123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils iPad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacScout67 wrote:
I also find Apple's excuse for not including Flash to be pitiful. Shouldn't it be up to the end-user to worry about battery life and stuff like that?

Is there an actual statement of this? I'd like to read it.

It's not entirely up to the end-user to worry about battery life. Apple has to worry about that to. If the iPad did everything that "everyone" wanted then the battery might only last a few hours.

You know how people are. If Apple is claiming 10 hours of battey time, if somebody gets 9 it's all over the internet and everyone wants a new battery or some sort of change.

I'm personally not torn up about flash. I find it annoying. I've seen on other sites that some people are happy not to include Flash support.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet/email anywhere on a more usable screen is the main attraction for me. Besides wifi, are there any other alternatives with prepaid data-ONLY plans out there?
the iPhone requires 2 year commitment and Voice plan + data.
I don't even know what data plans are out there for notebooks.
velocitytrap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple Makes Significant Profit on iPad Hardware Sales

A bill-of-materials (BOM) analysis revealed that Apple stands to make $208 on each $499 iPad sold. That figure jumps to $446 per top-end $829 iPad. While some makers lose money on hardware, especially during launches (see Xbox 360, PS3, etc), so that they can make it up in licensing and software sales, Apple doesn’t appear to be bound by those restrictions. Hey, if it works for Amazon's Kindle, it’s bound to work for a company with a much wider (and devoted) fanbase, right?

High profit margins are standard for Apple, which earlier in the week boasted that its corporate margin for 2009's final quarter was 40.1%. Some products, in fact, have estimated margins even higher than Marshall's iPad numbers: The consensus for the iPhone 3GS is above 60%, for example.
Undo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Undo wrote:
deal killer for me.

Probably the most used phrase on the internet this week. Likely if one little thing keeps you from buying a product, you didn't really need the thing to begin with.

For most people, iPad is not going to be a device they NEED. iPad is more of a product people might WANT. I might WANT one for couch surfing in the living room, if I wasn't going to be constantly reminded of content that's missing while surfing.

I've used browsers without Flash. When doing so, it's a pretty regular occurrence to see blank panels on web pages and have to wonder what's there.

If I wanted/needed an iPad mainly for its mobility, then perhaps I wouldn't mind doing without Flash.

And BTW, I couldn't care less about a camera or USB port on the iPad, but that's just me.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

velocitytrap wrote:
A bill-of-materials (BOM) analysis revealed that Apple stands to make $208 on each $499 iPad sold.

Those BOM numbers tend to leave important factors out though. I'm talking like the value of the software and development costs. Therefore, I take them with a grain of salt. I'm not saying that Apple doesn't make nice margins, but it's kind of meaningless to think about that when purchasing a product. I value products on my own and compare them to what else is on the market. Based on that, I happen to think the iPad is fairly priced. Well, at least when it comes to the Wi-Fi models. I'm not sure the 3G models deserve that much of a premium over the Wi-Fi models.
iLife's a Bitch!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I'm not sure the 3G models deserve that much of a premium over the Wi-Fi models.

What's the deal with the additional GPS capability of the 3G model. Does the iPad have to be accessing the 3G network for the additional GPS features?
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Hey, I got a question. Will the regular Apple wireless keyboard work with the iPad? I don't remember hearing anything about that one. I'm thinking no with the iPhone OS though.

It's a go with the Apple wireless keyboard. Look under wireless on the "iPad Design" page.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/design/
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/editors/24731/?a=f

I read this blog on Flash and thought it was interesting. There are a few different perspectives and the writing seems mature.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having Flash would be nice, but I don't think it's a deal breaker. I really have no idea why Apple is blocking it out though. Personally, I'm leaning towards the conspiracy theory of less App Store purchases. The same theory mentioned in the article that Bandit Bill just posted.

Bandit Bill wrote:
What's the deal with the additional GPS capability of the 3G model. Does the iPad have to be accessing the 3G network for the additional GPS features?

Yes, you need 3G connectivity for AGPS. Check this out Bandit Bill.

http://artoftheiphone.com/2008/06/10/iphone-3g-what-is-assisted-gps/
EyeTV 250 Plus
16GB 3G iPhone
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
Yes, you need 3G connectivity for AGPS. Check this out Bandit Bill.

http://artoftheiphone.com/2008/06/10/iphone-3g-what-is-assisted-gps/

I can understand the assisted part. But doesn't that mean it has a GPS built in? You should be able to access the satellite portion of the network ONLY. I understand that it would take longer to figure out its location and require more battery, but it should then work like any other GPS.

Yes/no?

It would have to work this way otherwise if you got out of cell range your assisted GPS would be useless.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Yes/no?

It would have to work this way otherwise if you got out of cell range your assisted GPS would be useless.

Yes, but you'll need a third-party application with offline maps and caching. Take GPS Kit for example.

http://www.garafa.com/GPSKit/Home.html
EyeTV 250 Plus
16GB 3G iPhone
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with no flash. I block it on my Mac Mini anyway. Flash needs to die and get replaced by HTML5 or some open source solution that doesn't depend on Adobe idiot programmers to get it to work without taking 100% of the cpu time and battery life in five minutes. Apple has declared war on this piece of software junk and is betting it can force a move off flash. We will see if that is true. You can use the wifi and bluetooth to connect the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse and the internet without 3G, which just about makes it a complete computer. USB will be available in a connector dongle. The only downside may be the mysterious limitation of no multi-tasking like the iPhone. Is this a hardware limitation of the Apple custom processor?
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
The only downside may be the mysterious limitation of no multi-tasking like the iPhone. Is this a hardware limitation of the Apple custom processor?

I read somewhere the the processor is fully capable of multitasking. It's just restricted.
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Jailbreak Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
MacDSmith2 wrote:
The only downside may be the mysterious limitation of no multi-tasking like the iPhone. Is this a hardware limitation of the Apple custom processor?

I read somewhere the the processor is fully capable of multitasking. It's just restricted.

If this is true then somebody with mad skills needs to crack the code and make it into a multi-tasking machine. They could sell an app to do it. So what if the battery life was cut in half or two thirds. Who is going to be holding their iPad for three hours straight while away from a charger? I suppose people waiting in line at an airport might do that. Don't airlines have charging plugs for cell phones on planes now? I wouldn't know. I don't ever fly.

Someone needing to make their iPad charge last would know to turn off multi-tasking.

Where is the handwriting recognition app? I thought it would have something like that on such a large screen. Is there one for the iPhone? Wouldn't that be a great addition to iWork for the iPad?

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Jailbreak Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:

If this is true then somebody with mad skills needs to crack the code and make it into a multi-tasking machine. They could sell an app to do it. So what if the battery life was cut in half or two thirds. Who is going to be holding their iPad for three hours straight while away from a charger? I suppose people waiting in line at an airport might do that. Don't airlines have charging plugs for cell phones on planes now? I wouldn't know. I don't ever fly.

Someone needing to make their iPad charge last would know to turn off multi-tasking.

Where is the handwriting recognition app? I thought it would have something like that on such a large screen. Is there one for the iPhone? Wouldn't that be a great addition to iWork for the iPad?

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate

The iPhone doesn't have hand writing recognition, as far as I know. It may be hard to write since there isn't a stylus. Pogo does make a stylus for the iPhone, and they also confirmed they'll have something that works on the iPad a few days ago:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358529,00.asp

If Apple doesn't release something for hand writing, it's likely an App they won't prevent someone from developing - at least I hope not.

I would be able to sacrifice battery life for the ability to multitask. You're right Smallwheels, I can't imagine someone not being able to charge their iPad after a couple of hours of use. ...there are many options, I'm sure we can purchase a car charger, there's always those external batteries you can plug into an iPhone to recharge it, and I would imagine companies making solar cases for the iPhone will also invent something for the iPad.

Here's a few options that may work for travelers if modified for the iPad:
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperMac-MacBook-External-Power-s/91.htm
Solar might not work in the plane: http://www.amazon.com/Surge-Hybrid-Solar-Charger-iPhone/dp/B002S53F8E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1264915669&sr=8-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: