123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils iPad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...I cannot find ANY write up of the external speaker, (if it has one ) It looks like it has 1 in the bottom where the three grates are. LAME if this thing doesn't have an audible speaker.
Engadget and Gizmodo did a hands on but I didn't see them say anything about the speaker.
somefreak90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I get a video of the entire keynote presentation?
WahWahWatson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somefreak90 wrote:
Where can I get a video of the entire keynote presentation?

I don't see anything on Apple's site, but they usually posts the keynote videos like a couple hours later. So I would keep an eye out here.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/appleevents/

I'm really grooving the tablet. I wasn't planning on buying one, but now I'm thinking that I want one. I didn't expect it to be priced so low either
usarcher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be all over this if it had the front facing camera for Skype/iChat. It still tempts me but I will probably hold off for now and save my money for this summer when I upgrade my iPhone 3G to whatever Apple has in store.
JayMax

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have an Iphone and a Macbook now, so I really can't see the justification for getting one. If I no longer had the Iphone, I could see it as a Itouch substitute, but that's what it seems like a big Itouch to me.

I think the only thing I really like about it, it is that it seems like a really cool gadget, and playing my few Iphone games will rock on that.

I think I'll wait and see if it can be swung on my XMas list, or just play with one at the Apple store and local Best Buy.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
So...I cannot find ANY write up of the external speaker, (if it has one ) It looks like it has 1 in the bottom where the three grates are. LAME if this thing doesn't have an audible speaker.
Engadget and Gizmodo did a hands on but I didn't see them say anything about the speaker.

I haven't read anything about them either, but the specs page says that it has a built-in microphone and speakers. I would imagine that means more than one speaker ending in the letter s. Maybe they are both behind the grates you are talking about.

Hey, that iTunes interface looks cool as shit. It kinda makes iTunes 9 on a Mac or PC look clunky and crowded. I also like the monochrome icons and buttons.
Lori Dixon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you can put more icons down on the Dock? It seems like a lot of space is being wasted down there. You could also say that about each page with the spacing between the icons.
Staxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: iPad as Mac Mini monitor Reply with quote

What are the possibilities of using the iPad as a Remote Access/WiFi enabled external monitor for a mac mini. I understand there would have to be an iPod/iPad app written. Perhaps there is one already? The screen would be obviously small, but if you only used the mini as a server or as a place to say... load and edit photos in iPhoto or download torrents and convert to iTunes/iPod/iPad format. The need for extra computing power for these or other tasks seems perfect for the mini.

I am not in a "computer business", and find myself more & more using my Powerbook for just the things the iPad does well. A perfect scenario would be to replace my aging G4 with a mini & iPad. Using the iPad around the house for what its good at and using it as a monitor for mini when I need to use that.

I realize I could just hook the mini to a TV and get same effect, but I don't have or watch TV. I find if there is something I have to see it is available as a torrent. I could even use eyeTV on the mini. It would be such a waste to buy a 17" monitor (about the smallest you can find cheap) and have it sitting around not being used. Any thoughts?
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read this in activity period today we all cracked up, you all know the jokes coming from this one. I feel Apple's next step is to rename the iPod touch the iPad nano and the iPad the Max iPad. LOL
imola.zhp wrote:
WheelSpinners wrote:
I'm buying the $629 model with 3G. I just wish that I could order or have on today. It's going to be a long February.

Unless I read that wrong, 3g units wont be available for 90 days...

I'll go play with one when they arrive at the local Apple Store, but I hope they've updated their MBP lineup before 30-90 days, planning to purchase a 13" for school.

Apple usually updates the MacBook line end of May to early June when they start their free iPod promotion.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the iPad strikes a nice balance for $499. I just with it would have included a webcam for video.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasshopper wrote:
I think the iPad strikes a nice balance for $499. I just with it would have included a webcam for video.

I personally don't think it's necessary and there are benefits to not having a camera ie. use in businesses or other places where cameras are not allowed.

The 30 pin connector is in the middle of the device. I'm sure there is a camera in development as we speak.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read elsewhere that a camera sending video signals would have made ATT crash and burn. look how ATT works with phone calls and internet.

a lot are complaining and comparing this too much to a Macbook. this a media (iTunes) consumption device, not a replacement for a full computer.

and complaints about the name are so childish. I didn't even think of that. so do these adults snicker when someone pads their bill, or the boss says bring a pad and pencil. or a hot bachelor shows off his cool pad. hee-hee snicker.

ok, abblet, Tapplet, applet - apple likes short simple word structures--mac, book, air, mini, jobs, pod, life, etc. ijobs.

Last edited by gigaguy on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
People are saying the screen is great
$499 price tag

Dislikes:
No camera
No HDMI out

I don't see HDMI Out as a problem although it IS curious Apple didn't supply a way to connect to a larger monitor, unless that is done via the connector... er, it DOES have a connector, doesn't it? But I was hoping for a Display Port Video INPUT! Then you would have a cool Mac Mini portable Video Display.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
Complaints about the name are so childish.

Mad TV made an iPad/iPod parody a while back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs

warning it's done in pretty poor taste, I find it a little offending.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPad....?

Couldn't they have come up with a better name...?

Seriously, the sanitary napkin jokes are already on the net...

Women will stay away for obvious reasons.

Men will be equally embarrassed to go anywhere need it.

Steve needs to get that Cupertino distortion field fixed...fast.. Crying or Very sad

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: