123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vizio P42HD DisplayConfigX Settings Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weslebsack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Vizio P42HD DisplayConfigX Settings Needed Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,
Great forum...I've scoured it and can't seem to find the answer to my question, though. I set up a 2GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini on my Vizio P42HD Plasma today but either get stuck with a stretched 1024x768 or 1280x720 with horrible overscan. I can't seem to find any settings in the TV to disable overscan and since I'm connecting it via DVI, there's no overscan option in the Mac OS X Display Settings.

I have DisplayConfigX. Does anybody have the proper settings for my P42HD TV so that I can achieve a (actual or near) 720p 16:9 resolution without any overscan? Everything I've tried so far has given me the dreaded black screen upon reboot.

Thanks in advance!!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vizio P42HD DisplayConfigX Settings Needed Reply with quote

weslebsack wrote:
Hey Everyone,
Great forum...I've scoured it and can't seem to find the answer to my question, though. I set up a 2GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini on my Vizio P42HD Plasma today but either get stuck with a stretched 1024x768 or 1280x720 with horrible overscan. I can't seem to find any settings in the TV to disable overscan and since I'm connecting it via DVI, there's no overscan option in the Mac OS X Display Settings.

I have DisplayConfigX. Does anybody have the proper settings for my P42HD TV so that I can achieve a (actual or near) 720p 16:9 resolution without any overscan? Everything I've tried so far has given me the dreaded black screen upon reboot.

Thanks in advance!!

I'm not sure, but from the manual(page 29) there isn't a DVI connection, so I'm going to guess that you mean VGA. Oddly the manual says to run it at 1024 by 768 at 60Hz. Also on page 59 it specs the display as a 1024 by 768 display. I keep seeming to see Plasma displays running at this resolution, instead of a proper 16 by 9 resolution.

I did some spelunking over at the AVS Forums(official P42HD 19 page thread) and you might want to try the other classic display of 1366(or 1360) by 768, otherwise, there didn't really seem to be too much information about connecting to Vizio displays via the VGA/RGB connection.

However, it might just not work very well with a computer, because of the specs for the panel.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
weslebsack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey SC,
Thanks for the reply. I don't know why the manual says it only has VGA--it has both. I definitely have the Mac mini connected through DVI.

I've tried some settings I've found online for 1366x768, but it just left me with a black screen. I'll give it another shot, I suppose.

It was so much easier to get the right display settings on the PC I had hooked up previously. At first, it was running at 1280x720 then used the nvidia control panel to adjust the size of the screen output to fix the overscan. I can't seem to find any similar utility for Mac OS X...

I've noticed that too, about the default resolution being 1024x768. I think it has something to do with the plasmas possibly displaying rectangular pixels instead of square. (The pixel ratio of 720p video is 1.33 times wider than the standard square pixel a computer uses.) Try it--if you have Photoshop, create a 1024x768 document using the "HDV 1080/DCPRO HD 720 (1.33)" pixel aspect ratio. It'll give you a perfect 16:9 ratio.

So, I guess the real question is, is there any way to change the pixel aspect ratio on a Mac?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the overscan -
tales wrote:
Try: System Preferences > Displays > Color Tab > Overscan

I think OS X only does square pixels, and handles Pixel Aspect Ratios for media in the player.

As long as there is an AppleTV, I think that Apple will not do anything like supporting rectangular pixels in the regular OS X. Perhaps there is something in the AppleTV display system that can handle rectangular pixels that can be imported into OS X...

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As khisayruou said Its the options tab, i posted from my iMac there isn't an options tab option Embarassed

System Preferences > Displays > Options Tab > Overscan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: