123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prepping my Mini for Boot Camp W7 install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Prepping my Mini for Boot Camp W7 install Reply with quote

I have an Intel Mini w/ a 1.83ghz processor and 1gb RAM
Purchased in 2007

I have some concerns I'd like to address before installing W7 on it.

1. The current amount of RAM. Is it enough? If it isn't enough is it preferable to upgrade it before...or after the BC-W7 install?

2. Performance issues with Snow Leopard.

Since installing snow leopard I've noticed a decrease in speed when accessing certain portions of my machine:

right clicking on dock icons often causes them to 'hang' or 'freeze' before I can do anything with them. (simply holding the click key on a dock icon works great, though)

changing desktop background: takes long time to load all wallpapers I've saved.

iTunes has slowed down mainly when accessing the media (150+ gigs) located on an external HDD (Newertech Ministack).

and just a general slower performance.

I understand that SL has been reported to run slower than it's predecessor but these 'hangs' and wait times get annoying. IS THIS AN INSUFFICIENT RAM ISSUE or SHOULD I CONSIDER DOING A COMPLETE REINSTALL OF LEOPARD AND SNOW LEOPARD? My recollection was that installing SL took an awful lot of time...too long and my Mini's HDD doesn't have all that much on it. OSX, apps, and files are only eating up 20gb of a 120gb drive.

Any advice? If I decide to let the Apple Store do a clean reinstall for me will they charge me for it given the issues I'm experiencing? (I do have Apple Care).
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else here that "Echo"? Wink
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLO.....HeLLoo......Hellooo.,,,,...helloooo
EXT. HD:Lacie D2Quadra-1TB and WD Studio 2TB
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: