123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XP Mode in new Mac Mini ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ADONISADONIS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: XP Mode in new Mac Mini ? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have a Mac Mini and I installed Win 7 32 bit Ultimate using Boot Camp.
Can I also install the XP Mode inside the Win 7 in order to use some softwares made for XP?

Is that possible?

Or I will need to buy the XP and make another install ?
Cristinijames

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Yes it is possible to install the Xp over the windows any version but over the Xp you can't install the windows version as like can possible to install Xp over the windows 98 and not possible to install 98 over xp.

have it try to install.
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
have a Mac Mini and I installed Win 7 32 bit Ultimate using Boot Camp.
Can I also install the XP Mode inside the Win 7 in order to use some softwares made for XP?

Well, that I have had a problem with, so if someone finds the solution, post it. From the advice that I have received here.......that it is easier to first install XP and then W7. In my case I would start all over that way but I really do not want to screw up what is working now for W7 upgrade disc I am using (valid activation, etc...)

I went with W7 first and when I tried to install XP through Windows, the xp installation would never do a restart to complete the installation, even though the XP files showed up on XP partition inside of windows 7.

You can look at my lengthy explanation describing my lack of success. http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25854

.....and I did quite a bit of reading at this windows seven site on dual boot XP and W7. But none are using Bootcamp as the initial boot program.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

I have found that W7 has served all my needs and runs just about all my old XP programs. So maybe I don't need it. It would have been fun though to have a "native" triple boot. There is always the other option of using some sort of virtual software, but for me I really do not want to run all these OS's on the same platform.

Good luck
EXT. HD:Lacie D2Quadra-1TB and WD Studio 2TB
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooooooops. Embarassed

I just re-read your post that you are using W7 Ultimate, so forget everything I have told you since it has it's own XP mode. My comment deals with W7 Home version.

Sorry for any confusion.
EXT. HD:Lacie D2Quadra-1TB and WD Studio 2TB
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".
ADONISADONIS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win 7 Ultimate XP mode, it will be a partion (XP Mode inside Win 7) into a partion (Win 7 Inside Mac).
A boot inside a boot. A virtual machine inside a virtual machine.

That is what I was wondering; if I will be able to use the XP mode without a need to buy the XP CD

I have doubts if this is possible to work out and I am not sure how MacMini will react having a partition inside a partition. Of course, the only way to find out this, is to try it but I don't want to mess up my MAc's Leopard system.

Windows has the virtual machine which can used in order to have XP mode inside Win 7 Ultimate, but since Win 7 Ultimate are installed via boot camp in Mac, I am not sure if XP mode will work in order to use the Mac without have any problems.
koyado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: XP Mode in new Mac Mini ? Reply with quote

ADONISADONIS wrote:
Hey guys,

I have a Mac Mini and I installed Win 7 32 bit Ultimate using Boot Camp.

Is that possible?

Or I will need to buy the XP and make another install ?

your mac mini is late 2009?, what do you do to install Windows?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: