123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple January 2010 Media Event Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A built-in SD slot would have been wicked. Especially seeing the 99% of the netbooks out there have one.
Cupillac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the next iPad will be a fully functioning OS computer?
I'm just staring at my 15" MacBook Pro and wishing it was just the monitor!
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupillac wrote:

Maybe you should look into the Modbook. I think this one is set in stone to run the iPhone OS now.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
jetmech1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: I'm interested. Reply with quote

So far it looks promising to me. I will probably buy one for the wife, then play with it my self.
HP a710n AMD Athlon XP 3100, 1GB,
27" iMac 3.06 C2D
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupillac wrote:

On the one hand, this isn't a computer; it's a large iPhone. On the other hand, they've created a cool backlit LED touch screen with 1078 x 768 resolution in under 10 inches with ports of all the iLife and iWorks type apps from the iPhone app store. I'm torn between OS/X and iPhone apps. I hope Apple doesn't abandon the computer business for totally custom iPhone technology.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the biggest news today to be 3G data plans without a contract.
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: It's Made For Me Reply with quote

I don't own a cell phone and have never used a smart phone so I don't really need to compare the iPad to an iPhone.

This device is only missing one thing that would complete my computing needs (well maybe a couple of things). I make movie presentations for my web site. I plug in my cheap portable video camera and need to edit the videos in iMovie. The camera's internal software is just too basic.

Everything else I do is to just surf the web, e-mail, Skpe calls, streaming radio, take notes while watching video conferences, and to regularly update my web sites.

If Mozilla makes a browser that is compatible with the iPad then it could be used for almost all web sites. I'm really annoyed that Safari 4 doesn't work with all web sites. Lately I've come across several business sites that require interaction with IE or Firefox. Some only work with IE. I hate that.

One thing I didn't see with the Apple iPad presentation was multiple things working at once. If I'm on the web I'm listening to internet radio. Sometimes it is necessary to be surfing the web and using text edit for notes. I'm even listening to the radio while drafting documents. Regularly I need to copy something from one document and paste it into another one.

Are there any applications in the current iPhone store that let people work with html and to test the code?

Overall I really like the iPad concept. Once I hear enough feedback about how well or how poor it is for my purposes I'll decide if I want one.

If Linux files can be shared with it then I'll probably sell my Mac Book and then dual boot my HP with Vista and Linux in order to use some alternative video editing software. I could then use the iPad with Keynote to make better presentations. I'll keep Vista because I need it to use Netflix to stream live Starz channel shows.

It's possible I could come out even on the money aspects of owning an iPad after selling the Mac Book.

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its kind of like a big ipod touch. If this could view hulu and netflix streams on it that would be neat. It would give another use as a portable tele you could just set up in any room.
chris650

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: I'm interested. Reply with quote

jetmech1 wrote:
So far it looks promising to me. I will probably buy one for the wife, then play with it my self.

Skip the iPad, just play with your wife....

Laughing
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that what upsets me you built a ebook reader with internet access thats all and if you want it with cell service another 130.00 verizon is giving there radio's for cellular service for free with a 2 year contract so why should we pay 130.00 for a overpriced wireless adapter.

also did you notice the device is really thin hey lets drop one and see if it still functions...

and here we go again can any one say time to jailbreak...

if i purchase on that is the first thing i would do jailbreak the unit run mac os x snow leopard on it then i would use the ipad.
or_astroman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Just a few things I would have liked to see. Reply with quote

Like everyone else, I'm already redesigning the ipad. Here are a few of the things I'd change.

I'll second Ray, Hulu and Netflix streams would be a huge plus. Of course what kind of an incentive would you then need to "rent" your movies from itunes?

Also, for a device that is supposed to be the best internet experience, it really should be able to handle flash. That's just too big of a part of the web now to leave out. The ability to multi task is another thing needed to make this a real winner. I can't just chat with someone without doing some background surfing at the same time.

They should build in some kinda "peer-to-peer" functions for use with other ipod/iphone devices. Things like linking to use the iphone's camera or the ipod's storage space. That big screen begs for movies and video chatting but the small storage and no camera say no way.

I guess if they did those things the price would be higher or it would put it in other markets that apple didn't want to compete in. Though really, flash seemed like a no-brainer. At the end of the day I guess I'n not the target audience for this guy.

Veteran 1.5Ghz PowerPC(Stock)
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phone OS is a smaller version of OS/X so I don't see why Flash, Netflex, and multi-tasking couldn't be done with a software upgrade, unless the custom hybrid processor somehow prevents it or Flash gobbles up too much processing. But being internet capable, it should run videos from Hulu and Netflex just like the Mac Mini I would think; after all video is supposed to be one of it's features. Does the iPhone handle Flash?
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:

if i purchase on that is the first thing i would do jailbreak the unit run mac os x snow leopard on it then i would use the ipad.

I seriously doubt that can be done; remember, this is NOT an Intel processor based computer. It's a big iPhone with an iPhone custom processor. I doubt it would run OS/X without the kernal port Apple must have done to create the Phone OS in the first place.
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Safari And Netflix Reply with quote

Safari 4 will play Netflix movies in streaming format. Safari 4 isn't supported for live streaming video of the Starz channel through the Netflix service. Just last week I noticed that NBC doesn't support Safari anymore. Show video players will open but it will permanently say something like "Please wait while your video loads." The video won't load. I had to switch to using Firefox to view NBC shows.

I've got the latest Adobe Flash updates in the browser and it still won't work. Something else is not working right.

Since I made my first comment about the iPad I've learned that it can't do multiple things at one time. Since I don't know anybody who has played with one I don't know if this is true. There was somebody at GIZMODO that commented about it not being able to do multiple tasks simultaneously. That would be a deal breaker for me.

We need to realize that today's cell phones have as much computing power as the entire N.A.S.A. space program had when they were sending rockets into outer space. It's funny to me that this iPad is just so good yet just misses the target as is (for my specific purposes).

I suppose I'm expecting it to be a replacement computer when it isn't really intended to do that job yet. So my expectations for the device are beyond its design capabilities. Many others here seem to have similar expectations.

I don't really want an iPod though they are cool devices. I don't want a cell phone though they are useful tools for people who need them. I do want an e-book reader (I actually sell an e-book on my site). I do like the idea of a portable video device but I don't actually need one. I do like the idea of a portable web browser for comparing prices of items while out shopping. It would also be useful for doing research on items while shopping.

If WiFi were everywhere this would be a great device for me as a toy/tool. I live in a small town and have no idea if WiFi is even available beyond a couple of coffee shops that I don't use.

The iPad weight is just right. I can imagine having a dedicated sleeve for it in my backpack and making it a permanent part of my daily life.

Is my home computer modem antenna for WiFi? I've never used it or set it up because I didn't ever want others to use my bandwidth. How would one use WiFi in their home if that modem antenna is a WiFi antenna? I mean how would one get the iPad recognized by the modem. On my computer set-up I had to choose to only use the ethernet cable or telephone cable. That was done using a CD from my telephone company. Would my telephone company need to give me a way to activate the iPad into their system? I should know about that before deciding to get an iPad if they ever make it capable of running multiple tasks at one time.

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Undo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari And Netflix Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
Is my home computer modem antenna for WiFi? I've never used it or set it up because I didn't ever want others to use my bandwidth. How would one use WiFi in their home if that modem antenna is a WiFi antenna? I mean how would one get the iPad recognized by the modem. On my computer set-up I had to choose to only use the ethernet cable or telephone cable. That was done using a CD from my telephone company. Would my telephone company need to give me a way to activate the iPad into their system? I should know about that before deciding to get an iPad if they ever make it capable of running multiple tasks at one time.

Google the model number for your modem. If it's wifi, you should be able to manually configure it for security with a password and then connect to it wirelessly with the iPad using that password. Is that what you were asking?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: