123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils iPad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q What's the difference between an iPod's battery & an Ipad battery ?

A. The iPod's battery runs for a week, then it stops working.
The iPad's battery runs for perfectly 28 days...then it starts whining.

Q What are the two things an iPad will never be able to do ?

A Unblock toilets & take out the garbage.

Q What do you call a person who hasn't used their iPad for 3 months ?

A Pregnant

............................................................................................

Three female convicts are on their way to prison.

They were each allowed to take one item with them to help them occupy their time while in jail.

On the bus, one turned to another and said, "So, what did you bring along honey ?"

The first convict (a brunette), pulls out a box of paints and she says :

"I'm going to learn to paint pictures. Then when I get outside again, I'm going to be famous"

The second convict, (a redhead), pulls out a deck of cards saying.

"I brought these here cards. I can play poker, solitaire, you name. I'll be able to outsmart the guards with my card tricks."

The third convict, (a blonde), was sitting quietly and grinning to herself.

The other two took notice and asked :

"Why are you so smug ? What did you bring ?"

She then digs into her bag and pulls out an iPad.

"I brought this."

The other two are puzzled and so they ask her..

"What can you do with that ?"

With a gleam in her eye, she grins back and says.

"Well when the time comes, I be able to go horseback riding, swimming, roller-skating ..."

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
rosco

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so it's a media and web device - which can't do flash?
castaway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings about the iPad. I think it's a brilliant design, but lacks that extra something with the user interface. I also found the part about not having an iSight to be disappointing. And to be honest, I think they should start at 32GB when it comes to storage. iBooks looks absolutely brilliant though. I might be able to look over some of the shortcomings of the iPad with that functionality and software when they are made available here. That leads me to a question about books and storage though. What's the file size of each book going to be?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Apple should have started shipping them yesterday. It seems like the more people sit back and think about the iPad, the less they want one. I would consider myself in this camp as well.
iLife's a Bitch!
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPad looks good for the student. If it can hold a bag of heavy school textbooks it is a good product. I wonder if a 10 year old starts reading books on it what his or her eyes will be like at 20.

I am 53 my birthday was yesterday. It is close to worthless to me to own it. It is a tweener product. It is too big and too small at the same time. I can't put it in a pocket (too big) it can't store enough info (too small).
If I had kids I would prefer they carry it over 20 pounds or 10 kilos of bookbag.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
iPad looks good for the student. If it can hold a bag of heavy school textbooks it is a good product. I wonder if a 10 year old starts reading books on it what his or her eyes will be like at 20.

I have a feeling they are all going to be severely nearsighted.

I think the iPad will be very successful within the education market. I was thinking about something funny though. How long will it take for used iBook titles to hit the store shelf? I used to love buying used books in college that were already highlighted. Plus, they allowed for more pizza and beer money with the less expensive price tag. Smile
iLife's a Bitch!
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undo wrote:
John Gruber has a good take on the iPad. "Fast, fast, fast." http://daringfireball.net

That's one of the good things you keep hearing about the tablet (refuse to call it iPad). Everyone is saying that it's really snappy and responsive. I like John Gruber's take on most things too. I mean, he had a lot of stuff right on this one. Like it not having a camera for one. Which is still a huge disappointment in my book. I just don't understand why Apple left one out. It's not like it would have added much to the cost of the thing. So why not make it future proof or whatever from the bat?
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure you can compare the tablet to a traditional processor based computer. From the reports I've heard, games are really cool on this thing. The apple processor, which is a custom hybrid, combined with the slim down phone OS may be quite fast beyond what you might think trying to compare it to an Intel processor. But I think the best use may be a front end on the go to your Mac Mini network at home. After all, your not going to lug around your video collection on five external hard drives, are you?
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Billistics

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: bleh. Reply with quote

iPad sucks.

I'm sick of these hobbled products apple keeps delivering. If you're going to make an iPad make it run full on leopard.

I won't be buying one of these since I'm locked in to using Safari without flash. How lame is that? Even in the keynote when Jobs was showing the NYT on it and one of the components were flash and it didn't load and some audience members laughed at him.

Apple should start working on iSlate. with these features:

- Full fucking leopard.
- Put a camera in the damn thing
- Usb slots.
- Ability to make cell phone calls.

Right now it's just a big iTouch, BFD.
Zuma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
What's the file size of each book going to be?

I believe they are using the standard ePub format, so they should be that large. A majority of mine now are well under 5MB.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone see any merit in the comment that a video camera that would produce higher quality video would cripple the data flow on ATT as it is now if it were sent to others wirelessly.
I feel they got a great deal on the ATT data plans with no contract and maybe concessed this to ATT and to not make the iPad look crippled.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
Anyone see any merit in the comment that a video camera that would produce higher quality video would cripple the data flow on ATT as it is now if it were sent to others wirelessly.
I feel they got a great deal on the ATT data plans with no contract and maybe concessed this to ATT and to not make the iPad look crippled.

It makes sense to me. Also think of it this way, you won't be able to hold the iPad still. This will result in a huge amount of new data captured with each frame.

eg. Leo Laporte had to reposition the post keynote recording of Macbreak Weekly because people kept walking behind the scene of the shooting. The additional movement was chewing up bandwidth.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if they'd limited a camera to lower res on this bigger 'better' 10" screen then huge complaints and bad reviews would follow.
so maybe limiting some capabilities until networks are up to speed makes sense...with ATTs already battered image and strains due to current iphone data loads etc.
if they weren'so greedy with inflexible plans (up to now) and did metered billing it would be better for the majority- light to moderate users.

I think the iPad plans are a great new sign of things to come for cell and data plans. this is one of the biggest pluses for me for the iPad, mobile internet on a nice device but with flexible data plans, and NO contract!
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see a camera for taking and sending pictures, but video chatting would kill AT&T's network. Honestly, their network seems so fragile now with the iPhone. Sometimes I feel like throwing mine out the car window with all the problems.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally see no need to have a camera in every device I own. The iPad is huge. I wouldn't want to use it as a camera.

I know there are lots of people that think this device should have a camera. I guess you'll just have to vote with your dollars.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: