123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils iPad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: bleh. Reply with quote

Billistics wrote:
Apple should start working on iSlate. with these features:

- Full fucking leopard...

Ah! I wondered what Snow Leopard's replacement was going to be called! Very Happy

For the record, I won't be buying an iPad. Last month, I bought myself a 32Gb iPod Touch as an Xmas present and to be honest, I spent a long while wondering if I'd just blown £230 on an expensive gimmick rather than a useful tool. However, I've since used it as a web browser, an eBook reader, a portable outliner and a test bed for the videos I'd like to sell on the net. In other words, it's started to prove its value and I'm happier with the purchase.

But the iPad? It isn't small enough to take outside the house and it isn't big enough to replace the twin displays on my Mini. If it was meant to be Apple's answer to the netbook, I would personally find a Samsung NC10 running Linux to be of much greater use as a creative tool.

I just see the iPad as yet another means for Apple to sell music, movies and apps from the iTunes store.
Undo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: bleh. Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

I just see the iPad as yet another means for Apple to sell music, movies and apps from the iTunes store.

Apple claims they don't make much money on the iTunes store and that it's only there to help sell hardware. Strange.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: bleh. Reply with quote

Undo wrote:
Apple claims they don't make much money on the iTunes store and that it's only there to help sell hardware. Strange.

Yeah Undo, I've heard that one... Rolling Eyes
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Chinese Characters Reply with quote

I read the full specifications on the Apple site today. I noticed that the iPad had hand writing recognition for simple Chinese characters. With so many sensors within the screen it must be possible to recognize hand writing in English. Maybe there is a processor limitation that prevents such script from being recognized fast enough to make it useable.

Anybody here know what level of processing power would be needed for hand writing to work on a touch screen computer?

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Amazon Reply with quote

Last night on a radio show I learned that Amazon.com has stopped offering books published by Macmillan because they are now offering all of their books for the iPad. I don't know if this will be true for other publishers. If that is the case then either Amazon or other book publishers will need to give a bit on this point.

The author of the book being talked about said his book was still available at other major retailers. He didn't seem worried about it.

I didn't hear of Amazon doing this to other publishers because of Sony's e-book reader.

Amazon will probably need to change their tune because if they continue that policy they won't have any books to sell. As the iPad takes off more publishers will participate in the Apple Book Store.

Apparently Amazon doesn't mind still selling Apple computers because those are still listed on their site.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Apple started letting large retail bookstore chains sell iPads? That would encourage more iPad sales. It would mean that such book stores might loose business to the Apple book store but they would loose such business anyway when people bought their iPads elsewhere. At least the book stores could earn a commission for the sale of the iPad.

Maybe Apple could electronically tag reseller's iPads and give a commission to book stores for every book bought at the Apple book store. By doing that they would give book stores an extra incentive to sell the iPads and the book stores could earn some long term profits by selling the units.
Undo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazon Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
Last night on a radio show I learned that Amazon.com has stopped offering books published by Macmillan because they are now offering all of their books for the iPad.

Actually, it's because Macmillan is insisting Amazon raise prices by 50%.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apple Store is down. Maybe they are getting ready to take orders. Smile
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Apple Site Reply with quote

I wonder when the Apple web site will make a tab at the top of the page that says iPad. There are tabs for store, Mac, iPod+iTunes, iPhone, Downloads, and Support.

The web masters of the 123 Mac______ sites need to add a section for the iPad too.

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
I don't know if it's to big for working out yet, it's hard to say for sure without holding one. I used to use my Kindle in the gym, and it was comfortable for reading, but the iPhone screen (with the Kindle App), is a bit to small to read while on a treadmill.

It looks big, but I think it would be killer up on the magazine stand of a treadmill or stationary bike. A more complete movie experience might help the time pass faster. You gotta love that! Smile
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
It looks big, but I think it would be killer up on the magazine stand of a treadmill or stationary bike. A more complete movie experience might help the time pass faster. You gotta love that! Smile

I think you hit on something there; the iPad will find new ways and new uses to be valuable. It seems to me it would be a great portable movie machine, synch'd to your Mac Mini home network, especially with the long battery life and excellent screen graphics. Maybe a good portable book library too, I haven't made up my mind about reading books on a computer. The kindle and sony machines don't cut it for me. Will be interesting if Apple does indeed pull off another device revolution in the world of electronics.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
gigaguy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my movies are 16:9, and the iPad is 4:3. so you lose the maximum screen size with 16:9 movies, TV shows.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
Most of my movies are 16:9, and the iPad is 4:3. so you lose the maximum screen size with 16:9 movies, TV shows.

On the other hand, the resolution of 1024 by 768 in a 10 inch screen is nearly identical to my 26 inch Sanyo 720p TV screen that i watch all my 16:9 movies from my Mac mini on just fine. I don't think it's gonna be a problem on the ipad. Here are the specs from the Apple Site:

9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Screen Resolution Reply with quote

I learned something first hand about screen resolution when I got my first laptop computer.

My other computer was a desktop with a 1028 X 768 15" screen that sat on my desk. When I started watching movies on my Mac Book I kept it on my lap sitting on top of a small upside down styrofoam ice chest lid. It does a great job of cradling the computer. At that close range the screen appears like a much bigger screen would at three feet away. Its apparent size is bigger than my 23" monitor that sits four feet away.

Having an iPad sitting in your lap, even in wide screen mode in the landscape position, your video will seem much bigger in apparent size. If you can sit in a chair with arm rests and hold the screen just 20" away from your face it will look really big.

I think it would be easy to do that with a couple of pillows or some other things to hold it in place at a comfortable distance. Of course you won't have that convenience if you are away from home. It would probably look great sitting flat on a table top. Just sit in a chair and look down. It would be like watching a movie on a notebook turned sideways.

How long do you think it would take to upload a movie to the iPad via USB? Can a home computer with Bluetooth or WiFi stream a signal fast enough to allow one to watch a movie on an iPad? Could the iPad then actually control the play back coming from another computer?

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume you would upload your "portable" movie set from your networked Mac Mini before you go off with your iPad, as it has a limited storage space. Could it stream as well as the Mac Mini over your wifi connection? That remains to be seen. I wouldn't think the 1 mHz A4 processors could be as fast as a 2.66 mHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of memory.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like there's still hope for those wanting a camera on the iPad...
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/02/01/ipad_photos_show_slot_for_forward_facing_video_camera.html

...and after reading this, Flash does not seem like it'll be an option any time soon, since Adobe is apparently a "lazy company":
http://www.macworld.com/article/146045/2010/02/stevejobs_google.html?lsrc=rss_main

Last edited by ESUNintel on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: