $1000 (Elements version), but it's a true tool for purely editing photos, creating marketing material, changing a photo or combing photos to look nothing like the original, etc... PhotoShop is a pretty poor tool when it comes to sorting through large quantities of photos.

If your willing to buy both, see Aperture as the first step in achieving photographic perfection. It's a sorting tool used to organize and make some minor adjustments, but you may later use Photoshop for the advanced editing.

...hopefully that makes sense.
idave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPhoto '09 and Aperture 2 feel like dogs compared to Aperture 3. I'm totally impressed with the performance. It's almost feels like I have a SSD at times.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad but the system requirements are insane

1 gig of hard drive space for the application

7 gig's for the library

8 gig's total

and it requires a dual core processor to get any performance out of it.

WOW!!!

Thats a lot of money right there in just getting it to run.
WahWahWatson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Aperture support multi-touch gestures in an edit view type window? I can't seem to get pinch-to-zoom or rotation working in the trial version. I find them really handy in iPhoto. I am impressed with the speed though. It feels much snappier than iPhoto or Photoshop Elements.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came away impressed last night. I might pickup a copy in thirty days with my educational discount.
iLife's a Bitch!
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys heard about this one?

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15585/apples_aperture_3_causing_significant_memory_leak_for_many_users?

I think that I'll be holding off until a fix comes out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: