123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple January 2010 Media Event Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari And Netflix Reply with quote

Undo wrote:
Smallwheels wrote:
I mean how would one get the iPad recognized by the modem. On my computer set-up I had to choose to only use the ethernet cable or telephone cable. That was done using a CD from my telephone company. Would my telephone company need to give me a way to activate the iPad into their system? I should know about that before deciding to get an iPad if they ever make it capable of running multiple tasks at one time.

Google the model number for your modem. If it's wifi, you should be able to manually configure it for security with a password and then connect to it wirelessly with the iPad using that password. Is that what you were asking?

That is part of what I'm curious about. Is that the way all WiFi devices are recognized? My Mac Book is WiFi capable but I've never used it. My telephone company gave me a code for it in case I wanted to use it as a WiFi device. If I remember correctly I'm supposed to go to my telephone company site and do something with that code whenever I'm trying to access their network. They don't charge me for it. They partnered with AT&T so I should be able to use it on any related WiFi network. That is probably different from using my personal modem which has the antenna function turned off.

What if I didn't have any regular telephone service? Would I still have access to WiFi networks or would I need to access them through some type of paid service? Is that what iPad users will need to do even if they don't get the 3G upgrade?
Undo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari And Netflix Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
That is part of what I'm curious about. Is that the way all WiFi devices are recognized? My Mac Book is WiFi capable but I've never used it. My telephone company gave me a code for it in case I wanted to use it as a WiFi device. If I remember correctly I'm supposed to go to my telephone company site and do something with that code whenever I'm trying to access their network. They don't charge me for it. They partnered with AT&T so I should be able to use it on any related WiFi network. That is probably different from using my personal modem which has the antenna function turned off.

What if I didn't have any regular telephone service? Would I still have access to WiFi networks or would I need to access them through some type of paid service? Is that what iPad users will need to do even if they don't get the 3G upgrade?

I'm confused, but it seems like you're talking about several things here.

It sounds like the modem provided by your ISP is a wireless modem. To connect to it with your MacBook you need the network name and password for it, which is entered in network/airport preferences on your MacBook. Sometimes the modem will be preconfigured with a name and password, which may be the "code" you said your phone company gave you.

Sounds like you're also talking about AT&T free hotspots provided for their cellular customers. I don't know much about that but I think it's something ATT provides to save bandwidth when their customers are near a hotspot. The customer can access the internet that way rather than using the cellular network.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get free hotspots from AT&T for being a DSL customer as well. You just use your primary account name and password to connect. The same one you have entered for your router to connect at home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: