123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An honest comparison between Mac OS and MS Windows
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waspinator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: An honest comparison between Mac OS and MS Windows Reply with quote

There's no question about it. Mac OS works more smoothly and reliably than Windows. I have a PC laptop with 4gigs of ram, a 300 gig hard-disk that is about 5 months old. Recently installed Windows 7 on it. Windows 7 is a hell of a lot smoother than Windows Vista, but there are still glitches. Occasionally, it is sluggish too. I've been using this Mac for about a week now, and it functions smoothly as can be. The difference is quite noticeable.

But there is one area where Windows is better than Mac. Adjustability and customizability. You can adjust everything on Windows and Microsoft based programs. Not so on a Mac.

For example, MS Internet Explorer has a nifty information string at the bottom of the browser. When you run the mouse over a link (without clicking on it), the URL of that link will show up in that information string. You can opt to remove the string if you don't want it. I've searched high and low in Safari for such an information string, and none exists.

Or, for example, if you want to put your bookmarks in a certain order, you can't seem to do that either. They are organized in the way you add them, and it can't be changed as far as I can tell.

I have a hunch that, despite the smoother performance of Macs, I'm going to have to get used to some loss of customizability!
gigaguy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't that a browser issue, and not an OS issue?
answer- use another browser,
Firefox with add-ons galore. I like how it handles bookmarks better than Safari.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: An honest comparison between Mac OS and MS Windows Reply with quote

Waspinator wrote:
For example, MS Internet Explorer has a nifty information string at the bottom of the browser. When you run the mouse over a link (without clicking on it), the URL of that link will show up in that information string. You can opt to remove the string if you don't want it. I've searched high and low in Safari for such an information string, and none exists.

Hi there, Waspinator. If you have a look at Safari's "View" menu, you'll see an option marked "Show status bar". Clicking that should give you that information string at the bottom of the window.

Waspinator wrote:
Or, for example, if you want to put your bookmarks in a certain order, you can't seem to do that either. They are organized in the way you add them, and it can't be changed as far as I can tell.

Well, if you're referring to the bookmark buttons that are underneath the address bar, you'll find that you can re-order them by simply dragging-and-dropping each button to whatever position you want it to appear.

Hope this helps!
Waspinator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: An honest comparison between Mac OS and MS Windows Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Waspinator wrote:

Hi there, Waspinator. If you have a look at Safari's "View" menu, you'll see an option marked "Show status bar". Clicking that should give you that information string at the bottom of the window.

Waspinator wrote:

Well, if you're referring to the bookmark buttons that are underneath the address bar, you'll find that you can re-order them by simply dragging-and-dropping each button to whatever position you want it to appear.

Hope this helps!

Aaah. Right you are! Thanks a million! Still though, there are some other things that can't be adjusted on Mac OS that can be adjusted on Windows.

Overall, though, I'm really happy with the switch. I don't think I will purchase another PC again.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to assist! As Gigaguy mentioned, there is more than one browser for the Mac. You might want to check out "Camino", "Chrome", "Firefox" or "Opera". Smile
Waspinator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Happy to assist! As Gigaguy mentioned, there is more than one browser for the Mac. You might want to check out "Camino", "Chrome", "Firefox" or "Opera". Smile

Actually, I'm not a big fan of Firefox. To be totally honest, I was quite happy with Internet Explorer.

Another question:

The menu bar at the top of my desktop--is it possible to change the font?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: An honest comparison between Mac OS and MS Windows Reply with quote

Waspinator wrote:
Aaah. Right you are! Thanks a million! Still though, there are some other things that can't be adjusted on Mac OS that can be adjusted on Windows.

That's a bit of a blanket statement. I've seen it made many times. Typically it's a case of simply not knowing OS X as well as Windows.

What are your other examples? Perhaps there is a way it can be done is OS X.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: An honest comparison between Mac OS and MS Windows Reply with quote

Waspinator wrote:

But there is one area where Windows is better than Mac. Adjustability and customizability. You can adjust everything on Windows and Microsoft based programs. Not so on a Mac.

I have a hunch that, despite the smoother performance of Macs, I'm going to have to get used to some loss of customizability!

Not all parts of the Windows system are customizable. But I do appreciate the ability in windows to move the taskbar up / down or to left or right.

As regards strings of information. In Safari you only have to go to "Window" and click on "Activity" And if you want HTML detail concerning the page go over to View and click on Source.

You can even add color to the syntax.

http://www.tildesoft.com/Misc.html#SafariSource

Cheers

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
dannyv45
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing about Mac over windows browsing is you don't need to worry so much about those nasty nasty viruses.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be too over confident.

OS X isn't 100% immune.

And I am not talking about the nonsense 'pwned' set-up where a mac Laptop was busted in 60 seconds..

There are weaknesses in every system.

Human beings are fallible. It therefore follows purely from a logic pov, that anything produced by human beings, must also be fallible.

In someways, Windows supreme position in the OS stakes guarantees its going to draw the biggest bead : but that landscape will change as hackers come more to grips with Google's Chrome : Linux OS X's underpinnings.

In the meantime, keep everything up to date..& stay alert.

Cheers

Aqua

Which would you choose?

Last edited by Aquafire on Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
jameswatson3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: An honest comparison between Mac OS and MS Windows Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

That's a bit of a blanket statement. I've seen it made many times.

You mean like, "Mac is just easier to use than Windows?"

Razz

Just got my mini yesterday which I'm enjoying. I chose it primarily for the form factor but have already learned to appreciate the lack of a registry and the more linux-like approach to application install/uninstall.

On the annoyances side, I definitely prefer Windows use of a menu bar on every open window. It is a royal pain having to Alt-Tab or otherwise assign focus on an app before having access to the menu bar.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: An honest comparison between Mac OS and MS Windows Reply with quote

jameswatson3 wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

That's a bit of a blanket statement. I've seen it made many times.

You mean like, "Mac is just easier to use than Windows?"

Razz

James, you're absolutely right -- it's wrong to say that a Mac is easier to use than Windows, 100% of the time.

It's more like 90% of the time... Cool

jameswatson3 wrote:
Just got my mini yesterday which I'm enjoying. I chose it primarily for the form factor but have already learned to appreciate the lack of a registry and the more linux-like approach to application install/uninstall.

On the annoyances side, I definitely prefer Windows use of a menu bar on every open window. It is a royal pain having to Alt-Tab or otherwise assign focus on an app before having access to the menu bar.

The single-menu-bar-for-all-apps approach has been the Mac way of doing things since 1984. When I first switched from Windows, I also found it rather strange. But after a week or two, you adjust your way of working and then it becomes second nature. Wink
newbie1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: An honest comparison between Mac OS and MS Windows Reply with quote

[quote="Aquafire"][quote="Waspinator"]

I

I too have changed from windows PC to mac mini and there are somethings i dont like about the MAc OS that i cant seem to change

Wonder if you can help?
1. Smaller text can look nice and clear ( often on web pages) but med and larger text seems very blury when comparing the same page on the pc with the same monitor

The standard mac font also seems unable to be changed and has a somewhat blury/jaggered appearence - anyway to alter. Apple tell me it isnt possible to do both these things

2. Windows lets you change background colours on windows/boxes/menus etc, so you aint always looking at a white background screen - can change it to a grey or beige if have sensitive eyes to too much white - is this possible in anyway?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a theme editor, or a replacement theme if you want to change that stuff.

As for the font size, changing it depends on the browser you use, but chances are CMD + will make the text bigger, and CMD - will make it smaller.

I think Apple took away the font smoothing option in 10.5, but I would venture to guess that there are apps out there that might be able to adjust it.

Also - Another browser available is OmniWeb.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: An honest comparison between Mac OS and MS Windows Reply with quote

newbie1 wrote:

This has been asked before.

Since i avoid using Explorer, I am not exactly sure what you mean by information strings. I know what it means to me, but my understanding may be different to yours.

However, you say you checked high & low on Safari.

I am wondering if you checked two areas. It depends on what information you want.

For instance go to 'Window' then scroll down to 'Activity' that will show you the history as well as a break down of the present window you are looking at.

The second area in Safari to use for URL information is called 'View Source'. Simply go over to 'View' scroll down the list till you hit 'View Source'

Here is an example of what I can access using Safari.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers

Aqua

Which would you choose?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: