123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flash Substitutes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Flash Substitutes Reply with quote

Since I'm interested in the iPad now, I'm getting curious about what video formats might be viewable on it. I don't own an iPhone so maybe some of you can tell me which video formats function on your iPhones now.

I've read that HTML5 video will work. I know that Flash doesn't work. What about Silverlight? Does it work on an iPhone? Netflix uses the Silverlight plug-in to stream movies for the live Starz channel. They probably use it for their stored movies that are streamed too, but I'm not sure about that. Their instant stream needs Internet Explorer to work, but; their stored movies will stream using the Safari browser. Maybe both are done with different versions of Silverlight.

What other common video formats work on the iPhone? I suppose that anything using Quicktime works. It has been a long time since I found a site that uses Quicktime to stream videos. A few years ago there were quite a few.

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
khisayruou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats by ilounge

As far as the web...Flash and silverlight do not work. HTML5 does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: